Holding Tank Valves are hard to pull. Ideas?

george637

I have a 2016 Bighorn 3270rs. The holding tank valves in the universal docking system are extremely hard to pull out and push in. I sprayed both silicone and WD40 by the pull-outs, but that did not seem to help. Any suggestions on how to make the valves easier to maneuver?

George & Linda
Along with Licorice (Goldendoodle) & Taffy (terrier mix)

danemayer

Re: Universal Docking System Holding Tank Valves

I've had some success with 2 approaches: 1) vegetable oil and dawn liquid dish soap down the drain into the tank, and lubricant spray into the sewer outlet. Let sit for a few minutes and then exercise the valve by opening and closing a few times. 2) spray lube on the valve plungers. You'll need to either drop the corner of the front section of coroplast or create access openings.

I've installed zippered trap flaps in the coroplast to allow access to the valves. You can also get them from Amazon at a bit higher price.

B

Boatman

My experience is that it's not the cables, but rather the valves. Possibly have TP stuck in them. Have had nothing but problems with our remote cables and valves over the last 4 years. I looked into electric valves, but reviews indicate they have the same issues. IMHO it's a terrible design. Hope you have better success than we have had.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired

I have a 2016 Bighorn 3270rs. The holding tank valves in the universal docking system are extremely hard to pull out and push in. I sprayed both silicone and WD40 by the pull-outs, but that did not seem to help. Any suggestions on how to make the valves easier to maneuver?

George & Linda
Along with Licorice (Goldendoodle) & Taffy (terrier mix)

We have the same rig though 2017. Our grey #2 was very difficult to close and sometimes leaked past the valve. My second attempt to rectify, which was successful, involved breaching the belly again, disconnecting the cable end from the valve, re-routing and removing 30”. Two fingers now open and close that valve
Grey #1 will need addressed the same at some point
Black tank valve has always worked smoothly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gary F

Having same issue with mine for several years. Just been muscling it. Need to figure out how to strategically go about shorting the cables and lubricating the valves.

Following this thread.

Gary

Lynn1130

Second the baby oil or vegetable oil down the toilet or sink to lube the valve. That solution was posted on an RV maintenance video I saw awhile back. The oil also helps lube the toilet flush plate rubber.

CoveredWagon

Second the baby oil or vegetable oil down the toilet or sink to lube the valve. That solution was posted on an RV maintenance video I saw awhile back. The oil also helps lube the toilet flush plate rubber.

The oil also helps lube the toilet flush plate rubber.

Plumbers grease wiped on this seal does a great job. Plumbers grease in a small tube can be found at any big box store and many good hardware stores.

mlpeloquin

May I suggest to shorten the cables and add a lubircant to the neck at the base of the valve stem to each valve. I use one that is non toxic that can be used on faucets and filter gaskets as well. And do put the Flex Mend trap in for each valve. If you don't you will be sorry you did not. Over time, depending on use, the valves do have to be replaced.

Haynes Lubri-Film sanitary lubricant -
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007QU2UAA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Gaffer

Do not use WD40 from the UDC. It will clean the existing lubricant off the cable.

Lynn1130

Yes. I think this was discussed before in a thread on a different topic but WD40 is not a lubricant in spite of what many think and it hardens after some time. Many of us using it on guns years ago found out that it turns to varnish after awhile. There are some in-depth write-ups on that subject.

george637

May I suggest to shorten the cables and add a lubircant to the neck at the base of the valve stem to each valve. I use one that is non toxic that can be used on faucets and filter gaskets as well. And do put the Flex Mend trap in for each valve. If you don't you will be sorry you did not. Over time, depending on use, the valves do have to be replaced.

Haynes Lubri-Film sanitary lubricant -
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007QU2UAA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

What is a Flex Mend trap?

DickO

On both my 2010 Bighorn and now my 2017 Bighorn I had to have the cable on my black tank changed from 10 foot to 6 foot in length. Now works with one finger. My repair guy wonders why Heartland doesn't learn. He has changed too many to count.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired

On both my 2010 Bighorn and now my 2017 Bighorn I had to have the cable on my black tank changed from 10 foot to 6 foot in length. Now works with one finger. My repair guy wonders why Heartland doesn't learn. He has changed too many to count.

Just an FYI for the next time or whomever, the cables can be shortened just as easily and cheaper especially if you’re a DIY guy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wdk450

While I think the main cause of black tank valve hard operation for me is problems with the valve and seal itself, I can remember years ago when I rode a motorcycle and the cable controls got really stiff. I found a molybdenum cable spray kit at the motorcycle shop that used the spray tube and a foam seal to shoot the moly lube down the cable/casing. The improvement then was immediate and dramatic.

aatauses

I agree that is may not be the cable but the actual plunger. You can access this from the bottom and will notice how it works, just put some lube on that plunger and that may?? solve your issue.
al

mlpeloquin

While I think the main cause of black tank valve hard operation for me is problems with the valve and seal itself, I can remember years ago when I rode a motorcycle and the cable controls got really stiff. I found a molybdenum cable spray kit at the motorcycle shop that used the spray tube and a foam seal to shoot the moly lube down the cable/casing. The improvement then was immediate and dramatic.

Replaced my gray water valves twice after two years, and last February, replaced the black tank valve. The black tank valve finally starting to leak after four and a half years. The seals were warn and the bottom of the edge of the valve was not smooth anymore. You have to be careful installing the valve not to unseat the rubber seals. That is the reason I had to redo the gray water valves after three months. The edge of the valve caught the top of the seal and deformed them.