Water Heater Stopped Working

dseavu

Our water heater was working without issue until today. Neither the Electrical nor LP are working. We checked fuses and breakers and all are good. Any suggestions?

We have a 2018 Cyclone 3513.

danemayer

Hi dseavu,

First thing: do you have a Suburban water heater, or an Atwood? If you remove the exterior cover, you will find the manufacturer model # plate.

danemayer

I've attached an Atwood wiring diagram and diagnostic aid. If no power is getting to the control board, you may have to look for the junction box on the front inside corner of the water heater. To gain access, you'll probably have to take down the rear wall of the pass through basement storage.

Also, before going to far, make sure your 12V DC supply is good. Nothing on the water heater will work without a good 12V DC supply. You can check the voltage at the battery monitor (with the holding tank monitor). On shore power you should have 4 lights. Disconnected from shore power, you should have at least 3 lights.

Atwood Water Heater Diagram.jpg

Attachments

• Atwood Water Heater Service Electric.pdf
    210.4 KB · Views: 12

KyleC

Is anything working on it?

What is happening when you turn the switch on?

This is my second camper and the only problems I've had with mine have been atwood hot water heater troubles. Lol. Not dissing the brand. Just what I've been dealt. So I'm kinda a pro at fixing ;)

Kyle

GK2018

I have an Atwood hot water heater as well that did the same thing as yours and mine was the control board, I exchanged the old one under warranty and while waiting for it to arrive I bought one that was the exact same as i took out I installed it and worked great then picked up the warranted one it looked identical but the model number on it was one digit off but figured I'd try it out since it was supposed to be same part and had same problem all over again reinstalled the one I purchased and no issues from then on. Couple other things to check is thermal fuse if you have one, the on/off switches (unlikely they both stopped working but hey ya never know I've seen stranger things) and unplug and clean any connections where your hot water heater is located. In my experience these hot water heaters always like to go out and usually at the most inopportune time lol but after messing with them quite a bit they get easier to troubleshoot and fix. Hopefully that helps!