Fitting on Roof

BST

I recently bought a 2013 Cyclone 3010. There’s a fitting which I’m thinking is for the radio antenna. Can anyone confirm this or tell me what it is for. Thank you in advance for any helpful information!

Attachments

• 0E8C6BE7-F7D5-40B6-9E26-C901AFAD3CB5.jpg
    0E8C6BE7-F7D5-40B6-9E26-C901AFAD3CB5.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 126

RoadJunkie

That looks to me like a custom add-on by one of the previous owners. On earlier models Heartland put rubber-duckies radio antennas on the side of the unit and usually towards the rear.

Bogie

My first Sundance (2011) had a roof whip antenna. When it broke, I bought one of THESE and just used the top portion. Worked fine.

wdk450

I agree with the #2 post that it is an add on. This type of antenna usually works much better with a metal ground plane (like a mass of sheet metal - like a car body) under it. You may be able to simply screw a new whip mast into the base, but it adds to your height for clearance issues. Also, you need to establish at your radio equipment inside if the antenna wiring is connected.

BST

That looks to me like a custom add-on by one of the previous owners. On earlier models Heartland put rubber-duckies radio antennas on the side of the unit and usually towards the rear.

Thanks for the heads up!!

- - - Updated - - -

My first Sundance (2011) had a roof whip antenna. When it broke, I bought one of THESE and just used the top portion. Worked fine.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

btw, you have some good mods going on!

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with the #2 post that it is an add on. This type of antenna usually works much better with a metal ground plane (like a mass of sheet metal - like a car body) under it. You may be able to simply screw a new whip mast into the base, but it adds to your height for clearance issues. Also, you need to establish at your radio equipment inside if the antenna wiring is connected.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll check to see if the radio is connected to something. I read somewhere that the radio can be connected to the in-wire tv antenna cable via a splitter. Would you know if that works?

wdk450

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

btw, you have some good mods going on!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the heads up. I'll check to see if the radio is connected to something. I read somewhere that the radio can be connected to the in-wire tv antenna cable via a splitter. Would you know if that works?

I don't think that this will do much for AM radio signals, in fact, the antenna signal amplifier usually has a frequency response band that cuts out the frequencies below the lowest VHF band at about 50 Mhz. AM radio is 0.5 to 1.6 Mhz. FM radio (88-108 Mhz) is actually between VHF TV channels 5 and 6, so a TV antenna system SHOULD have the FM signals present (unless there is an FM band trap designed into the amplifier). With the FCC mandated move to Digital TV, the newest TV antenna systems emphasize the UHF (Channels 30 - 62) band signals since that is where Digital TV signals are mandated to be. VHF TV is being phased out to auction that highly coveted signal band to the cellphone industry.