Pin Box for Bighorn

wingnut

New to the owners group.
We recently purchased our 42 ft Bighorn and a 2013 Silverado 3500 DRW, 8' bed, B&W Companion hitch already in the truck. There is a quite bit of jerking when towing the fiver. I am looking at different pin boxes to upgrade the Lippert 1621 HD. These seem to to top the list;

1. 5th Airborne premium fifth wheel air-ride coupler
2. Trailair Air Ride
MORryde Pin Box

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary521

You will probably get a lot of opinions on this. I did two things. I added a 5th airborne pin box and air bags to the truck. These additions work very well. Many people have used the other pin boxes with success.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
Like anything else you can spend a ton of cash trying to smooth out your ride. We have the B&W hitch and after talking to a lot of people we went with the Morryde pin box. It may not be the best but it works very well for us. Zero chucking and with the airbags on the pickup it offers a very comfy ride.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I put a 5th Airborne on our BH several years ago and am happy with it. There are some roads (like I-69 in Michigan) that would give a hovercraft a rough ride.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NYSUPstater

Having a 5th AB on previous coach, we purchased a new 5th AB for new coach and had it shipped directly to dealer and installed before we picked it up. B&W Patriot in truck, no chucking/jerking. Very happy. Oh, pin wt is 3700, fully loaded RV wt is 15980.

wingnut

Thanks for the advise. I was leaning toward the 5th airborne pin box due to the fact that the bag is not exposed.
The Airbag kit looks like a good addition to a smoother ride. The coach we had had airbags and rode very smooth.
Is the Firestone the best airbag kit?

MTPockets

I can’t personally compare, but had the MorRyde and no jerking after traveling extensively for nearly five years.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
At 210 lbs I don't call that a lightweight design, which they do. What would a heavyweight design weigh? Interesting concept though.

Interesting. In the video, they show it comes apart into 3 sections, so the 210 lbs. must be the complete unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dave10a

At 210 lbs I don't call that a lightweight design, which they do. What would a heavyweight design weigh? Interesting concept though.

Weight can be a concern, but after watching the video it breaks down in three pieces and appears to be easy to deal with when installing or removing. The only issue I can see is the cost. However, when I consider the cost of my TrailAir and 20K Reese the Super ride would replace-- the cost is very reasonable.

Gary521

Thanks for the advise. I was leaning toward the 5th airborne pin box due to the fact that the bag is not exposed.
The Airbag kit looks like a good addition to a smoother ride. The coach we had had airbags and rode very smooth.
Is the Firestone the best airbag kit?

Either the Firestone or AirLift are good. I installed this myself and it appeared that Airlift was a bit easier to install with what I had. I also have the wireless controller for the pump.