Cell service

bishgeo

Verizon vs at&t while traveling. Who’s paying what and how is service.

Last edited by a moderator:

jnbhobe

Verizon has the best service, don't know about price, I think we pay about $45 per phone for unlimited

MTPockets

We used Verizon while traveling in 49 States and Canada. Worked very well for us. At the time we drove North to Alaska, 2011, we had a calling plan that included Canada. If you’re traveling in Canada check plan pricing.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Same here. We too have traveled the US with Verizon. We didn’t bother with a Canadian plan traveling to AK as service is spotty to nonexistent north of Prince George. We have the unlimited plan too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mlpeloquin

Verizon has the best coverage overall, but does have low and non service areas depending on parks and locations. We still have AT&T with the same problems. Mostly do to the distance to the transmitter or the terrain. We have install a weBoost mobile signal booster that has solved all the signal problems thus far. So far only three parks have given us problems without the weBoos. This is not a problem for an overnight stay, but for extended stays we need to stay connected.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
Same as the others. Verizon has the best coverage and we have unlimited data plans. We pay for unlimited on our data hub and 3 phones about $159.00 per month after taxes.

CoveredWagon

I have AT&T. There are too many dead areas in the country where there shouldn’t be, DW has Verizon and it works well in those same areas. I’m done with them and will be switching to Verizon very soon. 😡

danemayer

I'm not sure you can get a useful cost comparison without factoring in the number of phones, MiFis, etc., whether paying for phones in the monthly bill, and the size of the data plan. We pay $20/phone line, $10 for the MiFi, and $50 for a 4GB data plan. Plus taxes and fees. When on the road for longer periods, I'll bump the data plan up for that period. At our summer location, we don't need much data on Verizon because we have great park WiFi with 20GB/day data allowance.

We're on Verizon and have very good coverage. We dumped AT&T early in our RV travels as the data speeds were much worse than Verizon. At the time (probably less so today) AT&T used partners in many places to get nationwide coverage. The partners often provided downgraded data service. Go to the provider coverage maps and drill down to see the coverage in places you plan to visit.

jbeletti

I started RVing (2004) with AT&T but found it to be marginal in more rural areas (at that time - certainly better now). I switched to Verizon and have been pretty happy with it.

As Dan mentioned, pricing comparison will be difficult due to the myriad of plan choices and bundles.

I pay $279 per month for:
- Smart Phone
- Smart Phone
- Tablet
- Hot Spot

So that's 4 devices. Unlimited data plan on all devices with the first 15 GB of that (per device) being unthrottled.

Lynn1130

As Dan said, price comparing is not much help as plans are different and in my case, with business, not even close to the plans that Verizon offers to regular subscribers. I switch many years ago because AT&T had bad coverage in many of the areas we camped. Even with Verizon there are some areas that are lacking. The Rim in northern Arizona is a dead spot for most any signal.

This one is much like tires, trucks and other endless loop discussions. It is in the eye of the beholder.

OpaTim

I use Verizon and when is some remote areas the signal is very weak. Any recommendations as to how to increase signal strength?

Tim Handel
Southern California

Jim Posz

We are Verizon customers who went to eastern Canada in 2016 and western Canada in 2018. Verizon offered a $25 per month plan for talk and text only, or a $5 per day "travel pass" for talk, text and data. The $5 per day is charged for every day the phone is switched on in Canada. We put my flip phone on the monthly plan, and my wife's smart phone on the travel pass.

Interesting result: The monthly plan linked to Rogers Cellular in Canada, and the Travel Pass linked to Telus in Canada. Rogers Cellular had little coverage in out of the way places, while Telus had much better coverage. Thus my wife had reception in a number of places where I had no service. In the US, both phones had service in the same places.

By the way, we contacted Verizon tech support to try to get my phone working, or to at least get my calls forwarded to the working phone. They seemed unaware that there were different Canadian partners, and pretty much blamed the phone itself for the problem. Once we got to a large city reception returned.

vpnman

I highly recommend anyone trying to decide on carrier, plans and equipment to check out Chris and Cherie @ Mobile Internet Resource Center - https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/

You don't have to subscribe to see most of their content, but some of it is only for those that pay. They break down every major carrier and talk about coverage and plans.

Personally, I have a Verizon unlimited data plan from many years ago. It runs $40/month. My cell phone and iPad are on AT&T with unlimited talk/text/data for $140/month after taxes and discounts.

Between those two I have pretty solid connectivity wherever I go. I try to have some sort of carrier diversity when I travel, as I do work remotely, so staying connected is a must (most of the time).

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
Verizon has better coverage nation wide from our experience. At&t has a better unlimited plan in that we do not get throttled down on heavy usage months. We have both services for data and carry only Verizon for our phones. There have been places, like Las Vegas, where Verizon's signal was horrid and the At&t was fantastic where we were. That is why we have both because we cannot be without internet. Both are very easy to work with if you have a weak signal and need to change your data plan.

gslabbert5119

We have to work in our rv and require fulltime network.
We have 2 verizon mifis with 25gb each
2 phones at 22gb each
Total $203 per month
Then we have a dual sim phone with an Att and a tmobile sim in it, plus a weboost rv

So far we have managed fine and have yet to run out of data, but it has been close

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RickL

Just switched to Verizon’s Prepaid Unlimited plan 2 weeks ago. With auto bill feature it is $65.00 per month. There is NO data slow after X amount of GB used. Prior to switching I had a post paid plan of 40GB that I was paying $170 per month. Using our Verizon unlimited phones wouldn’t work worth a bean due to slow down after 15 GB per month. We full time and are data hogs. Typically burn 70-80 gigs per month. AND that’s controlling our usage.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Just switched to Verizon’s Prepaid Unlimited plan 2 weeks ago. With auto bill feature it is $65.00 per month. There is NO data slow after X amount of GB used. Prior to switching I had a post paid plan of 40GB that I was paying $170 per month. Using our Verizon unlimited phones wouldn’t work worth a bean due to slow down after 15 GB per month. We full time and are data hogs. Typically burn 70-80 gigs per month. AND that’s controlling our usage.

They say that you won't be slowed down...but it will happen.

chiefneon

They say that you won't be slowed down...but it will happen.

Howdy!

We had the FMCA Verizon unlimited plan which was worthless after 25gbs. We switched to the new Verizon prepaid unlimited plan. Had it for a few weeks we are well over 100gbs and still streaming. We use it day and night to stream DirecTV Now, Netflix, Amazon Prime etc... It’s one of the best true unlimited plans available now.

” Happy Trails “
Chiefneon