Electrical help needed

AnthonyA

Hello all,

I have recently discovered that my power reel has been causing the breaker to trip at the power ped. It was previously causing me to have low voltage on L2 which was causing outlets and AC's not to work.
I decided to unwind the reel and check for lose connections and discovered that there is something inside that is arcing.
Moving the reel in any direction will either cause the breaker to trip or the issue will disappear. Any ideas on what this could be..?
It's a 2018 Phoenix.
04b3bda2a7ede0cc5a8385eb4486e6e1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

danemayer

The wires that go to the circuit breaker panel connect to a similar terminal on the end of the spool. That would be the next place to check.

mlpeloquin

Hello all,

I have recently discovered that my power reel has been causing the breaker to trip at the power ped. It was previously causing me to have low voltage on L2 which was causing outlets and AC's not to work.
I decided to unwind the reel and check for lose connections and discovered that there is something inside that is arcing.
Moving the reel in any direction will either cause the breaker to trip or the issue will disappear. Any ideas on what this could be..?
It's a 2018 Phoenix.
04b3bda2a7ede0cc5a8385eb4486e6e1.jpg

I am going to assume that you made sure that the nuts were tight and you are unplugged from power. When I had the problem it was loose nuts holding L2 and the neutral. I added loctite to the top of the threads only after making sure that they were tight. You don't want loctite between the lug and the bottom for the electrical connection. Then I added clear electrical RTV to stake the nuts and lugs together. https://www.amazon.com/Clear-Electronic-Grade-Silicone-Squeeze/dp/B0063U2RT8 I check once a year.

You may want to take off each lug, one at a time and inspect under the lug and the wire insulation as well. Next you may need to inspect what is behind the studs. It has been a while since I have had mine open, so I don't know if a mirror will let you see behind or more disassembly is required. It is not clear from the picture where the arc is occurring.

AnthonyA

I am going to assume that you made sure that the nuts were tight and you are unplugged from power. When I had the problem it was loose nuts holding L2 and the neutral. I added loctite to the top of the threads only after making sure that they were tight. You don't want loctite between the lug and the bottom for the electrical connection. Then I added clear electrical RTV to stake the nuts and lugs together. https://www.amazon.com/Clear-Electronic-Grade-Silicone-Squeeze/dp/B0063U2RT8 I check once a year.

You may want to take off each lug, one at a time and inspect under the lug and the wire insulation as well. Next you may need to inspect what is behind the studs. It has been a while since I have had mine open, so I don't know if a mirror will let you see behind or more disassembly is required. It is not clear from the picture where the arc is occurring.
Thank you for the response. Yes, shut the power down. I actually removed the reel and inspected everything and snugged it all up.
The arcing sound is not coming from anything visible, it literally sounds like it is inside, behind the red termination panel where the power chord connects to the spool.

CDN

B and B
Hello, It is quite possible the slip rings are bad. Is there any movement of the spool by wiggling? I have tried to find a manual but the website is un responsive at the manufacturer. Being a 2018 I would hope you still are under warranty.

AnthonyA

Hello, It is quite possible the slip rings are bad. Is there any movement of the spool by wiggling? I have tried to find a manual but the website is un responsive at the manufacturer. Being a 2018 I would hope you still are under warranty.
I was thinking something similar as well. Yes it is still under warranty but I currently have over 20 other items that have been pending repair for almost a year (11 months).

wdk450

I was thinking something similar as well. Yes it is still under warranty but I currently have over 20 other items that have been pending repair for almost a year (11 months).

I am pretty sure from your described symptoms that your reel has a combination of intermittent shorts and open circuits, probably from the brushes/slip rings assemblies.

Call Heartland Service with your VIN number to register the failure of the reel device. Have the Service department look up your rig and tell you the make and model of the reel from the build sheet. Use the internet to find the reel manufacturer contact info. Call the reel manufacturer and check on their warranty coverage ( I saw some on the internet with limited lifetime warranty). If the reel manufacturer will ship you a new reel, contact a local independent RV servicer (no sales) to take care of this item (with Heartland Service prior approval).

If this is going to take a while to get fixed, you may want to consider getting some 50 amp RV connectors and using your cord to get a non-reel temporary solution going.

AnthonyA

I am pretty sure from your described symptoms that your reel has a combination of intermittent shorts and open circuits, probably from the brushes/slip rings assemblies.

Call Heartland Service with your VIN number to register the failure of the reel device. Have the Service department look up your rig and tell you the make and model of the reel from the build sheet. Use the internet to find the reel manufacturer contact info. Call the reel manufacturer and check on their warranty coverage ( I saw some on the internet with limited lifetime warranty). If the reel manufacturer will ship you a new reel, contact a local independent RV servicer (no sales) to take care of this item (with Heartland Service prior approval).

If this is going to take a while to get fixed, you may want to consider getting some 50 amp RV connectors and using your cord to get a non-reel temporary solution going.
That's what I suspected. I already have the s/n and the phone number. I will more than likely install it my self. The place I live in has a shortage of independent mobile repair people "willing" to do anything.
I am a Engineer by trade, any chance I could bill for my time? Just curious.

danemayer

That's what I suspected. I already have the s/n and the phone number. I will more than likely install it my self. The place I live in has a shortage of independent mobile repair people "willing" to do anything.
I am a Engineer by trade, any chance I could bill for my time? Just curious.

Heartland might warrant the reel and might be more likely to send it to you for self install than the supplier would be. I'd suggest calling them first. Call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready.

Never heard of anyone getting paid to do their own warranty work. Most RV companies won't even send you parts for self install, or reimburse cost of parts if you buy them yourself. Heartland is more flexible than most - but there's always a limit to flexibility.

gasman

Camp Socializer
And while you have Heartland Customer Service on the line, ask them to check the status of your other warranty issues. You may find that your dealer is misleading you a bit!!

carl.swoyer

And while you have Heartland Customer Service on the line, ask them to check the status of your other warranty issues. You may find that your dealer is misleading you a bit!!
I agree. Heartland was always quick to approve but my dealership was always saying " waiting for approval".

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

mlpeloquin

I agree. Heartland was always quick to approve but my dealership was always saying " waiting for approval".

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Find and go to an independent repair facility and ask if they will work with Heartland for your warranty work. The dealer does not want your repair business by what they say and will then tell you your warranty has expired. Independent repair facilities don't want your fifth wheel sitting around and get the work done. They rely on having a good reputation to stay in business. If you insist on using you dealership, call Heartland to see if they can get the dealer to move on your warranty work done. I bet they have not even contacted Heartland about getting the parts yet. Heartland can tell you. Have your vin number when calling Heartland.

wdk450

Find and go to an independent repair facility and ask if they will work with Heartland for your warranty work. The dealer does not want your repair business by what they say and will then tell you your warranty has expired. Independent repair facilities don't want your fifth wheel sitting around and get the work done. They rely on having a good reputation to stay in business. If you insist on using you dealership, call Heartland to see if they can get the dealer to move on your warranty work done. I bet they have not even contacted Heartland about getting the parts yet. Heartland can tell you. Have your vin number when calling Heartland.

Check RVServiceReviews.com to find RV repairers in your area that people have had good experiences with.

AnthonyA

Hey all,

I spoke with Heartland and they agreed to send me a replacement. I am very thankful for that.

I live in a town where the local talent is not very motivated. That being said, I have found it a bit challenging to enlist help.
The nearest RV dealer was no better. I left it with them for a decent amount of time and they actually caused more damage to my rig and fixed 1 of my 20 something items.
Being a full-timer with a family, my options are limited to primarily mobile techs.
Anyway, enough complaining from me. Some progress is better than none!

mlpeloquin

If you need parts and are willing to do the work yourself, Heartland will send you the parts as they did the reel. They did for me on a couple of items while I was still under warranty.

AnthonyA

If you need parts and are willing to do the work yourself, Heartland will send you the parts as they did the reel. They did for me on a couple of items while I was still under warranty.
I may end up doing that vs relying on the locals.