Soft, Sticky, Gooey Roof

wdk450

I did some internet searching and came up with this thread on another RV forum about using a liquid rubber roof product for your decomposing rubber problem. https://www.rv.net/forum/Index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/25540424/print/true.cfm

I would do some internet searching on "RV Liquid Rubber roof".

I have been doing everything I can to reduce the summer heat problem, and found a guy who recoats RV roofs in my area on Craigs list. We have had some e-mail correspondence, and he mainly advertises the product he uses for sealing the roof against leaks, although he says it really reduces the summer heat inside, too. I think I will have it done in Feb or March, he wants right around $800. A totally new rubber roof can be $5000.

Good luck!!!

sgtbigb

Same problem, roof was so sticky my shoes got stuck. Call heartland would referred me to Dicor. Talk to Don Metzger customer service for dicor. He ask for photos which l sent. He stated there was a bad batch of roofing material. He offered two options. $1000.00 because he stated it was cosmetic problem or to provide replacement and pay $2750 labor cost. I chose replacement. I also found a place who was very familiar with problem.

travlingman

Same problem, roof was so sticky my shoes got stuck. Call heartland would referred me to Dicor. Talk to Don Metzger customer service for dicor. He ask for photos which l sent. He stated there was a bad batch of roofing material. He offered two options. $1000.00 because he stated it was cosmetic problem or to provide replacement and pay $2750 labor cost. I chose replacement. I also found a place who was very familiar with problem.

I was lucky. They did a replacement and paid everything, no labor cost limit. I know it did change to the $2750 a few months after I had mine done.

Gunner

I was lucky. They did a replacement and paid everything, no labor cost limit. I know it did change to the $2750 a few months after I had mine done.

Hi travelingman, how long ago did you have this done? I have the same issue. Did it take long to resolve the issue with Dicor?

travlingman

Hi travelingman, how long ago did you have this done? I have the same issue. Did it take long to resolve the issue with Dicor?

Did mine 2 years ago. I sent the pictures into Dicor about 11 AM an had an answer by 1 PM. The gentleman I dealt with was Don Metzger, nice guy.

Gunner

Did mine 2 years ago. I sent the pictures into Dicor about 11 AM an had an answer by 1 PM. The gentleman I dealt with was Don Metzger, nice guy.

I called him yesterday and got voicemail. Left message. No answer. I called again today. This time I had him paged after a few minutes it went to voicemail. Left another message. So far no answer.

I am having the same problem on the 2016 Bighorn 3010RE. Do you happen to have the customer service number for Dicor? Also, who did the repair for you?
Thanks!!

sjandbj

I had the same problem on our big country. I chose to take the 2750.00 dollars and never had them send the new roofing material to replace the old roof. I have replaced a rubber roof on an older rig I once owned myself. It is a lot of work and you need several people to do it right. I am not a fan of rubber roofs so I took the money and put it towards a new roof that has a lifetime warranty. The rubber roofs are good but require way too much attention. I don't like climbing up to check on it and replacing the caulk every year. I went with the RV Flex Armour roof this time. It was no more expensive to do this than to have the roof replaced. All the dealers out in FL want at least $10,000.00 to replace the rubber roof. there is no way the $2750.00 will cover the labor to remove and replace the old sticky mess, it just helps take the sting away a little. My new roof is stronger, quieter, and will not rip so I felt it was a better option since I do not plan on replacing the rig anytime soon.

I had the same problem identified earlier this year on a 2016 Bighorn built in July 2015. Dicor offered me $1000 or replacement material and install kit since coach was more than 5 years old. If coach is less than 5 years old additional compensation is offered. Additional compensation is really out of the question now since all material with defective adhesive between top color coat and actual EPDM rubber material. Talked Dicor representative who recommended replacement due to impact on future resale value of coach even though there was really no impact on ability of roof to provide normal function. I now have 12 year expected life on roof if my repair facility did a good job. Quality of job by repair facility was really my only concern with pursuing a replacement.

Just to add to the knowledge base here... I discovered this issue on my 2018 Heartland Big Country 3850MB. We purchased it new in February 2019. It had a build date of 6/2018. Dicor couldn't have been better. Dicor says that this is entirely cosmetic but since it will affect resale they are covering it with two options. Option #1 $1000 and we all call it good and I continue to have my existing warranty. Option #2 a complete new roof and roof installation kit as well as $2750 towards the installation cost of the new roof. We obviously took option #2. I dealt with Dicor exclusively by email and was shocked and amazed at how good they were to deal with on this.

Piperflyer

My Bighorn is a 2016 model and is past warranty. Will Dicor honor pasrt warranty work on the same problem with my roof?

Yes they will do something for you. My understanding is that they have two programs. One for roofs 1-5 years old and one for 5+ years old. You'd definitely qualify for the second program. I'm not sure what they offer but a little cash might be nice.

Piperflyer

Yes they will do something for you. My understanding is that they have two programs. One for roofs 1-5 years old and one for 5+ years old. You'd definitely qualify for the second program. I'm not sure what they offer but a little cash might be nice.
Can anyone supply me with the contact information to go about seeing what Dicor can do for me? Thank You

oldelmer1

I had the same issue, Dicor gave the the 2 options also, took the $2750 and had Flex armor sprayed on.