Slide roller replacements

kbausano

As an update, I’m copying a letter sent to Robert Miller of Heartland Southwest Service, who had been amazingly responsive and helpful prior to Thanksgiving in getting our Bighorn with all 3 larger rollers broken to Tucson for the holidays. I sent the following letter to him and others, with an update on the repair work completed by a mobile tech in Tucson. Sadly, I have not received a reply of any kind since, and it appears the email was indeed sent from my account. Thus, I’ll go ahead and post the letter below.

Hi Robert,

Just an update: we were able to travel to Tucson from central California with only 1 of 3 kitchen slide rollers intact. A mobile service technician is with us today to replace broken rollers.

Here’s the rub: all 3 rollers were mounted to the slide floor where cutouts for them were carved by hand. ALL were cut crooked, meaning each of these rollers were trying to do their job NOT at a 90 degree angle. This caused enough tension (apparently) to break all 3 roller frames, and destroy one roller itself.

We are re-cutting the slide cutouts, and reinstalling the replacement rollers and frames square to the slide ‘path’ now - something that was clearly a factory build issue.

I’m sending along some photos to clarify our discovery - and I’m hoping Heartland will reconsider their coverage on our Bighorn - as well as pass these significant findings on to factory build supervisors.

Just to recap - poor, un-square cuts then caused slide rollers to be mounted at such an angle that the brackets themselves bent, broke or tore apart, releasing the rollers. This then left jagged roller frames naked, causing multiple large flooring tears.

This repair is not simply a slide adjustment issue, operator error nor an issue of roller frame strength. The very foundation of all this subsequent damage rests on the initial factory buildout, allowing inaccurate cuts to pass through quality inspection. These rollers, stressed beyond their specs due to improper installation, fairly rapidly disintegrated.

Your further interest and attention to our challenges here will be greatly appreciated!

7d09cf0e8df58f8066b8a210e0fe6c9c.jpg

57daaa13d7048810e67d3b241d519ddd.jpg

ae2d88f5bf547fb8a6a5c8ecc8b62da6.jpg

Btw, I have a full compliment of photographic evidence available if needed.

Ken Bausano

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G_S

Well our latest news on our slide out rollers is that the extended warranty company will not cover it, Heartland will not cover it (the supervisor was supposed to call me back, however no call), and the dealership has “offered to do the work at “their cost” roughly $2500. How generous of them.

Piperflyer

Well our latest news on our slide out rollers is that the extended warranty company will not cover it, Heartland will not cover it (the supervisor was supposed to call me back, however no call), and the dealership has “offered to do the work at “their cost” roughly $2500. How generous of them.

Well at least it's good to know I saved $2500+ on fixing it myself. Where are you located? I'm in AZ, if your close to me, I would be glad to help you out fixing it. This is why this rig will be my last Heartland product. Mine broke a week after the warranty expired and Heartland refused to even talk about it. Extended warranties are just a money scam for the dealers
Good luck

G_S

Our rig is in Washington state, the dealership we have to take it to is in California and we are heading to Tucson after that.

G_S

Update: we got the rollers that I bought and had reinforced installed, at Manteca Trailer and RV they quoted me 2500 for the job and two to three days. They actually did the job in one day at a charge of $1150. Thank you to Dave Kenney the owner for keeping his word.

Now I have a question about flooring since I will need to do that myself.
The Allure Vinyl Planks, I have been told that I may have a problem with replacing the carpeted area in our living room area due to the roller type in that area. Has anyone had a problem with it?

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
We put the Allure planks down. No problems from slides on either side.