Question about frame flex

Big-B

Greetings fellow campers,

I noticed on our trip from Michigan to the Southwest that we are having an issue with the trim showing movement under the bedroom slide on our 3055 Bighorn fifth wheel. The only thing that I can figure is that maybe a weld let loose on the frame. Door side still looks good but there is about a 1/2 inch gap on the bedroom slide side when it is hooked up to the truck. Once it is unhooked it goes back to almost the same position as it was judging by looking at the caulk line.

If I can remember how to post pictures I will post them. I'd appreciate any input on this as I don't want to see it become more serious than it is. We are in New Mexico now and have a good repair shop close by.

Thanks,
Brian

mlpeloquin

There are fasteners (self driling/tapping) screws that hold the two frames together. The heads have broken off. In bad cases, the frame welds have failed. I had the fastener heads pop off. If you take the weight off the front and the gap goes away, it maybe just the fasteners. I had heaver gauge fasteners installed and doubled up. Get it fixed ASAP because the stress on the remaining fasteners will only make it worse. Once fixed, I have not had any more problems, but I added airlift to the truck and a TrailAir FlexAir king pin. Much smoother ride in my truck and the fifth wheel.

Big-B

There are fasteners (self driling/tapping) screws that hold the two frames together. The heads have broken off. In bad cases, the frame welds have failed. I had the fastener heads pop off. If you take the weight off the front and the gap goes away, it maybe just the fasteners. I had heaver gauge fasteners installed and doubled up. Get it fixed ASAP because the stress on the remaining fasteners will only make it worse. Once fixed, I have not had any more problems, but I added airlift to the truck and a TrailAir FlexAir king pin. Much smoother ride in my truck and the fifth wheel.

Thanks for that information Marc. Did Lippert or Heartland give you any help with paying for the repairs? It doesn't seem like a problem that should be happening. Did you by chance get any pictures?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I suggest that you call Heartland Customer Service and explain your situation and ask if they can offer any help. Of course, have your VIN handy.
If you crawl into the front compartment and look at the side framing up under the bedroom you may be able to see some broken welds. Or not.
It is all welded.
I would not hesitate to tow it back to MI.

Heartland Customer Service.
574-262-8030

Peace
Dave

Big-B

I suggest that you call Heartland Customer Service and explain your situation and ask if they can offer any help. Of course, have your VIN handy.
If you crawl into the front compartment and look at the side framing up under the bedroom you may be able to see some broken welds. Or not.
It is all welded.
I would not hesitate to tow it back to MI.

Heartland Customer Service.
574-262-8030

Peace
Dave

Thanks Dave. I'll give them a call tomorrow and report back as to what they have to say.

mlpeloquin

Thanks for that information Marc. Did Lippert or Heartland give you any help with paying for the repairs? It doesn't seem like a problem that should be happening. Did you by chance get any pictures?

My fifth wheel was a few months past the warranty. Afer the frames were expose, pictures were sent to Heartland and then to Lippert. Lippert stated that the frames were not damaged. That was true. I decided to get it repaired not waiting for Heartland. Heartland came back a week later and chipped in almost $500.00 in good faith. I was happy. The repair was just under or over $1000.00 as I remember.

The fasteners are located under the front skin. You have to remove the side trim on both sides and the front storage door and frame. This exposes the fasteners in question. As I remember, all the fasteners heads were broken off from the bottom with the exception of the last one on the top side.

DSCF1442.jpg

DSCF1487.JPG
DSCF1488.JPG

DSCF1584.JPG

aatauses

We experienced this issue a few years back on a 2010 Bighorn. We called HL and were advised to get it fixed as it could only get worse with time. We did find some broken welds that had to be rewelded.
al

wdk450

I'm not seeing any similar threads at the bottom of the page.

Here is what I just copied from by scrolling to the bottom of this thread page:

Similar Threads

• Frame Flex Again

By Dave49 in forum Frame / Landing, Leveling & Stabilizing Gear

Replies: 20Last Post: 07-15-2018, 06:23 AM
  • Possible Frame Flex ??

By Tundra2084 in forum Frame / Landing, Leveling & Stabilizing Gear

Replies: 15Last Post: 11-13-2015, 11:05 AM
  • Possible Frame Flex

By dix36 in forum Frame / Landing, Leveling & Stabilizing Gear

Replies: 12Last Post: 11-22-2014, 12:24 PM
  • Possible Frame Flex

By dix36 in forum Bighorn - General Discussions

Replies: 0Last Post: 07-15-2014, 06:29 PM
  • Flex in the Frame by Pin Box

By MJordan in forum Frame / Landing, Leveling & Stabilizing Gear

Replies: 12Last Post: 10-31-2012, 11:45 AM

Big-B

Thanks Bill. I just learned something. I was looking at the bottom of the page with all the threads on it. Now I'll take a look at the similar threads.

Here is what I just copied from by scrolling to the bottom of this thread page: