Transporting Bicycles

GregP

I want to carry two full size bicycles along when we travel and am thinking I might be able to stow them in the basement area. We don't full-time, so this area is not as loaded when travelling as some others. We have a 2014 Bighorn 3010RE and I don't have a rear bumper or trailer hitch on the RV. Don't want to add a hitch to the front of the tow vehicle as I want to keep as much air as possible flowing into the engine (and don't want bikes covered in bugs!). Anyone out there used the basement storage and have any input?

Restofrank

We put our full size bikes in our Bighorn 3270 basement garage all the time, I lay one down and put a blanket on top of it and lay the other bike on top of it but, I do have to remove the front wheel on on the bike on top. There is still plenty of room of other camping gear.

'Lil Guy'

I have the front rec hitch on my ram. I added a teo bike rack for our bikes and they rode great. Don't see how the spoked wheels or bike frames are going to block any air into the grill. Easy to load and unload.

BarbandFrank

We also have a front hitch on our Ram with a Thule carrier and two full size bikes. We remove the seats and lower the handle bars when driving so as not to obstruct the view. Works well for us — we are full time.

GregP

Thanks for the responses. I have been thinking about a solution for some time. The front hitch receiver and bike rack looks like a good alternative, but I was thinking of covering the bikes in transit with a protective cover, which might block some of the air flow to the engine. Don't want to leave bikes uncovered as they will get plastered with bugs and road dust/oil etc. It sounds like I should be able to carry the bikes in the basement with some minor alterations to the bikes while stored. The trailer is in winter storage now, so I will have to wait 'till spring to check things out. Thanks again all.

RoadJunkie

However you decide to mount your bikes, just be sure you actually ride them!! So many times I’ve seen extravagant mounting schemes, obviously using time and money to install, and the bikes never seem to get ridden. I break-down my bike and transport it lying flat in the bed of the truck.

Geodude

We put my wife's bike (road or mountain, depending on the trip) in the main basement, standing up, front wheel off. My bike (road or mountain) goes in the front basement, again with the front wheel off. I like this way of transporting them because they stay safe and clean and out of the way.

GregP

RoadJunkie, I hear what you are saying. I am not a "hard core" cyclist, but want to bring the bikes along to have options for travel when we are camped in bike-friendly locations. I use the bikes at home to do occasional shopping and recreational riding, and thought it would be good to have them with us. When we had a travel trailer before, I used to carry the bikes in the bed of my pick-up and built a rack so that I could mount them upright for travel.

Geodude, do you mount the bikes in a rack or just prop them upright?

Geodude

We just prop them up - usually leaning against the wall and throw a blanket on to protect them.

aatauses

We have a chevy 3500and use a roof mount for our bikes---made by Yakima---no issue putting the bikes up and they ride just fine.
al
currently in AZ