Bighorn Destroyed

BobTheBuilder

A tree in wet ground with strong winds fell on our car and our coach and totaled both. We were in the bed and it fell across the upper end--pretty frightening! We were not hurt but quite sad. Our BH 3610RE was absolutely perfect and will be hard to replace to find a similar used unit in excellent condition. Though we will look at others, another BH is our preference so pass along out contact if you know of one. BobE AT UnityAdjustments DOT COM (for some reason the system will not let me upload photos. We were in the bed and all but the AC came down on us but no injuries.

Mrsfish

BTB - so sorry to hear about your loss. How traumatizing it must have been. Thank goodness you are okay- the rig can be replaced.
you stated you would love a used, great condition replacement rig and I wanted to share info on a rig I know about. Fellow heartlanders Bob and Kim Dance have quit traveling, bought a home and are now trying to sell their truck and trailer. I have personally spent lots of time in this rig and can attest to its quality. Bob is a master handymand and Kim is a perfectionist. They are selling their 2011 Big Country 3510rl.. if you are interested, I can PM you their information. Oh, and they are located in Oregon

Bogie

Yikes! How frightening. Glad you were not hurt. Hopefully you will find a new rig soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

david-steph2018

We are both so sorry to hear about this. The best is you guys are not hurt. Best wishes on your search for a replacement unit(s) from both of us.

OSIN

Wow, glad you did not get hurt.

If you're looking for a nice rig, we just consigned our 2017 Landmark 35.6 ft. with full solar 1080 watts, 660ah batteries all Marine grade components etc. contact me for any questions. it's at Arizona RV Consignment in El Mirage, AZ

Paul

A tree in wet ground with strong winds fell on our car and our coach and totaled both. We were in the bed and it fell across the upper end--pretty frightening! We were not hurt but quite sad. Our BH 3610RE was absolutely perfect and will be hard to replace to find a similar used unit in excellent condition. Though we will look at others, another BH is our preference so pass along out contact if you know of one. BobE AT UnityAdjustments DOT COM (for some reason the system will not let me upload photos. We were in the bed and all but the AC came down on us but no injuries.

Rydrcoach

BTB: so glad you were not hurt. Sorry for your loss but as others have said the rig can be replaced. The important thing is you being safe. Good luck in your search for a replacement rig.

JJnVA

Oh MY! So glad you both were not hurt and so saddened to hear of your loss! We cannot imagine losing our 2011 3610RE. We feel the same as you about the 3610 floorplan being perfect. Have traveled all over the USA and Canada towing and living in our awesome home on wheels.

Will be "pulling for you" to find another 3610 model in top condition for enjoying your future RV adventures. All the best!

Last edited:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I hope your insurance was written for an agreed value ( like what you paid for the rig) and not a depreciated value at time of loss.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wdk450

I was near San Diego a couple of years back at Pio Pico Thousand Trails. They had a heavy duty windstorm one night into the next morning. That morning I suddenly heard a gigantic crash, and went outside to see that a big (2 foot diameter), heavy limb from a 50 foot Eucalyptus tree came crashing down square onto the top of a SOB 5th wheel right behind me. The roof did not cave in, but was severely dented. Thousand Trails gave the couple one of their cabins free for about a month, and immediately had a crew come in and trim ALL of the trees.

mlpeloquin

In northern California, San Benito Thousand Trails has the same problem with the Eucalyptus trees. I will not park under or near them. They have had several large branches and one large tree fall. We were warned by several full timers just how dangerous they are.

BobTheBuilder

Re: Bighorn Destroyed--Update on replacement

I looked intently for 3 days perusing hundreds of large 5[SUP]th[/SUP] wheels for sale and found what appeared to be a great identical BH3610RE last Sunday. Unfortunately it was put under contract just hours earlier!
I spent most of the next day again on the computer and phone and was getting discouraged. But mid-afternoon I finally located what appeared to be a pristine BH 3670RL at Landon's RV in Mesa for a fair asking price. I immediately called and told the sales person, Josh VanVaukenburg, our situation and that I wanted it. I still work full time plus having to deal with insurance and unload the destroyed unit. It was all totally consuming to the point I could not travel to Mesa to see the unit. I told Josh I would buy it sight unseen, wanted them to install a bedroom AC, do a thorough inspection and deliver it. When I told him I was still dealing with insurance but could go ahead and send a substantial deposit since I wanted them to start immediately, his response was if I trusted him he trusted me and I didn't need to send a deposit!
By the end of the next day they had worked all day, had the AC in and were taking care on truly nit picking items. Josh did a long walk through video he posted for us that was amazing in detail. He was also very responsive to all phone calls and emails. They are to deliver it next week so I'll give a final report here after I am in possession but so far I am highly pleased with Josh and Landon's. I believe they are meticulous and of high integrity and have no qualms about trusting them.

Insurance. I am an adjuster and know that most of the time companies give low offers that can be negotiated up. I want to share my experience here as a teaching moment for future reference in the event any of you may be unfortunate enough to be dealing with a total loss (it is true for autos too). THE TWO MOST IMPORTANT RULES! Put all communications in writing and do your own homework.

After I filed the claim by phone an inside adjuster called me the next day. I sent good photos and they agreed without an inspection that it was a total loss. I also gave them a list of the main options and sent a follow up email asking questions and stating the condition of my unit,
I know for settlement purposes you get some sort of a computer generated valuation. Is it based on recent sales or units available? Will you be able to give me a list of comparable units currently available? Does the evaluation include tax and registration or is that added once I incur them? What about transportation and set up cost? How do you estimate that? I know I can’t get exactly what I had but hope to find something close as the BH 3610RE was the most appealing RV ever to us and it was still like new in every way.”

I then spent most of the next day looking for units for sale (anywhere in the country) and looking at online evaluation services. I had two different documents going in my computer, one for INSURANCE SETTLEMENT and one for REPLACEMENT UNIT. I was only looking at Bighorns of the same size (but all floor plans) from anywhere for settlement purposes but also looking at other similar size brands I thought I would like and only closer to the west coast for a replacement unit. Each entry had a website link, prices and notes. By the end of the day I had 2 potential units I thought I would like and had in mind what I thought would be a fair settlement with the insurance company.

Two more days passed by before the adjuster called me and said they had the appraisal and said how much they would pay me. It was $2,000 less than what I thought was fair based on my research and I was firm but polite in stating that I thought it was low. He explained it was based on a very thorough appraisal completed by an independent firm. I asked for him to send me the appraisal and if it was correct, we would settle. I said if I found errors, I would point them out and ask that corrections be made.

The appraisal was 7 pages long and very similar in format to how a house appraisal is done with comps and adjustments. I spent about 5 hours pouring over the appraisal, finding the comps on line and studying the photos and specifications and even calling where they were for sale and asking additional questions and then putting my findings in writing. The biggest adjustment factor in the appraisal was rating the comps as average condition and mine was rated as poor. This really angered me as I had stated in writing that mine “was still like new in every way”. I also went to the original Heartland brochure and studied what were factory options. I was not the original purchaser and had no idea how many items on my coach were options!

I sent a very polite and business like 4 page letter challenging the appraisal and offered to send numerous pictures of the undamaged portions to prove the like new condition. I listed every error I had found on the comps and noted signs of excessive wear I saw in photos as well as the detailed list of all of my options. The adjuster said he would send my notes to the appraisal company for corrections to the appraisal.

Two more days went by during which time we made the commitment on the BH 3670RL referenced above. The adjuster called and said the revised appraisal came back $5,100 more! A few days earlier I would have settled for an additional $2,000 but my time spent researching and documenting every detail paid off. We are getting a slightly more expensive model, a year newer model, one in like-new condition and delivered from AZ to Northern CA (which was not a part of the insurance appraisal) for $128.67 more than we were paid in settlement.

Do NOT take the first offer.