Removing Dicor around Vent

RoadJunkie

Boy, this Dicor stuff really sticks to a rubber roof...which is a good thing...but, I'm replacing the vent/fan in my bathroom with a Fantastic Vent and can't get the roof as clear of the sticky stuff as I would like. Anybody have any experience with safely using something like mineral spirits, lacquer thinner, etc? Goo Gone says don't use on rubber.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Len, I've done exactly what you are doing. And yes that stuff really sticks.
I cleaned it up the best that I could using no solvent, laid a strip of butyl caulk where the housing will be, put the fan on, screwed it down then a good bead of self leveling caulk around on top of the screws and edge of the housing.
No leaks.

Peace
Dave

RoadJunkie

Dave, that’s about where I’m headed; I can’t imagine what it would take to get down to the roof under the Dicor. I’ll try to smooth it out, apply some roof cleaner to the are and finally finish cleaning with some alcohol. Thanks for letting me know you had no leaks using this method.

LBR

Dave, that’s about where I’m headed; I can’t imagine what it would take to get down to the roof under the Dicor. I’ll try to smooth it out, apply some roof cleaner to the are and finally finish cleaning with some alcohol. Thanks for letting me know you had no leaks using this method.
Just finished removing the loft vent, then moving the galley vent to loft, then placed a Fantastic unit on the galley. There was no way it would all come clean, so I used a long blade knife and trimmed off as much as I could, cleaned with alcohol, and replaced the 2 units with new putty tape, screwed down, cleaned excess putty off, and applied self-leveling Dicor. Should be fine, IMO.

RoadJunkie

In my dreams last night, I thought of using a thin wire to try to remove a bit more of the sticky stuff. Clearly I’m over thinking this little project. Thanks for sharing your experience on this.

travis_g

I just did this on my RW. I removed the garage vent and installed an AC unit. Do yourself a great favor and get an oscillating tool with a smooth blade. It makes short work of it. Be careful and use the metal edge of the vent as a guide to keep it from gouging the rubber roof though.

This is similar to the one I used.

RoadJunkie

Thanks to for all for the benefit of your experience. This little project is now in the record books and I am now ready to enjoy a bathroom vent that actually moves some air.

NYSUPstater

Thanks to for all for the benefit of your experience. This little project is now in the record books and I am now ready to enjoy a bathroom vent that actually moves some air.

You know what's surprising is that when we bought our '06 Cedar Creek Silverback, it had a large fan in bathroom (not a Fantastic Fan, but a large one). I never measured the diameter of it, but was very happy with it as to how much air it would "suck" out. When we purchased our BC, it came with a little dinky, doinky fan that would be of better use in the fridge area than in a bathroom. Asked if a FF could be installed at time of manufacture as a upgrade and told we could. So we added it. Thing works great except the darn cover keeps closing when it rains despite a Maxx Air cover over it. Same with the FF in kitchen area. All in all, only way to go IMO.

sengli

I am going to have to be doing this exact project next summer. When the goo on the roof will be flexible. The worthless little OEM fan, in the bathroom area, what a joke. The the newer style roof vent housing, wont allow you to simply install a vortex aftermarket fan from the inside.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I've got a Fantastic Fan to install, too!

Since camping season is just getting ready to start down here, this will be a project soon!

Anyone got photos of your installs?

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Boy, this Dicor stuff really sticks to a rubber roof...which is a good thing...but, I'm replacing the vent/fan in my bathroom with a Fantastic Vent and can't get the roof as clear of the sticky stuff as I would like. Anybody have any experience with safely using something like mineral spirits, lacquer thinner, etc? Goo Gone says don't use on rubber.

Mineral spirits is recommended for use by Dicor Corp. Just don't flood the roof or leave it on for long periods of time.
I don't know why people keep using alcohol when Mineral spirits is recommended.

From Dicor EPDM rubber roof installation cleaning instructions: https://dicorproducts.com/product/dicor-epdm-rubber-roofing-3/

"Dicor EPDM roofing can be cleaned with Dicor Rubber Roof Cleaner. For stubborn stains, products containing mineral spirits are recommended. Do not use Acetone or Citrus Cleaners. Do not let any cleaning solvent come in contact with the membrane for extended periods of time. Because dust and dirt may collect on the roof, regular cleaning with Dicor’s RP-RC160C or RP-RC320S Rubber Roof Cleaner is recommended. Do not park vehicle for extended periods where roof will be exposed to tree sap or fruit as staining may result. A soft bristle brush may be used during cleaning.Preparation"

The lap sealant contains petroleum distillates and are safe to use: From Dicor FAQ: https://dicorproducts.com/faq/

Why does your Lap Sealant contain petroleum distillates, yet you tell people not to use products containing petroleum distillates?
The petroleum distillate used in our lap Sealant is used strictly in the curing process. As the material cures, the petroleum distillate evaporates. When we say not to use petroleum distillates on the roof we mean products that sit on the roof (cleaners, conditioners, UV resistors, etc).

RoadJunkie

Good to know, great research. As a side note, it was necessary to buy an additional Dometic 6" "garnish" piece to finish the inside opening that leads to the fan. The supplied piece was only 4" or 4 1/2" deep and too short to meet up with the slots in the fan. Maybe Dometic sells a Fantastic Vent that includes the 6" garnish, but mine came with the shorter piece. I found one at RVUPGRADES.com for about $10, but had to pay for shipping for orders under $99 (why don't they just say $100?).

NYSUPstater

Good to know, great research. As a side note, it was necessary to buy an additional Dometic 6" "garnish" piece to finish the inside opening that leads to the fan. The supplied piece was only 4" or 4 1/2" deep and too short to meet up with the slots in the fan. Maybe Dometic sells a Fantastic Vent that includes the 6" garnish, but mine came with the shorter piece. I found one at RVUPGRADES.com for about $10, but had to pay for shipping for orders under $99 (why don't they just say $100?).

It's psychological. We humans think we are getting a deal if it's under "X". Like $59.95 is better than saying 60 bucks or whatever the amount happens to be. personally, I always round up or down to nearest dollar. In case of buying, I round up. In bank account, round down. Last one may sound funny, but better to be safe than sorry.

Dumboldles

This info is probably late but may help the next person that tackles this type of job; my garnish also was not deep enough. I called Dometic (Fantastic-Vent) and they sent me out out a garnish at their cost, that was 6 inches deep...I had to take an inch off to make it work, but the fan is up there purring away.

Dumboldles