Question AboutI Installing a Slide Seal with Heat Activated Adhesive Tape

pegmikef

Question About Installing a Slide Seal with Heat Activated Adhesive Tape

One of the slide seals on the living/kitchen slide on my 2018 Landmark Oshkosh literally just fell off and the bar on which it was mounted (see photos) was damaged and has to be replaced. The reason it fell off is because the main section of the seal was attached to the frame with a single screw. Heartland Service had the replacement parts shipped to me.

The flat seal is attached to the aluminum tubing by heat activated adhesive tape and the D-seal simply slides onto the channels on the flat seal. The bar is then attached to the frame (I will be using more than one screw!). My plan is to predrill the tubing and frame for the screws, attach the flat seal and D-seal, and then attach the tubing to the frame.

I have never worked with this heat activated adhesive tape, so my question is exactly how is the required heat applied (can I just use my paint stripping heat gun?)? Thanks for any guidance.

Attachments

• bend.jpg
    bend.jpg
    921.2 KB · Views: 61
  • channel DSeal Side.jpg
    channel DSeal Side.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 62
  • adhesive strip.jpg
    adhesive strip.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 61

mlpeloquin

I had 3/4 of mine fall off and ride on top of the front tire. I almost did not stop to walk the dogs at a rest stop. I was glad I did. What held the front to the back part was the sweep and D seal. 3/4 of the sweep was warn in the shape of the tire! Turns out the factory put six screws to hold 2.5' and two to hold the rest. One was two inches past the point where the metal sections met and another one foot away from that. The front screw head snapped off and then the back one. That is a long moment arm with a bunch of weight that held up for 38k miles. I used a knife to cut the remainder of the sweep and the D seal so we could continue on. I removed the short rear section and spliced and repaired the sweep with EternaBond roof tape to finish the trip. Now that I have been home and it has stopped raining, I am going through my to do list and will be addressed properly.

For yours, I would heat it up to attached it with a hot air gun and don't get it too hot. Then out weight or use spring clamps until it cools, but do use fasteners as the factory did just to make sure. Do make sure to use enough fasteners spaced properly!

pegmikef

I had 3/4 of mine fall off and ride on top of the front tire. I almost did not stop to walk the dogs at a rest stop. I was glad I did. What held the front to the back part was the sweep and D seal. 3/4 of the sweep was warn in the shape of the tire! Turns out the factory put six screws to hold 2.5' and two to hold the rest. One was two inches past the point where the metal sections met and another one foot away from that. The front screw head snapped off and then the back one. That is a long moment arm with a bunch of weight that held up for 38k miles. I used a knife to cut the remainder of the sweep and the D seal so we could continue on. I removed the short rear section and spliced and repaired the sweep with EternaBond roof tape to finish the trip. Now that I have been home and it has stopped raining, I am going through my to do list and will be addressed properly.

For yours, I would heat it up to attached it with a hot air gun and don't get it too hot. Then out weight or use spring clamps until it cools, but do use fasteners as the factory did just to make sure. Do make sure to use enough fasteners spaced properly!

Yeah, same deal with mine. The short piece is securely mounted, but the long piece only had one screw in it that eventually worked loose (at about 12k miles). I did the same thing, cut the seals in the space between the tubing. I intend to only replace the long damaged section and then splice it. I plan on fasteners every ten to twelve inches. Thanks for the advice.

pegmikef

I have installed the seal on the slide. If you have to do this, before you attach the rubber seal to the aluminum tubing, make sure you predrill the tubing. The procedure I used was to drill six holes in the tubing, then attach the flat rubber seal to the tubing, slide the D-seal on to the flat seal and install the whole thing on the bottom of the slide. Note that I drilled the holes a 32nd of an inch smaller than the screw so I could preinstall the screws in the tubing. This procedure sure made it easy to install it on the slide.

Attachments

• kit.jpg
    kit.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 27
  • kitassembled.jpg
    kitassembled.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 25
  • installedend.jpg
    installedend.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 29
  • installedcenter.jpg
    installedcenter.jpg