Opinions on heating when off grid.

campfire7

I am looking for opinions on what is the best way to heat the RV (T/T) when we are camping off grid. How long will the battery and a 30 lbs. LP tank last when using the on board Furness ? We haven't camped off grid in the winter before so I am trying to get prepared. Any opinions would greatly be appreciated.

danemayer

To a great extent, the answer depends on how cold it gets, your thermostat setting, type of RV, and how often you open the door. Two 30# propane tanks might last up to a week, maybe more, maybe less, depending on how the prior questions are answered.

But the #1 limiting factor will be battery power because the furnace blower uses quite a bit of battery power. So if you're planning on being off grid for more than a day or two, you'll need either a generator or solar panels to keep the battery charged.

There are alternative fuel heaters that don't require use of the furnace. But if camping in temps below freezing, if the furnace isn't running, you may not have running water for very long.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
You don’t give many details but if you’ve only one battery and it’s cold enough for the furnace to run regularly, even just once an hour, along with the other 12v appliances my experience says you’ll be lucky to make it through the night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lynn1130

You won't make it through the night with a 12 volt battery and temps that cause the furnace to come on several times an hour. You need more batteries either 6 volt or 12 and if the temps get into the teens you will be out of battery in three/four days max without a way to charge batteries. You need a generator to keep the battery up. Solar panels are iffy. If the sun does not come out your cold toast.

You can either use or add as supplemental a Big Buddy heater. This will help keep the use of your on-board propane down, which by the way, will last 3-5 days in temps running to the teens at night. If it does not get warmer during the day you will be out of propane sooner. You will need to have the furnace running and inside temps set to 55 or above to keep the water lines in the underbelly from freezing.

I think there is an information page on camping in cold weather on the site and Dan can probably direct you but by searching that topic you will bring up many threads that will give you pointers on how to keep from freezing up. I hunt in the winter and spring and staying warm in an RV is a science. Even when I think I have it all covered something freezes up.

This is all assuming that you have a heated underbelly with your TT. If not at 25 degrees you will be froze up solid.

campfire7

We are going to visit Yellowstone in April, so I really don't know how cold it will get, We are hoping to have full hook-up for most of the time, but iam sure that there will be a night or two where we will be off grid. I do have 2, 2000 watts generators that can be run in tandem , but won't be able to run them all night, so charging wont be a problem. Portable fuel heaters was mentioned, But that seems to be dangerous with the carbon monoxide.

Lynn1130

I hunt in April at 7000 ft or more. In high country or northern states it can get way below freezing for long periods. Fill you water tanks and shut the camp water off to the trailer and drain the hoses. That will keep you in water in the low temps. The generators will help bring the batteries back up after use during the night but one 12 volt battery will not make it through the night on a cold night. 2- 6 volt golf cart batteries minimum. I have three 12 volt AGMs.

Big Buddy and those similar are not CO2 producers and I use one in the garage where the two bunks are and the rest of the crew sleeps. My son-in-law says it will drive him out of the top bunk if it is set higher than low. Keep a window slightly open for venting and to reduce condensation.

olcoon

We volunteered for the Forest Service in Wyoming a few years ago. Towards the end of August we were getting frost at night, & stayed until mid September. Had to run the furnace at night and one battery lasted all night. Don't remember how cold it got at night, or what we had the thermostat set at, but we had it set so we'd be comfortable, I'm guessing around 70. Also, we only had electricity for 4 hours at night, & 4 hours in the morning, from their big generator. Didn't have any problems with the battery going dead. Don't know how much propane we used, as we were hooked up to their propane tank.

This last fall we were in North Dakota for the sugar beet harvest. We arrived on Sept. 21 & left on Oct. 24. While we were up there we had a bunch of sub freezing temps, mainly in Oct. & mainly ran the furnace to keep water lines from freezing. We used about 1 ½ 30 tanks of propane.

eddylives

Using calculations based on a 40 000 btu furnace you will get around 30 hours run time from two 30 lb tanks of propane.
How fast you use the 30 hrs available will vary on all the external factors such as wind,ambient temperature,heat loss due to insulation levels in your unit etc.
As for battery life you are on your own lol
I run a 2000 honda invertor generator on econo mode for 3 1/2-4 days continuous 24/7 on 25 liters of fuel (extended run kit) so battery life is a non issue.

campfire7

I hunt in April at 7000 ft or more. In high country or northern states it can get way below freezing for long periods. Fill you water tanks and shut the camp water off to the trailer and drain the hoses. That will keep you in water in the low temps. The generators will help bring the batteries back up after use during the night but one 12 volt battery will not make it through the night on a cold night. 2- 6 volt golf cart batteries minimum. I have three 12 volt AGMs.

Big Buddy and those similar are not CO2 producers and I use one in the garage where the two bunks are and the rest of the crew sleeps. My son-in-law says it will drive him out of the top bunk if it is set higher than low. Keep a window slightly open for venting and to reduce condensation.

After you mintioned the Big Buddy heater I looked on line at them and I definitely see one in my future, In fact , this may be just whan I am looking for.

david-steph2018

Thinking on getting one of the Big Buddy for the garage in the Road Warrior, but do you smell the propane or how do you keep the fumes from gathering if there are any fumes?

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Thinking on getting one of the Big Buddy for the garage in the Road Warrior, but do you smell the propane or how do you keep the fumes from gathering if there are any fumes?

I have a Little Buddy heater I’ve taken car/tent camping. Also use it to heat an unheated portion of our basement while crafting.
Practically odorless, the concern. When tent camping I leave a flap corner unzipped for fresh air. I imagine the same can be done in the RW by cracking a window.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I have a Little Buddy heater I’ve taken car/tent camping. Also use it to heat an unheated portion of our basement while crafting.
Practically odorless, the concern. When tent camping I leave a flap corner unzipped for fresh air. I imagine the same can be done in the RW by cracking a window.

You definitely need a fresh air source when operating one of them in an enclosed space. I tried using one to heat my garage while woodworking but it was ineffective. A 20lb propane cylinder lasted about 12 hours. Gave it to my nephew for his hunting blind.

Lynn1130

A 20lb propane cylinder lasted about 12 hours.

Depends upon how long you run it and on what setting. Using it on low during the sleeping hours I get 3-4 days out of a 20# bottle.

dbbls59

I have used a buddy heater for years. Never cracked a window. There is enough air leakage in these rv's you won't need to. Generally run it on low because high made it too warn.

MTPockets

The following is printed on the Big Buddy box:

Directly from the side of the Big Buddy heater box;
**DO NOT SLEEP WHILE HEATER IS RUNNING
**PROVIDE PROPER VENTILATION WHEN OPERATING HEATER.
I’d advise to take heed to these warnings. I love the heaters and run them in our portables, but wouldn’d personally roll the dice with my life.
wave.gif
Carbon Monoxide kills Ice anglers every year it seems.

MTPockets

Interesting. I do not see anything like that in the manual, and I would have to look at my box but it is miles away in the trailer in storage. There is nothing like that in the manual, in-fact it says it is safe for use indoors. Sounds like a lawyer designed the box but forgot the manual.

https://www.mrheater.com/downloads/dl/file/id/1090/big_buddy_heater_manual_usa_2017.pdf

I bought a torque wrench at Home Depot because the package said “lifetime warranty”... my wrench broke and I kept the manual, but not the box.. nothing stated in the manual about warranty. Home Depot still had the same wrench, and It was only after showing the clerk the package did they replace the wrench.

danemayer

Clicked through your link to the manual, Lynn. Numerous mentions of the need for adequate ventilation and carbon monoxide danger.

This is an unvented gas-fired portable heater. It uses air (oxygen) from the area in which it is used. Adequate combustion and ventilation air must be provided. Refer to page 3.

WARNING:If the recreational or commercial enclosure does not
have a window or roof vent, DO NOT USE THIS HEATER
INSIDE.
This heater requires a vent area of 18 square inches(example 4 1/4” x 4 1/4” opening) minimum for adequate
ventilation during operation. Do not use other fuel
burning appliances inside.
When used without adequate combustion andventilation air, this heater may give off excessive
CARBON MONOXIDE, an odorless, poisonous gas.

This heater is safe for indoor use in small recreationalenclosures, having means for providing combustion air
and ventilation, such as enclosed porches, cabins, fishing
huts, trailers, tent trailers, tents, truck caps and vans.
It may be used for emergency indoor heating when
connected to a disposable 1 lb. propane cylinder and
for indoor use in commercial enclosures, having means
for providing combustion air and ventilation, such as
construction trailers or temporary work enclosures.

Lynn1130

I did not say there is not a CO2 danger. I said there is no mention in the manual about sleeping with it on. All heaters have a CO2 danger.

I bought a torque wrench at Home Depot because the package said “lifetime warranty”... my wrench broke and I kept the manual, but not the box.. nothing stated in the manual about warranty. Home Depot still had the same wrench, and It was only after showing the clerk the package did they replace the wrench.

I'm not sure what that has to do with the heater? I'm sure the box would be brought into court if there was a suit but the manual is missing the same wording. That was my only point for the comment.