I really like this new pin box!

jeffdee

8E35AAB5-5ED2-4A2E-A26C-BE4050DCAD99.jpg B6C43CAC-1D8C-44C6-846D-DEF5AE052F2C.jpg

I just had this Trail Air pin box installed. The tow home was so much smoother than the last five years of towing with the original pin box. I just ordered air bag kit for the rear axle of my truck. A smoother ride will make long range traveling so much better.

mlpeloquin

You will love the air bags too. I set my air bag pressure to level the truck and keep the proper weight on the front tires. This will give you a nose higher pitch on the fifth wheel, but it has not changed the total height. I measured form the ground to the top of the roof and from the roof to the highest point which is the AC shroud.

NYSUPstater

It truly is amazing how a air ride hitch smooths out things. We are on our 2nd 5th AB (1st went w/ old coach) and love it. Many good things as well on the Trail Air's.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
You will love the air bags too. I set my air bag pressure to level the truck and keep the proper weight on the front tires. This will give you a nose higher pitch on the fifth wheel, but it has not changed the total height. I measured form the ground to the top of the roof and from the roof to the highest point which is the AC shroud.

Curious why you have a nose up condition. You should be able to adjust your hitch and or pin box to eliminate that. Towing nose up adds more weight to your rear axle.

aRAYwego

InkedTrailair Flexair_LI.jpgJust something I'd like to share with the group. If you tow with a Trailair Flexair, you may want to check the bolt shown in the photo. I have found it to be loose on two occasions. The first time was purely by accident. I happened to see some daylight between the washer and the body of the pinbox. It was loose enough that I could move the washer with my fingers. I tightened it and on we went. Towed about 1,000 miles and it had worked loose again. I looked at a friends trailair flexair and sure enough theirs was loose also. It is now added to the pre-flight checklist. As a side not, this is the only bolt found to be loose and was also the same bolt on our friends unit.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If that bolt falls out, the pivot shaft will not fall out as it is captured by the hitch frame on one side and the large black tabbed washer on the other side. It is also resting in two bronze bushings.
I used to find my bolt laying in the bed of the truck all the time.
I (Lippert) replaced both toothed lock washers. Hasn't fallen out since.
The Locktite on the bolt threads is a good idea.

Peace
Dave