Oops - did I melt my black tank with the heating pad?

Flooringit

I emptied the black tank today. And usually I fill it up some but I was doing this before work and didn’t have time to fill it up 25%. I went to work and left the tank heaters on went in the basement about 14gours later man it stunk. No way that little tank heater melted a hole did it? It was over 40 degrees today but gets real cold at night. To be honest. Seems like I smell the tank down there a lot but not as much as I did today. I keep a small heater in there and a fan going to keep it warm in there.

danemayer

A little water in the tank dissipates the heat from the tank heating pad. It is possible to burn a hole in an empty tank - but it may take longer than 1 day. Unfortunately, the only way to know for sure is to remove the heating pad, which destroys it. If you can press on the pad without seeing water come out from the edges, the smell may be from some other cause.

212Pilot

The tank heaters also have a built in thermostat and should not come on if its 40°F. Also on my cyclone the tanks sag in the middle so its never empty and that small amount of liquid would dissipate the heat enough to avoid problems.

danemayer

The tank heaters also have a built in thermostat and should not come on if its 40°F. Also on my cyclone the tanks sag in the middle so its never empty and that small amount of liquid would dissipate the heat enough to avoid problems.

I think Heartland is still using Annod Industries heating pads. The current description, here, speaks to a sensor, but also warns that you can cause damage by running the heater on an empty tank.
[FONT=&quot]Each Tank Heater has a built-in sensor to monitor the fluid contents of the tank once power is supplied, this sensor is designed to power cycle the tank heater ‘on/off’ to maintain fluid contents between approx. 44°F (6.7°C) and 64°F (17.8°C). Turning ‘on’ at approx. 44° and heating up to approx. 64° and shutting ‘off’, allowing contents to cool down and restart the cycle.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]You should note that prior to powering up any UltraHeat system two conditions must be meant, fluid is present in the areas were you have heaters, and ambient temperatures have fallen to freezing or below and will remain. These heaters are designed to be an anti-freezing system and to work in colder temperatures, operation in warmer temperatures could damage your system. “Fluids present” is like placing a pot on the stove, we rely on the fluids to act like a heat sink and draw the heat into itself and away from the surface were heat is applied.[/FONT]

I don't think they've always had the built-in sensor and I'm not sure when it may have been added, or for that matter if it's on the pads Heartland purchases.

Flooringit

I’ve noticed as it gets full it makes it smell in the basement. And in time if it’s not emptied inside will smell also. The tank had no water in it or deodorizer so I’m wonder if that’s it. I’m gonna open it up today see if the smells gone

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The other culprit reported by some has been a loose drain or vent pipe on the top of the tank. The more you fill the tank, the more it separates, letting eau de poop escape.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JohnDar

I wonder how I can get to it to see.
With most floorplans that have the toilet in the front section of the rig, if you remove the rear basement walls, you may be able to see the tank. The panels are just screwed to wood framing. In the center, you may have to "fish" around the fabric at the joint to find them. The photo will give you an idea of what I mean. My black tank is suspended under the floor extension about in the center of the photo. The fittings go through a hole cut in it to reach the top of the tank.

This is an older photo. I've since moved the surge suppressor to a better spot, along with the converter.

Attachments

• IMG_2702 (Large).JPG
    IMG_2702 (Large).JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 39

Flooringit

I have those off and can see some of the tank not sure where the vent will be. I will crawl in there and look better.

JohnDar

In my photo, the vent to the roof and the drain from the toilet are readily visible. The tank drain is to the left and is visible, but not easily accessible on that side. The tank flusher is on the door side end of the tank, but hidden from view.
The ASV for the flush system was hidden in a wall cavity and inaccessible. When it failed, I pulled the lines out to get it and replaced it with a brass Sharkbite check valve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk