B & W Companion

Dave_Jari

First, my set up is a B & W rollover gooseneck with a B & W Companion 5th wheel hitch. My problem. After using Companion hitch, could not release locking pin under hitch plate. I tried everything I knew to do to remove. Thought grime from road had frozen as temps were in the twenties. Finally gave up and went to professionals representing B & W products. Found that locking pin was bent. On Companion it has a sticker for tensioning bolt that says sixty foot pounds of torque yet it bent my pin. B & W says that I didn't have pin fully engaged, but handle stops just shy of frame rail, where it was by the way. B & W warranted placement of lower plate but I had to pay the labor, good enough. I don't think that they would have replaced it had they not heard of this issue before. ????? What do you think? The tech that did replacement told me he installed new unit on new truck and it did the same thing. Said he torqued to specs, and suggested I not torque to that tension, but would not say what torque to use. Have any of you had similar situation? I did think that highway travel and bouncing and banging down our wonderfully potholed and jointed surfaces maybe did contribute but don't know. Would an air ride hitch eliminate most of the torture to the hitch.
Sorry to run on, but look forward to your thoughts, thanks!

Kathi-27

First, my set up is a B & W rollover gooseneck with a B & W Companion 5th wheel hitch. My problem. After using Companion hitch, could not release locking pin under hitch plate. I tried everything I knew to do to remove. Thought grime from road had frozen as temps were in the twenties. Finally gave up and went to professionals representing B & W products. Found that locking pin was bent. On Companion it has a sticker for tensioning bolt that says sixty foot pounds of torque yet it bent my pin. B & W says that I didn't have pin fully engaged, but handle stops just shy of frame rail, where it was by the way. B & W warranted placement of lower plate but I had to pay the labor, good enough. I don't think that they would have replaced it had they not heard of this issue before. ????? What do you think? The tech that did replacement told me he installed new unit on new truck and it did the same thing. Said he torqued to specs, and suggested I not torque to that tension, but would not say what torque to use. Have any of you had similar situation? I did think that highway travel and bouncing and banging down our wonderfully potholed and jointed surfaces maybe did contribute but don't know. Would an air ride hitch eliminate most of the torture to the hitch.
Sorry to run on, but look forward to your thoughts, thanks!
I always look under bed and make sure pin is fully seated before torqueing tension bolt. Have found pin that hadn't fully seated a couple of times. Had to pull pin out and let it slam home. then torqued. Have never had pin bend. It would really be hard to bend pin if fully seated even if it was over torque alittle.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
We have been using the same set up as you for the last 4 years without issue. We had a TT for a couple of years and the B&W hitch we used for years before that didn't have the issue you are describing. I have to wonder if the pin isn't going all the way through and is only catching the end. The pin is pretty solid and I would have to think that it would take an extreme amount of torque to bend it. I really do not think that there is room enough to allow any movement regardless how bad the roads are. If it was I am pretty sure you would know it.

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
We have had the same setup for the past 8 years and have never had a problem with our hitch or pin. The only thing I have run into is removing the ball if sand and grit have wedged it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk