Model 1210 nocold

carl.swoyer

Anybody out there know what temperature the fans come on at ?
The two fans on the back of the cooling unit

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

carl.swoyer

I'm going to add extra fans anyway
78f5cb500487eb4b1d1b13e7e2b83e2f.jpg
8c8634059bd9ec80db75c5d9d3afd39e.jpg
a28bd391e821297877120bbabcbbc00a.jpg

danemayer

Here's something
Thermostatic switch

The thermostatic switch...turns the fans on and off. The fans come on when first condenser fin temperature is approximately 130 degrees Fahrenheit...and turn off at approximately 115 degrees Fahrenheit...

carl.swoyer

Update!
I removed the old sheet metal bafel at the top of the fridge vent.
My thermostat switch was bad so I replaced it. I removed the old fans and bench tested they worked. So then I reinstalled them and added two more fan blowing out ( baffel is no longer installed). Around 3 pm yesterday I fired up the Nocold setting on 9. This morning the interior of the fridge was 31° !
Success! So far.
I have two smaller fans that I'll install inside the fridge. Huge difference in cooling. Hopefully it's a permanent fix.
I opted for the four fans to cycle on at the same time.

Gary521

The purpose of the baffle was to direct air coming up the back across the upper fins before exiting the top vent. It ain't the best design. Heck, if it works fine, all the better.

carl.swoyer

The two extra fans are directly in front of the fins. My thought was to pull the hot air off the fins and move more air. I'm closely monitoring the performance.

Gary521

I added a third fan at the bottom vent blowing in and up. So far, everything is working OK on mine. What I was trying to say earlier is that if you removed the baffle and it all works for you - great. Getting that hot air out of the top is critical.

carl.swoyer

I added a third fan at the bottom vent blowing in and up. So far, everything is working OK on mine. What I was trying to say earlier is that if you removed the baffle and it all works for you - great. Getting that hot air out of the top is critical.
Gary ,I'm considering a small fan at the bottom as well and another one in the fridge. I have been using the d cell RV frig fan but never really saw a significant amount of benefit.

mlpeloquin

I finally added two fans at the top vent. It pull the air from the top and draws it down pushing the hot air out. Across the country dry and humid air I only had to use the setting of 3 and once 4. Fridge was between 31F and 38F and freezers from 8F to 12F. Finally got this thing working well. Been a frustrating five years!

carl.swoyer

Frustrating to say the least. Rolol
This is my second nocold. For as much as these units cost you expect more.
I finally added two fans at the top vent. It pull the air from the top and draws it down pushing the hot air out. Across the country dry and humid air I only had to use the setting of 3 and once 4. Fridge was between 31F and 38F and freezers from 8F to 12F. Finally got this thing working well. Been a frustrating five years!

carl.swoyer

Mlpeloquin,
Since adding the two fans and removing the sheet metal bafel
It appears to be a lot better.
Setting 3 provides 36/37°
Hopefully this will be the cure for the hot hot season.

Update!
I removed the old sheet metal bafel at the top of the fridge vent.
My thermostat switch was bad so I replaced it. I removed the old fans and bench tested they worked. So then I reinstalled them and added two more fan blowing out ( baffel is no longer installed). Around 3 pm yesterday I fired up the Nocold setting on 9. This morning the interior of the fridge was 31° !
Success! So far.
I have two smaller fans that I'll install inside the fridge. Huge difference in cooling. Hopefully it's a permanent fix.
I opted for the four fans to cycle on at the same time.

Was the baffle a piece of galvanized sheet metal that mount across the upper door opening that blocked off about 2/3s of the opening?

carl.swoyer

Was the baffle a piece of galvanized sheet metal that mount across the upper door opening that blocked off about 2/3s of the opening?
Yes , it's screwed in from the inside. Two screw that I cut with a hacksaw blade.

carl.swoyer

Thanks for the reply Carl.

Has that modification worked out well and solved your Frig problems?
Yes, it appears to be significant improvement. On setting's 3&4 and outside temp around 75/85°
I'm seeing 36 to 38° interior frig temp and -01° in the freezer.
That's without any fan installed in the interior of the fridge.
I have two smaller fans I plan to install inside the fridge ( if needed).

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
IMO the additional fans are doing more to cool the fridge than the removal of the sheet metal.
When our thermostat failed and I placed a small fan in the lower opening over the weekend until the mobile tech arrived I turned our fridge into a freezer during 90* beach weather

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, it appears to be significant improvement. On setting's 3&4 and outside temp around 75/85°
I'm seeing 36 to 38° interior frig temp and -01° in the freezer.
That's without any fan installed in the interior of the fridge.
I have two smaller fans I plan to install inside the fridge ( if needed).

Carl,

You said the baffle was just screwed in place. Were you able to access the screws through the hatch over the top of the sheet metal baffle, or was it just easier to cut through them

carl.swoyer

Carl,

You said the baffle was just screwed in place. Were you able to access the screws through the hatch over the top of the sheet metal baffle, or was it just easier to cut through them
Blazerjohn,
I used a hacksaw blade and cut them off from the outside.