Dual alternators

carl.swoyer

So I just looked at my new to me Silverado ltz, and .... I have two alternators. Anybody out there have any input towards using the second one.?
I was wondering if I could use it for a dedicated charge line for my Landmark fifth wheel while traveling. Do you think I'm going to get the full charge rate to the fifth wheel batteries?
Thanks

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Garypowell

Carl,

it has always been my impression that on dual alternator trucks they are booth “hooked” into the truck electrical system. Used for the extra draw that a winch, for example, would cause.

It it will be interesting if you can split one out.

carl.swoyer

Carl,

it has always been my impression that on dual alternator trucks they are booth “hooked” into the truck electrical system. Used for the extra draw that a winch, for example, would cause.

Gary,
That's what I was wondering. If I could isolate one for a dedicated charge line for the fifth wheel?
I guess I'll keep an eye out for a possible way to get it to work.

Lynn1130

LBR

To maximize this project's rewards, rewiring with an ample gauge wire from the tow vehicle alternator to trailer batteries inclusive would be necessary....time consuming, but easy enough to do and inexpensive. Breaking one alternator out of the tow rig dual charging system should be also easy to do. Here is where the plot would thicken IMO: Regulating the independent charge voltages/amperages.

I would ASSume there should only one regulator for both alternators on this vehicle? If they both had their own internal regulators, it seems like there could be "fighting for supremecy" between the two? If both have regulators, is one alternator's regulator defunct of operation from the factory?

Once the regulating Q & A has been solved, it should be a green light project.

carl.swoyer

Did you check the related threads with a search? There was a volume of threads on the dual alternators that I saw. I did not go through each.

It appeared that the dual alternator setup was generally for plow work.

Here is another about isolating the alternator and a wiring info. That site is filled with good info but it does take some searching at times.

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/76...electrical/222068-dual-alternator-wiring.html
Lynn
Thanks I'll get into the other forum. I hopefully going to be able to isolate one of the alternator to charge the fifth wheel

carl.swoyer

Carl,

Gary I'm not sure, however I think this truck might have a plow prep package.

carl.swoyer

LBR I will have to ask the dealership how they are wired.
If the truck has a plow package I'm hoping there's two separate systems?
To maximize this project's rewards, rewiring with an ample gauge wire from the tow vehicle alternator to trailer batteries inclusive would be necessary....time consuming, but easy enough to do and inexpensive. Breaking one alternator out of the tow rig dual charging system should be also easy to do. Here is where the plot would thicken IMO: Regulating the independent charge voltages/amperages.

I would ASSume there should only one regulator for both alternators on this vehicle? If they both had their own internal regulators, it seems like there could be "fighting for supremecy" between the two? If both have regulators, is one alternator's regulator defunct of operation from the factory?

carl.swoyer

Did you check the related threads with a search? There was a volume of threads on the dual alternators that I saw. I did not go through each.

It appeared that the dual alternator setup was generally for plow work.

Here is another about isolating the alternator and a wiring info. That site is filled with good info but it does take some searching at times.

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/76...electrical/222068-dual-alternator-wiring.html
Lynn
I'm going back into the thread
Thanks again

carl.swoyer

LBR,
I CALLED THE DEALERSHIP AND THEY ARE WIRED TOGETHER. OH WELL I GUESS I'LL PUT THIS ON THE BACK BURNER

tgrshk19

You could mount another alternator say a one wire older delco like the use in race cars and power it off of your driveshaft if you are really interested in a distinct charge line

they used do do this on some of the older custom off road vehicles

carl.swoyer

You could mount another alternator say a one wire older delco like the use in race cars and power it off of your driveshaft if you are really interested in a distinct charge line

they used do do this on some of the older custom off road vehicles
I ended up buying the fifth wheel pigtail for the bed of the truck. It piggy backs into the bumper trailer harness.
After doing this I test the charge pin and it's reading 14.6 at idle.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

tgrshk19

I ended up buying the fifth wheel pigtail for the bed of the truck. It piggy backs into the bumper trailer harness.
After doing this I test the charge pin and it's reading 14.6 at idle.

some of the newer trucks won't charge until you test the trailer brake from the controller just an FYI pretty sure I read Rams and Fords

Jeff

carl.swoyer

Thanks
I'll look into that

Update on the charge.
Yesterday I drove 5 1/2 hours with the refrigerator on propane. I disconnected the truck performed auto level & opened the slides.
Before applying shore power my batteries read 12.65
Very happy with the new Silverado Duramax dually!
A side note from Florida to Iowa thru the Ozarks never touched the break going down any steep grade