Slide roller replacements

kbausano

Thank goodness we hadn’t yet replaced our damaged flooring after the first roller bracket broke, as we just had another one give way after a short trip. We want to replace all of them before we replace the flooring. I don’t really want to go back with the standard replacements, as they obviously don’t hold up under the weight of the fridge, stove, TV and fireplace. Someone had posted a replacement from Sears, but can’t find it now. Does anyone have a suggestion? I’ve also read on a forum that extended warranties don’t cover these rollers and brackets.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

~Deidra

G_S

I am still battling with the extended warranty company, have not quite given up yet. Going on three weeks however.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kbausano

I know you guys have had your roller/bracket challenges too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

G_S

Portfolio extended warranty company bought at Manteca rv and motorhome

kbausano

Here’s what’s left.

db027335db46d931888695ec076563f7.jpg
074d38b738a2f5f48ec1f959445027ce.jpg
3c26d2aa1d6edc68ce5bcdf6fdd83e36.jpg
607e01fdd66417bda80515fe8b06888d.jpg

G_S

Okay update: Warrantee is holding fast on their decision to not cover our rollers. However the dealership alleges that they are going to pick up the repairs. I am not going to count on that until the repairs are actually started.

kbausano

After removing the vertical trim that hides the roller mechanisms: we found all three major rollers (under the fridge and stove) were damaged. 2 rollers had come loose due to bent or broken brackets, and the third (that was repaired 18 months ago, after the frame broke on that one as well) had roller failure, as the bearings inside the roller itself have shattered, sending bearing pieces and ball bearings skittering across the floor.

Possibly a slide adjustment was not done correctly - putting too much pressure on the leading interior edge of this slide

3eb255a824196e2131940b8f119a8ce5.jpg

7a7e9163d0f9a9d3aa4799a1eaa74bee.jpg
7ab402ac97b5599e7b2b5c5b1ec651bb.jpg
f9d7726f9a127fe6cc12b9ed4e582943.jpg
0a07d50a72ab5126bf4615a76e1f7769.jpg
a3d587edf9d84f544419955d9a8d6f7d.jpg
30644d4a0dd35b292518b5927ca2a844.jpg

Piperflyer

Your not the first it happened too. The metal is to thin to be stamped out and fails after being stressed. Hopefully, Heartland realizes this now after all the complaints and started using a heavier metal bracket on their new model RV's now. They should be honoring a fix for the inferior parts they used, even after the warranty expires. This is not due to wear, but cheap parts!

G_S

They used a cast aluminum from what I can tell, not sturdy enough for the weight of a residential fridge, and once that roller is compromised it puts excessive stress on the other two rollers.

G_S

Ken, who did you talk to at Heartland customer service?

Piperflyer

They used a cast aluminum from what I can tell, not sturdy enough for the weight of a residential fridge, and once that roller is compromised it puts excessive stress on the other two rollers.

When I took mine apart to fix it, I found there was only two rollers instead of the three it was suppose to have. I had to add a third roller under the frig. Must be my RV was built on a Monday and my rig by-passed quality control

sengli

So what is the answer to this issue? Are there stronger rollers out there? Wouldnt you have to remove the slide to actually replace those broken ones?

Piperflyer

So what is the answer to this issue? Are there stronger rollers out there? Wouldnt you have to remove the slide to actually replace those broken ones?

Heartland replaced my broken rollers with the same roller which was 2 yrs ago. I am not sure if they changed to a heavier roller since then. No you don't have to remove the slide to change rollers. You need to remove some flooring on your slide and pull out the frig to get to the rollers. It is a good day job to do it yourself.

wdk450

On my rig along with the roller frames failing, I noted that there were no rollers directly under the heavy weight load of the refrigerator. In doing the repair job, I moved one of the rollers over to support the refrigerator weight better. On my rig I did NOT have to remove the refrigerator (Dometic side-by-side 12 CF). I just had to remove the slide inside lower wood trim, used a bottle jack and cribbing to lift the slide outside one end at a time (this gave better clearance), got down on the floor with narrow nose vice grips and 1/4 inch screwdriver bits clamped in the vice grips to begin to loosen the screws, and maybe just the vice grip jaws on the screw heads to better remove it. I replaced the screws with hex head types so that if I have to do the job again, I can just use an end wrench to remove the screws.

Piperflyer

On my rig along with the roller frames failing, I noted that there were no rollers directly under the heavy weight load of the refrigerator. In doing the repair job, I moved one of the rollers over to support the refrigerator weight better. On my rig I did NOT have to remove the refrigerator (Dometic side-by-side 12 CF). I just had to remove the slide inside lower wood trim, used a bottle jack and cribbing to lift the slide outside one end at a time (this gave better clearance), got down on the floor with narrow nose vice grips and 1/4 inch screwdriver bits clamped in the vice grips to begin to loosen the screws, and maybe just the vice grip jaws on the screw heads to better remove it. I replaced the screws with hex head types so that if I have to do the job again, I can just use an end wrench to remove the screws.

How do you miss putting a roller under the heaviest support of the slide. Just very poor quality control

Piperflyer

How did you take the wooden toe kick off?

Pry something thin between the toe and flooring. Also remove flooring over the rollers, it makes it a lot easier to replace rollers. The wood is held in place with only small staples. I screwed flooring and toe back together after fixing rollers, in case I had to remove in the future.