Disk Brake Wheel Bearings

Gary521

This is for those who have replaced the drum brakes with disk brakes. I had a wheel bearing failure about a month ago. When I went to replace the hub/rotor, I found that the outer bearing specified was different than the bearing originally specified by the original supplier, when I bought them new. I bought the brakes from an on-line supplier - can't remember who. Why the different bearing numbers? I decided to check all the bearings on my trailer and found them ALL to be bad. I have Kodiak brakes so I called Kodiak to find out why the different bearing numbers. This is where it gets complicated. As of 2018, Dexter Axle now owns both Kodiak and Titan brakes. There are not a lot of folks at Dexter that you can talk to that know anything about these brakes. However, I was able to talk to the engineer responsible for Kodiak brakes and he was able to shed some light. This is what he told me. Kodiak and Titan brakes are identical and always have been. Titan was a knock off of Kodiak. The Titan brake line is going away BUT they MAY keep the Titan name of a couple of products.

Here is where my particular bearings failed. The hub/rotor is different for the 9/16" wheel stud vs the 1/2" wheel stud on the same axle size. The outer bearing is different. HOWEVER, some on-line suppliers do not realize this and specify the same bearing outer bearing. Yes, for most of the wheel studs on Bighorn, Big Country and Landmark, we have 9/16 wheel studs BUT, as stated, some suppliers do not now that there are different bearings. The Dexter engineer I talked to said that he was new to this product line and he did not know why there were different outer bearings for the 1/2" wheel stud and the 9/16 wheel stud on the same axle. He was going to do some digging to find out the history. So when I bought the brakes, I was told the incorrect outer bearing number to get.

I have 7000 lb. axles. The correct outer wheel bearing for 7000 lb axles with 9/16 wheel studs is # 02475 This is the same outer bearing if you have 8000 lb axles too. The incorrect bearing for 7000 lb axes is # 14125A . This is for DISK BRAKES. This is where some suppliers get confused. The outer bearing for DRUM brakes with 9/16" wheel studs on 7000 lb axles is the # 14125A.

So if you have to replace a bearing, make sure you have the correct part and specify drum or disk brakes.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I have 7000 lb. axles. The correct outer wheel bearing for 7000 lb axles with 9/16 wheel studs is # 02475 This is the same outer bearing if you have 8000 lb axle. This is for DISK BRAKES.

So if you have to replace a bearing, make sure you have the correct part and specify drum or disk brakes.

Yep. That be the outer bearing for our BH 7K axles in the DIY kit I ordered from Performance Trailer Braking about 2 yrs ago when Ron was still the guy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTPockets

A note about the part numbers.... 02475 and 14125-A are both the bearing “cone”.. that is the inner race and rollers. Both are 1 1/14” I.D., but you should always use the correct matching part. That number does not include the outer raceway that is pressed into the wheel hub. The reason bearing manufacturers do this is that there are different size diameter outer raceways. I should note also that you should always replace both inner cone and outer race. Never just the inner cone, and also order the same number stamped on that part as well.
I retired from the bearing business and conducted maintenance training classes as well. It’s very common that shortcuts are taken and the outer races are not replaced, leading to early bearing failure.

wdk450

This is for those who have replaced the drum brakes with disk brakes. I had a wheel bearing failure about a month ago. When I went to replace the hub/rotor, I found that the outer bearing specified was different than the bearing originally specified by the original supplier, when I bought them new. I bought the brakes from an on-line supplier - can't remember who. Why the different bearing numbers? I decided to check all the bearings on my trailer and found them ALL to be bad. I have Kodiak brakes so I called Kodiak to find out why the different bearing numbers. This is where it gets complicated. As of 2018, Dexter Axle now owns both Kodiak and Titan brakes. There are not a lot of folks at Dexter that you can talk to that know anything about these brakes. However, I was able to talk to the engineer responsible for Kodiak brakes and he was able to shed some light. This is what he told me. Kodiak and Titan brakes are identical and always have been. Titan was a knock off of Kodiak. The Titan brake line is going away BUT they MAY keep the Titan name of a couple of products.

Here is where my particular bearings failed. The hub/rotor is different for the 9/16" wheel stud vs the 1/2" wheel stud on the same axle size. The outer bearing is different. HOWEVER, some on-line suppliers do not realize this and specify the same bearing outer bearing. Yes, for most of the wheel studs on Bighorn, Big Country and Landmark, we have 9/16 wheel studs BUT, as stated, some suppliers do not now that there are different bearings. The Dexter engineer I talked to said that he was new to this product line and he did not know why there were different outer bearings for the 1/2" wheel stud and the 9/16 wheel stud on the same axle. He was going to do some digging to find out the history. So when I bought the brakes, I was told the incorrect outer bearing number to get.

I have 7000 lb. axles. The correct outer wheel bearing for 7000 lb axles with 9/16 wheel studs is # 02475 This is the same outer bearing if you have 8000 lb axles too. The incorrect bearing for 7000 lb axes is # 14125A . This is for DISK BRAKES. This is where some suppliers get confused. The outer bearing for DRUM brakes with 9/16" wheel studs on 7000 lb axles is the # 14125A.

For Everybody's Information: MorRyde has been installing Kodiak brake systems for years.

Gary521

A note about the part numbers.... 02475 and 14125-A are both the bearing “cone”.. that is the inner race and rollers. Both are 1 1/14” I.D., but you should always use the correct matching part. That number does not include the outer raceway that is pressed into the wheel hub. The reason bearing manufacturers do this is that there are different size diameter outer raceways. I should note also that you should always replace both inner cone and outer race. Never just the inner cone, and also order the same number stamped on that part as well.
I retired from the bearing business and conducted maintenance training classes as well. It’s very common that shortcuts are taken and the outer races are not replaced, leading to early bearing failure.
Just to double check, I pulled the race from the outer bearing on one of the hubs. Yes, it was for the 02475 bearing. I do intend to replace the races as well as the bearings. I did some more checking and some suppliers are still listing the incorrect outer bearings for these disk brake hubs. The inner bearings are all the same. I could not understand why I had a failure as I have probably repacked a gazillion of these things. I have a bearing press so replacing these races goes fairly quickly.

MTPockets

Just to double check, I pulled the race from the outer bearing on one of the hubs. Yes, it was for the 02475 bearing. I do intend to replace the races as well as the bearings. I did some more checking and some suppliers are still listing the incorrect outer bearings for these disk brake hubs. The inner bearings are all the same. I could not understand why I had a failure as I have probably repacked a gazillion of these things. I have a bearing press so replacing these races goes fairly quickly.
It sounds like you’re doing it right. What is the part number on the outer race?

Gary521

The part number is 02420. There are probably a lot of places to buy these things but I got them at Rockauto. I got Timken bearings. The trailer places have the bearings but they are the Chinese versions. They probably are not bad but I went with a familiar name.

mlpeloquin

I have got to ask, can someone give me the part numbers for Titan 7k breaks for the:

Inner bearing and race:
Outer bearing and race: 02420
Grease seal:

I don't want to take it apart to find the part numbers first. I have limited time, 72 house, in front of my house to work on it. City ordinance and thy do enforce it.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I have got to ask, can someone give me the part numbers for Titan 7k breaks for the:

Inner bearing and race:
Outer bearing and race: 02420
Grease seal:

I don't want to take it apart to find the part numbers first. I have limited time, 72 house, in front of my house to work on it. City ordinance and thy do enforce it.

These were the numbers stamped from my DIY kit from Ron at Titan. 7K axles

BH axles

Seal-Dexter 010-036-00
Rear Bearing- LYC 25580
Front Bearing- RTK 02475

MKD 215 Universal Brake Pads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTPockets

The only other number you need is the inner race: 25520

- - - Updated - - -

Like I said, Chinese bearings. Inexpensive-yes, good - who knows.
In my nearly 40 years in bearing business I never once heard of any real issues with any bearings manufacturers. All are classified and must adhere to AFBMA specs. (Anti friction bearing manufacturers association). Many users would balk at using foreign bearings which for various reasons is understandable, including but not limited to “buy American first”. I always promoted mostly American made, but even Timken is made in China and other countries as well as USA. Much more from Germany, Japan, Romania, France. Bottom line, except emotions, nothing to worry about using foreign made.

Dennyha

but even Timken is made in China and other countries as well as USA. Much more from Germany, Japan, Romania, France. Bottom line, except emotions, nothing to worry about using foreign made.

I have to respectfully disagree. As to Timken bearings being made in China, that is somewhat true. Timken does have bearing plants in China, as well as countries around the world. One of the struggles all bearing makers have in a China is getting clean steel. BUT, the bearing sizes we are talking about here, for Timken specifically, are all made in Bucyrus, Ohio. The steel is made in Canton, Ohio.

No bearing manufacturer is perfect, and Chinese made bearings will likely be fine, but the odds of failure due to cleanness, heat treatment, or grinding issues are significantly lower on non-Chinese made bearings.

Last edited:

MTPockets

I have to respectively disagree. As to Timken bearings being made in China, that is somewhat true. Timken does have bearing plants in China, as well as countries around the world. One of the struggles all bearing makers have in a China is getting clean steel. BUT, the bearing sizes we are talking about here, for Timken specifically, are all made in Bucyrus, Ohio. The steel is made in Canton, Ohio.

No bearing manufacturer is perfect, and Chinese made bearings will likely be fine, but the odds of failure due to cleanness, heat treatment, or grinding issues are significantly lower on non-Chinese made bearings.
And the source of your information?

Dennyha

And the source of your information?
I’ve worked in the bearing, and bearing steel business for over 35 years. I’ve reviewed, and performed, many failure analyses on failed bearing components. I’ve been involved in multiple steel cleanness comparisons between domestic and foreign bearing manufacturers.

Again, I’m not saying all foreign bearings are bad, and all domestic bearings are good. I’m saying that when I saw my Cyclone had Chinese bearings last year, I changed them out for Timken bearings because I know the chances for a failure are less. When I had the Chinese cones cut up and evaluated, they were made from steel that was not very clean. I’m happy I changed them out.

Gary521

I do not know where the Timken bearings were made that I put in. They were stamped on the back next to the part number "USA". As a follow up to my problem, I had another issue. As I stated, the bearings were specified wrong by the brake supplier. When I went to replace the caliper bracket, which got bent, the supplier this time again specified the wrong part. This was a different supplier than I bought the brakes from. Doing some digging on my part, I had to tell the supplier which part to send me for a replacement. It looks like I am now the expert as to which parts go with which axles for Kodiak brakes. I have to say that the supplier, this time, was very good about replacement and said that they were going to change their web site to correct to issue.