4250 Garage Heater

JW4250

We usually just use space heaters unless it gets really cold and they can't keep up. When that happens, we use the furnace too but the vent in the garage blows the coldest air when the furnace is on! I've read on here that many garage heaters don't blow warm air because they are too far from the furnace but mine blows ice cold air very hard! It's basically pointless to even turn the furnace on when we have guest staying in the garage because it will freeze them out! I've also read not to block the vents but something needs to ge figured out. Any ideas?

Thx,

J

MikeandDar

I don't think there is much that can be done with that heater vent getting any hot air to the garage. I know that even the heat strip in the ac unit in our garage is about worthless as well.
We use an oil filled heater back there and that keeps it very comfortable and is safe.
One other thing I have done is put closable vents in the rest of the trailer to help deflect more heat and airflow away from the main bath and bedroom.
Carpet on the floor helps a little, other than that, like I tell my quests, It beats sleeping on the ground in a tent.:cool:

LBR

We usually just use space heaters unless it gets really cold and they can't keep up. When that happens, we use the furnace too but the vent in the garage blows the coldest air when the furnace is on! I've read on here that many garage heaters don't blow warm air because they are too far from the furnace but mine blows ice cold air very hard! It's basically pointless to even turn the furnace on when we have guest staying in the garage because it will freeze them out! I've also read not to block the vents but something needs to ge figured out. Any ideas?

Thx,

J
IMO, if you wanted to keep it comfortable for sleeping guests, the Wave 3 would be a good choice with it's 1,600-3,000 BTU settings. That should give you the zones that wouldn't be too hot to sleep in without having to startstopstartstop a larger BTU heater.

If you want to go "Tim The Toolman Taylor" mode, then choose the Wave 6 3,200-6,000 BTU and plan to leave the windows open more for comfort sleeping than you would need to with the Wave 3.

More heat takes more propane....and if the Wave 6 is too much for sleeping comfort on it's lowest setting, the windows will be open more, heating the outside air.

I plan to plumb in a Wave 6 in out 17.5' garage....for different reasons than yours (no sleeping quarters).

JW4250

I don't think there is much that can be done with that heater vent getting any hot air to the garage. I know that even the heat strip in the ac unit in our garage is about worthless as well.
We use an oil filled heater back there and that keeps it very comfortable and is safe.
One other thing I have done is put closable vents in the rest of the trailer to help deflect more heat and airflow away from the main bath and bedroom.
Carpet on the floor helps a little, other than that, like I tell my quests, It beats sleeping on the ground in a tent.:cool:

Thx, Mike. Yeah, we have space heaters too. But when we have to turn on the furnace, the back garage gets froze out with a continuous blast of cold air! I guess I should see about blocking the vent somehow. It's on the wall and not the floor to carpet won't do it. I'll figure it out. Thank you and have a Happy New Years!

Lynn1130

We camp in temps that get to 10 F or a few times even lower. The Big Buddy works great in the garage/bunk area for those who sleep there. My son-in-law says that on the top bunk, with the heater on low he is taking covers off. With two one pound bottles it will make it through a night or two so I usually hook it up with a 20 lb bottle and it will go 4-5 nights with it running just during sleeping times.

While CO2/CO is not an issue with this heater, I added a CO2-CO alarm to the back area just to be safe. And as with any heat running in a trailer you need to have a window cracked to prevent condensation.

As for the vent, you might check the line to be sure it does not have a hole in it somewhere. Mine was kinked and had little to no air moving. It does put out some warm air but not much. If it is not I would probably block it.

LBR

We camp in temps that get to 10 F or a few times even lower. The Big Buddy works great in the garage/bunk area for those who sleep there. My son-in-law says that on the top bunk, with the heater on low he is taking covers off. With two one pound bottles it will make it through a night or two so I usually hook it up with a 20 lb bottle and it will go 4-5 nights with it running just during sleeping times.

While CO2/CO is not an issue with this heater, I added a CO2-CO alarm to the back area just to be safe. And as with any heat running in a trailer you need to have a window cracked to prevent condensation.

As for the vent, you might check the line to be sure it does not have a hole in it somewhere. Mine was kinked and had little to no air moving. It does put out some warm air but not much. If it is not I would probably block it.
That is also what we are using for now...BTUs ratings are:

Low - 4,000
Med - 9,000
High - 18,000
21c20d62a93d593165e3b3881c5c4399.jpg