Heartland factory PDI'S

carl.swoyer

Anybody else hear that Heartland is now doing 100% PDI's on all rigs before they leave the factory.
If that's true! Think of the change to the buyer experience! Not only that but warranty payments, should save a ton of money.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

sengli

I heard they opened a new facility for such a thing, but 100% coverage?

Last edited:

dave10a

Wellp time will tell how good Heartland PDI's are. However, other mfg's like Grand Design do 100% PDI inspection and still have too many warrenty issues and customer dissatisfaction complaints. I agree that better inspection should cut warranty costs, but the RV industry seems a little behind-- maybe refusal to perform ISO 9000 audits have something to do with it.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I have heard that, too.

I'm hoping that this is the beginning of a big change in the RV industry.

RickL

Wellp time will tell how good Heartland PDI's are. However, other mfg's like Grand Design do 100% PDI inspection and still have too many warrenty issues and customer dissatisfaction complaints. I agree that better inspection should cut warranty costs, but the RV industry seems a little behind-- maybe refusal to perform ISO 9000 audits have something to do with it.

I agree that they need to implement ISO audits. While it’s not an end all, it’s leap years from every manufacturers current situation. I get we live in a rolling earthquake but doing the root cause analysis may just lead the manufacturers to rethink their build techniques or the materials/products installed in these rigs.

dave10a

I agree that they need to implement ISO audits. While it’s not an end all, it’s leap years from every manufacturers current situation. I get we live in a rolling earthquake but doing the root cause analysis may just lead the manufacturers to rethink their build techniques or the materials/products installed in these rigs.

The interesting part is China is the world leader for companies that are ISO approved, while many of their products are doing quite well in world market place in terms of reliability.

'Lil Guy'

To follow ISO 9000 policy would be cost prohibited and the paper trail would be colossal on an RV. You would need certifications on everything. The PDI isn't going to catch the brads some kid shot in the wall only to miss a solid piece to hold the panel, shelf, etc in place, then to be discovered later when the shelf falls off he wall during travel. I still think the solution is to have meetings with shop personnel and go over complaints, problems, etc and discuss solutions as to taking a little more pride in your work. Maybe have them sign off on operations of assembly so as to know who the culprit is on any issue with the individual units.
I'm sure HL stresses hurry up and get it done rather than quality. It's up to HL management to stress quality first and build that mindset into the workforce with short regular meetings and incentives. I'm willing to bet that any meeting held pertains to getting them done faster.
Looking at the newer units and listening to some of the brand managers, seems the engineering is focusing on faster and cheaper ways to manufacture rather than building quality. Changes are being made to cut manufacturing costs. One example is the BH now comes with a 60A converter instead of an 80 used in the older ones. Don't know if it needs the 80A but more is better as far as I'm concerned.
I'm currently looking at the newer BH's but starting to think I need to keep my 2016.
The 1st manufacturer that really gets into quality will get my future business, even if it costs more.

That said, this isn't about HL but about the industry as a whole. I've seen some new rigs that don't have the everyday problems like a fixable leak or loose wire which is so annoying on a new rig, but have issues like everything falling apart in the woodwork, from doors, shelves, bookcases, paneling, tv mounts, etc. Absolutely no reason for this to be happening. I guess we'll see what the future holds.

Gary521

This is NOT a worker issue with lack of wanting to do quality work or lack of pride of workmanship. This is a management issue. It is management who decides the level of quality or lack of it. No amount of inspection will put quality into a product that was not manufactured in. Even if every unit was 100% inspected, there is a potential for 20% of defects being missed. This goes for suppliers too.

donr827

The factory has no sensible way of doing a PDI like we should do when purchasing a RV. The time needed would be incredible.
Don

dave10a

"The ISO 9000 family addresses various aspects of quality management and contains some of ISO’s best known standards. The standards provide guidance and tools for companies and organizations who want to ensure that their products and services consistently meet customer’s requirements, and that quality is consistently improved."

NYSUPstater

FWIW, my travels take me from Syracuse NY to Albany NY every night and I've seen an awful lot of new RV's heading east. Don't know the brands, but still a lot for this time of year IMO.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
FWIW, my travels take me from Syracuse NY to Albany NY every night and I've seen an awful lot of new RV's heading east. Don't know the brands, but still a lot for this time of year IMO.

Lots of people are escaping the nice warm southwest desert winter temps for some odd reason... :rolleyes:

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
IMO a facility checking the end result is a waste. Letting the workers slow down and then do inspections throughout the build is the only effective way to make an attempt at quality control.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I'm told as this new presses goes on and as the inspections find the same problems over and over that will intern go back to the factory that is building it and make them change their ways, "so to say". If this works we should start seeing a difference in the quality of the RV's at delivery. TIME WILL TELL.
Hope it works.

carl.swoyer

IMO a facility checking the end result is a waste. Letting the workers slow down and then do inspections throughout the build is the only effective way to make an attempt at quality control.
They have had years to do it.
I'm hopeful that Jim Fenner and his new facility will be the first steps in the process of changing the buyer experience. Not only that but become the industry leader of positive change.
Focused on quality.

travlingman

We looked at some new Landmarks recently, and evidently they hadn't went through the new factory PDI. I was amazed that one of them was shipped the way we saw it. As we are thinking about a new rig, it gave us concerns of getting another Landmark.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
They have had years to do it.
I'm hopeful that Jim Fenner and his new facility will be the first steps in the process of changing the buyer experience. Not only that but become the industry leader of positive change.
Focused on quality.

Not sure they can lead anything with Thor at the reins. They will steer toward higher profits over quality.

The industry seems to have reached a peak, sales of units are down the last 2-3 months over last year... not sure what that will bring, but increasing expenditures is not likely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk