Underbelly Question

bkline310

So my 2018 4270 cyclone is stationary. (Full Time live in it) We over filled the water tank 6-8 months ago (Can't remember exactly) and I poked a few holes in the under belly to drain out the excess water.

Fast forward to yesterday I had what smelt like **** all in the living/kitchen area. Thought maybe a line broke to the black tank. IT's fine. So started taking out the wall area in the storage area and boom hit with a wif of that smell, however nothing was wet or even moist. Further on I go beneath the camper and push up on the underbelly nothing. So I decided to cut open a huge (6x6) hole in the under belly. As I did that water came out. (I about jumped out of my skin thinking sewage landed on my face but it wasn't thank God). Still no signs of leaks at any of the pipes or connections nor flooring but definitely water "resting" between the plastic and the bubble foil (looks like reflexctix that people put in the windows) stuff they have on top of the plastic underbelly to insulate it. So what I'm thinking this stench was, was in fact the remains of water from when I over flowed the tank into the belly. I say that cause there's bit of surface rust looking stuff on the plastic and foil. However in between the plastic and foil is where the water is trapped and has really bad odor. Its rained on and off for the past few weeks. (1 rain a week it seems) but other than that I can't seem to see why it hasn't dried up considering I live in AZ.. Humidity here is non existent. Right now I have about a 6x6 hole in the under belly that I threw away the plastic and foil cause it stank but have plenty more I'm sure.

So the question is. How do we "vent" or dry out the under belly? Also since it doesn't move how bad would it be to leave it open to air out? (Cut or remove more of the under belly)

To add. I put a small fan by where the water heater is located to blow air down and out the under belly as the stentch was working its way to the camper through the "vent" right by my entry door that I believe is for the inverter and what not.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
At some point in time I had a water heater problem that flooded the underbelly. I just lowered the Coroplast material and let it dry for a few days.
Your fan idea is a good one.
Also I need to bring your attention to this. I once had a horrible odor inside. Smelled like sewer gas. Turns out that there was a stove burner just slightly on releasing LP gas that stunk.
So be sure that you check for an LP leak somewhere.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

If the odor persists after the underbelly dries out, check under the kitchen sink. Most coaches with sinks in an island have Studor Air Admittance Valves in the plumbing to act as a vent for the kitchen sink drain. If the valve membrane sticks open, odor from the holding tank leaks into the living area. To test this, you can put a plastic bag over the valve and secure it with a rubber band or tape to see if the odor goes away after a bit.

Some coaches where space is constrained under the sink use a HEPvO Valve instead of a p-trap. A failure of that valve can also produce odor.

Attachments

• Studor Air Admittance Valve.jpg
    Studor Air Admittance Valve.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 47
  • HepVo valve.jpg
    HepVo valve.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 45

Gary521

Check your grey tanks too. The smell from the grey tanks is very similar to the smell from the black tanks.

bkline310

Thanks guys.

Since I'm stationary. Do you think if I took the under belly off and left it off it would be bad? (Other than loosing what little insulation the plastic and foil is..)

danemayer

Thanks guys.

Since I'm stationary. Do you think if I took the under belly off and left it off it would be bad? (Other than loosing what little insulation the plastic and foil is..)

The critters probably would like it that way. Easier to get to things to chew on.

sengli

Last year I had to tow my new landmark thru some pretty bad rain storms. The belly ended up quite distended with rain water. I cut 3 different openings in the coroplast, and used one of those centrifugal blower fans, directed up into the under belly for like two weeks. Moving it , to different locations, from time to time.

I still had to manually removes the BAT type insulation that was wet, but in the end it was pretty dry.