BigHorn model BH 3871 FBO

Hi all, I am interested in finding out as much info as I can about this particular model.
Have any of you upgraded to full paint?
Have any of you upgraded to dual-pane glass?
Is there an option to upgrade the running gear, as in 8k axles with 17.5” wheels?
Any option for bigger brakes than the 12”x2” drums ?

Thanks in advance for any comments to this thread.
Rick

jbeletti

Hi there,

I don't know anything in particular about this floor plan. Bighorn is our top-selling 5th wheel, so your off to a great start.

I have had the dual pane windows in 7 of my last 8 5th wheels. Love them. In my opinion, they offer 2 advantages:
  1. They provide a thermal break between the outside and inside air. This is important if you live in the coach during the heating season
  2. They provide some acoustical benefits by transmitting less outside noise to the inside
Of course - there are cons too.
  1. Cost
  2. Weight
Tom Montague, the GM for the Bighorn brand is pretty good about monitoring this Prospective Owner sub-forum and may weigh in on the factory orderability of some of the items you're asking about.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
On the Heartland website I do not see an option for a doorside slideout power awning, nor do I see an option for the outdoor entertainment (TV and/or stereo). Are these no longer available?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh ya, one more observation. It looks like the theater seats no longer have the center console, seem like more of a love seat now. Any reason for going away from that?

T

TomMontague

All good questions and I have the answers for you.

Dual pane windows are available
8k axles and 17.5” tires with the bigger brakes are only available on LM365.
We do have a power awning and you have an option for a second power awning on the dinette slide in almost all floor plans. You have the option for alumi-guard awnings as well.
Outside tv hook ups are in the pass-thru storage

Sorry I didn’t reply the right way and I can’t see the other questions but I think I answered most of not all of them.

I will respond again if I forgot something. Oh yes - full body paint is an option as well.

Center consoles are available in most floor plans. I will try and get a list out tomorrow is of the couple that do t have the center console in the theater seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CDN

B and B
Hello,

You could do a disc brake upgrade on your existing axles if you wish. Adding 8 k axles do not add payload to the Bighorn piece of mind more so. Many vendors and options available. Possible thought for my Bighorn someday.

T

TomMontague

Hello,

You could do a disc brake upgrade on your existing axles if you wish. Adding 8 k axles do not add payload to the Bighorn piece of mind more so. Many vendors and options available. Possible thought for my Bighorn someday.

That would be a question for someone else or maybe someone at Mor-Ryde. I just know that from the factory we don’t offer them for Bighorn.

Talk soon.
Tom

T

TomMontague

That would be a question for someone else or maybe someone at Mor-Ryde. I just know that from the factory we don’t offer them for Bighorn.

Talk soon.
Tom

There is no difference between the Bighorn and LM365 frame - both are 12” I-beam with 10” I-beam drop sections. They might have different outriggers or more bracing for larger tanks etc. but the basic I-beam construction is exactly the same. Clearly the hangers for larger axles might also be different.

Talk soon
Tom

esscobra

I have full body paint and love it- get the axle upgrade to the 8k- you cant get the 17.5 but you can get the 8ks axles still installed I believe- the brakes are almost double the size and will have no issues stopping -I run factory gm brake controller and 3-3.5 setting will slow truck down very quickly and would not even consider disc conversion.

you can easily sell the factory wheel/tire combo to recoup cost of upgrade to 17.5

daul pane are well worth it - cooler in summer .better in winter and much better sound insulation

SNOKING

Hi all, I am interested in finding out as much info as I can about this particular model.
Have any of you upgraded to full paint?
Have any of you upgraded to dual-pane glass?
Is there an option to upgrade the running gear, as in 8k axles with 17.5” wheels?
Any option for bigger brakes than the 12”x2” drums ?

Thanks in advance for any comments to this thread.
Rick

Hopefully if they will install 8K axles, they will up the GVWR.

Dry weight is 14265 and GVWR is 16,250 leaving less than 2K carry capacity. Dual pane windows subtracts xxx pounds from CC, full body paint subtracts xx pounds.

Our BH3575el has just under 3K CC and we use just about all of that, without a Washer/Dryer and gen set.

T

TomMontague

Hopefully if they will install 8K axles, they will up the GVWR.

Dry weight is 14265 and GVWR is 16,250 leaving less than 2K carry capacity. Dual pane windows subtracts xxx pounds from CC, full body paint subtracts xx pounds.

Our BH3575el has just under 3K CC and we use just about all of that, without a Washer/Dryer and gen set.

We ( Heartland ) never increases the GVWR with or without the axle swap. It remains the same no matter what.

Talk soon
Tom

We ( Heartland ) never increases the GVWR with or without the axle swap. It remains the same no matter what.

Talk soon
Tom

Hello Tom, so can you tell us what the GVWR of a LM 365 is?
I know the LM 365 uses the same frame as the BH, but the LM 365 has the 8k axles, 17.5” wheels and bigger brakes.
TIA

T

TomMontague

Hello Tom, so can you tell us what the GVWR of a LM 365 is?
I know the LM 365 uses the same frame as the BH, but the LM 365 has the 8k axles, 17.5” wheels and bigger brakes.
TIA

Bighorn and LM365 don’t use the same frames, there are differences in design to accommodate for the larger tanks and so editions small differences. The biggest difference and most important maybe is the upgraded and much heavier rated pin box.

We are also dealing with FED tags and we can’t just put whatever we want on the tag. Engineering drawings, specs, parts lists etc. all make up these things and are another reason we don’t change the GVWR

TALK SOON.
TOM

Bighorn and LM365 don’t use the same frames, there are differences,The biggest difference and most important maybe is the upgraded and much heavier rated pin box.

TALK SOON.
TOM

Tom, you are being quite helpful in my quest to understand just how well I can up-grade a BigHorn before I make a purchase.
is it possible to order a BigHorn with the slightly heavier axles (8k) in order to get the higher capacity brakes?
Also is it possible to order a BigHorn with a TrailAir hitch?
what capacity would it be, and what is the stock hitch rated at (GVWR)?
Thanks

NYSUPstater

Diesel-Gypsy,

You bring up some good points and Tom has given some good answers as well. I was in same boat 2 years ago and wondered/asked the same thing on axle upgrades as it seems that a coach that weighs close to 14,000 empty and max of 16,000 doesn't leave you a whole lotta room for things per se. Ours came thru w/ 7k axles and when I asked about 8k axles, don't think I could get them, and if I could, may be more os a harsher ride for the coach---dunno. I think if want more piece of mind, you'll end up w/ a IS susp from Mor-Ryde to which I feel Tom is alluding to. Can look at it another way. Adding airbags to a 3/4 ton truck won't help your GVW any---just keep you level better. Adding 8k axles won't increase the coach's GVW, but would give you piece of mind given the weight of it.

FWIW, we went to FL last summer (3 adults, 35 lb dog, 10lb cat), fully loaded for a week and based on previous years CAT scale, coach weighed in at 15,980---pretty much maxed out. 5th Airborne hitch. The coach rode beautifully and nothing was out of place at all. In fact, we have a kitchen utensil thingy loaded w/ knives, and such and that never moved! While I still don't agree w/ the 7k axles, IS isn't in the cards for a spell.