How to remove water heater?

PaulTG2

Help. Am I missing something?
I have a 2013 Landmark Grand Canyon. I went to replace the water heater and found there appears to be no way to access the back so that you can disconnect/connect the hoses. The hoses are too short to let you remove the unit to disconnect them, but there is no way to access the rear of the unit.
I pulled out the fire extinguisher holder out so I can see what's there, but there is no way to reach through that hole.
I removed the basement walls, but the water heater is buried so deep that to get to it from the basement would require taking apart drains and other structures. Perhaps a small child could get back there, but there is no way a normal human could.

I considered removing the other end of the hoses as I can access them from the basement. Unfortunately the hoses are tie wrapped to various stuff along the way and the other ends are crimp-on.

The floor of the unit extends into this are so you can't get it from underneath.
I can't find a way to remove the battery compartment structure, which seems to be the only way to get to it.
The only other option is cutting through the closet by the door.
Anyone have any suggestions? Things that I'm missing?

danemayer

Hi PaulGT2,

I think on your floor plan, the water heater is on the door side, with the battery compartment in between the water heater and the pass through storage. That does make it more difficult. A few years ago a bunch of us worked on JayC's water heater, taking it out for repair. As I recall, on his, we were able to pull it out and place it on a bench so as to remove the water connections.

After all was said and done, I think we realized that taking out the battery compartment would have made everything a lot easier.

I'm not sure how the compartment framing is screwed in place, but if you use a strong magnet, you can probably locate the screws.

PaulTG2

Hello,

Yes, the battery compartment is between the basement and the water heater. It means you have to go in from the other side to get around it -- and there is a toilet drain and other structures, wires, hoses, and who knows what in the way along that route.

I was hoping that the hoses were long enough to pull it out and put it on a table. Alas, not with this unit.

I did managed to get a middle shelf of the battery compartment loose. It would go in four inches and out a half inch. That was it. Perhaps with more work and assistance from the basement at the same time.

If no one has a better option perhaps when it warms up I'll open it all up and just keep working until I make it work.

I may go nuts and just open it all up and re-do it all. There is so much room for improvement in the h*ll-hole (aviation term). I could make room for more batteries, tidy it all up, and take care of the tank sensors while I'm at it.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Here are some of the pictures that Dan spoke of when my 2011 Grand Canyon was worked on.

Attachments

• DSCF6257.jpg
    DSCF6257.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 57
  • DSCF6242.jpg
    DSCF6242.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 49
  • DSCF6253.jpg
    DSCF6253.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 52

PaulTG2

Hello,

Yes, if I could get the center battery box shelf out, as you did, I could get to the hoses. How did you manage to get that out?

Sincerely,

Paul