Installed a K&N Cold Air Intake today

Cancey

I installed a K&N Performance high flow intake kit https://mechanicfaq.com/cold-air-intakes-for-dodge-ram-1500-5-7-hemi/. The install took about 2 hours (taking my time). The fitment was good, and everything bolted up as it should.

There clearly is a noticeable power difference, as well as a noticeable difference in throttle response. Under normal driving conditions, it seems I do not need to push the pedal down as far to get the truck moving from a stop. You can't even tell that it's there. When you step on the throttle, you can feel a power difference, as well as hear the air being sucked into the engine.

My truck has 3,332 miles on it, and is averaging 17.0 mpg on the computer display. After my initial 35 mile drive after install (60% city and 40% back roads) , I am averaging 18.7 mpg on the computer display. I am hoping for a increase in mpg, which is what my main reason for purchasing was (besides increased power when needed). If the 1.7 mpg i saw today was any indicator of what I will get, I will be extremely happy. I know it will take more time for the computer to relearn everything, so I will post back with a before and after picture, as well as my findings in fuel economy changes!

Overall, so far, so good. I would recommend this mod to others!

Last edited:

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
Be careful with those K&N filters. In order to increase airflow on a stock vehicle, filtration needs to be diminished. Even the fine print from K&N states that their filters filter better as contaminates are collected. In my mind that means dirt is needed to filter dirt. Not a good thing. Also if you bought in to the washable filter, do not over oil it. My son and I built an 02 F350 with a 7.3 diesel to race. We put it on the dyno whenever we made any major changes. We had to add 200 HP from stock before the factory filters would collapse due to the motor being hungry for O2.

dave10a

Years ago when I owned a diesel pusher with a Caterpillar engine, I was informed by Caterpillar that their warranty would be in jeopardy with after market air and fuel filters. They claimed that most of them were not as effective as thier paper filters. Just sayin... :) Also with turbo chargers and computer controlled engines, air flow is compensated for by the computers making most of the after market claims for those engine pie in the sky.

Lynn1130

You don't say but I am assuming that your truck is a diesel. K&N stops dirt by using oil and or their oil based product in the filter material. The oil is pulled through the breathing system of the truck and can, and will coat the MAF sensor located behind the filter. You then start to get strange trouble codes having to do with the airflow, turbo and other components after the MAF (mass airflow sensor). K&Ns are not that good for diesels. The problem they create outweigh the benefits, if any.

MountainDon

Granted it was a different time in technology, but I ran a K&N is my 2000 F-250 SD diesel for 200000 miles. I instantly added 1-2 MPG when I installed it and never had an issue.

You must be very careful not to over oil the filter when you clean it, It it also handy to keep a spare paper filer to let the filter fully dry before you oil it and put it back on the truck

Lynn1130

The other problem with these filters and it was mentioned in an earlier post in this thread, is fine dust particles. There are a number of threads on various SXS sites, including Honda, about people running K&N and having the engines develop problems from fine sand and dust making it by the filter and into the engine causing premature engine wear. Granted most of the SXS use is off road but areas like those of us in Arizona where dust is about 20% of everyday air, and can be 90% in summer dust storms, it can be an issue.

I ran K&N in a couple of vehicles over the years but after seeing some of the studies about how much dirt gets by them in order to get more air by, and then the threads on the Duramax sites about MAF issues with the K&N I decided it was not worth the "reported" increase in power and fuel mileage. And remember, you oil it so are you sure you got it right? Most mechanics will tell you that the very best air filter is the one that came with your vehicle. If there was a better one, the manufacturer would put it on the vehicle. BTW an OEM MAF for a duramax will run around $345.

If you want more power buy a bigger engine. That is what a service tech told me about chipping the Duramax. But, a set of tunes by a professional is an option also. Problem is that, too adds wear to an engine. Most of these engines are designed to run their best without blowing themselves up. Sure you can tweak them but if that is they way they were supposed to run, that is the way they would be set up.