Awning tie downs

Cdaddy

Been going back and forth for a while now. On newer electric awnings. Are they ok or not. Trying to get a definite answer for a group I over see.

Last edited by a moderator:

'Lil Guy'

Been going back and forth for a while now. On newer electric awnings. Are they ok or not. Trying to get a definite answer for a group I over see.

Not sure of your question. If you're referring to the electric awnings that come on our rigs, they are a great feature. AS far as tying them down, I have the shade attachment that has a drop on my canopy. I zip the screen to it and stake it down. Love it. I never leave my awning out when I leave the site. Never know when a high wind might appear.

Dmetcalf

Not sure of your question. If you're referring to the electric awnings that come on our rigs, they are a great feature. AS far as tying them down, I have the shade attachment that has a drop on my canopy. I zip the screen to it and stake it down. Love it. I never leave my awning out when I leave the site. Never know when a high wind might appear.

I agree as well with the idea of rolling them up before you leave. I have seen them stretched over the roof from a sudden onset of high winds Looked pretty expensive to me to fix.

Roller4tan

Somewhere in this forum, I think I've read about using pvc for uprights on the outer ends of the tube for support for the tiedowns.

uncledon

Her chauffeur
I have a 2015 BH with power awning. It does NOT have the wind detection feature that would retract it in high as winds. I secure both ends with ratchet straps OVER THE MAIN TUBE. I have bungee cords at the bottom of each strap attached to anchors sunk in the ground to give it some give. I also will retract it if leaving the site for long periods.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

'Lil Guy'

Honestly, this is a simple problem. If the winds come up where they are lifting the awning, just retract it till it calms down and don't leave your awning out if you leave. It's electric and very easy to pull in and deploy.

BLR

We were sitting at Our camp this week when an OH CRAP moment happened
No wind since we got up..11am or so a gust hit us..the awnings went pass where we felt Comfortable..rolled them in once it settled down.. I rolled in rear Hubby rolled in front one.
The next day I was going to put them out and the main awning(front) would not extend. Tried it a couple of times NO WAY, So I tried retract and it went out..lesson learned it rolled up backwards.
Thankfully we didn't have automatic retractable awnings

Sent from BLR Logistics

david-steph2018

We have the same on our Road Warrior. We put a sunblocker on the awning. Zip it on/off takes less than 5 minutes. One thing it will act as a tiedown, but in high winds the awning still goes in. Already experienced damage to the rear arm. Learned the cost for the non-motor end is $650.00.

mlpeloquin

I have a 2015 BH with power awning. It does NOT have the wind detection feature that would retract it in high as winds. I secure both ends with ratchet straps OVER THE MAIN TUBE. I have bungee cords at the bottom of each strap attached to anchors sunk in the ground to give it some give. I also will retract it if leaving the site for long periods.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Saw a nice new class A with the wind detection. It rolled up nicely. When deployed the next day a sudden big gust hit it. It did not look so nice on its roof. I have stakes, parashoot cord, and springs. I tie down both ends of the awning. If a big gust hits, it has just sprung up some and settled back. I then remove the tie downs and bring it in. You could not used tie downs with the automatic system.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh

When the weather is perfect the electric awnings work great. Other than that they are too flimsy and we rarely ever use ours.