New owner of Bighorn 3870FB

roy2

new owner here wondering about a couple of problems I had so far. first time picking up the trailer we had the slides in wanting to bring the levers up pushed the button green light comes on, then pushed the hitch & height up button and the red light come on nothing happen. the guy helping me said I still had my shore power on. I had to disconnect it first. we pulled the plug tried to turn off the levers couldnt he went up to the control panel inside. he did get the levers up and we left. now when I get ready to leave here do I remove the power before I bring up the levers? now another question.we have the Frigidaire icebox now.the first time we can have ice cream in 9 years and its hard wife says its the best in a while and the bathroom downstairs is nice too. anyway, with the Frigidaire, there's a converter there a little panel below the main panel, push the button on and the green light comes on. when we are moving we push that on to supply elect to the ice box from the truck I understand that but when we are stopped and having lunch will it drain my batteries in the truck? another thing when do I turn on and off the green light for the converter.do I plug into show power and turn it off or leave it on while I set the trailer up and then turn it off? thanks for your help roy

pegmikef

Re: new owner of my big horn 3870fb

Regarding the inverter. A lot of folks just leave them on all the time in case of a power failure (happens sometimes in RV parks). Others just use them when towing. Stopping for lunch should be fine considering that your batteries probably are pretty well charged up and that the refrigerator normally isn't running much when it is sitting at the set temperatures. Of course frequently opening the fridge door and hot weather may cause it to run longer.

Last edited:

danemayer

Hi Roy,

Where you say "lever", I'm thinking you're referring to the 6 point levelup system. This should work regardless of whether plugged into shore power or not. In fact, if your batteries are not in tip top condition, it helps to have shore power. I'm not sure I follow your description of what buttons you pushed when it didn't work, so I can't comment on that.

The inverter (changes 12V DC into 120V AC) can be left ON all the time, as Mike said. It pulls power from the trailer batteries, and if you have the truck connected to the trailer, left long enough on battery power, it may drain the truck batteries as well as trailer batteries. However, some trucks only energize the trailer circuit when the truck is running (or on aux). So, for a lunch stop, you should be fine. But if you're boondocking without shore power for a couple of days, you definitely want to disconnect the truck from the trailer to avoid having a problem on the truck.

You can find more information on how the Refrigerator is powered in our owner-written Residential Refrigerator guide.

roy2

Hi Roy,

Where you say "lever", I'm thinking you're referring to the 6 point levelup system. This should work regardless of whether plugged into shore power or not. In fact, if your batteries are not in tip top condition, it helps to have shore power. I'm not sure I follow your description of what buttons you pushed when it didn't work, so I can't comment on that.

The inverter (changes 12V DC into 120V AC) can be left ON all the time, as Mike said. It pulls power from the trailer batteries, and if you have the truck connected to the trailer, left long enough on battery power, it may drain the truck batteries as well as trailer batteries. However, some trucks only energize the trailer circuit when the truck is running (or on aux). So, for a lunch stop, you should be fine. But if you're boondocking without shore power for a couple of days, you definitely want to disconnect the truck from the trailer to avoid having a problem on the truck.

You can find more information on how the Refrigerator is powered in our owner-written Residential Refrigerator guide.
thanks for your answer the leavers i m talking about is the 6 point leveling system i have the levering panel inside my front storage area. its the smaller auto-leveling control panel. this is new to me to I had the other one in my Montana the big one .so now I'm dealing with the smaller control panel. when you turn it on you have to push the up and down arrows at the same time to turn it on then the green light comes on and its on when i pushed the hitch height button red light came on and nothing happens. that's when the guy said i had to disconnect from shore power. sounds strange to me but it a new 5 th wheel to me maybe they changed things never know. anyhow when the red light comes on he went to the battery to turn them off and on again i guess to shut it down and start all over again but it didn't help red light stayed on then he went inside to the control panel. the control panel is the new kind they are comeing with, he went into the levers control he did get them up somehow. don't really think you can really give me an answer to this.im going to have to try closing the slides in and try the system again to see if it works the way it should. i really hope it does i hate to think when I get ready to leave and it scews up on me. thanks for you help roy

Ducky

thanks for your answer the leavers i m talking about is the 6 point leveling system i have the levering panel inside my front storage area. its the smaller auto-leveling control panel. this is new to me to I had the other one in my Montana the big one .so now I'm dealing with the smaller control panel. when you turn it on you have to push the up and down arrows at the same time to turn it on then the green light comes on and its on when i pushed the hitch height button red light came on and nothing happens. that's when the guy said i had to disconnect from shore power. sounds strange to me but it a new 5 th wheel to me maybe they changed things never know. anyhow when the red light comes on he went to the battery to turn them off and on again i guess to shut it down and start all over again but it didn't help red light stayed on then he went inside to the control panel. the control panel is the new kind they are comeing with, he went into the levers control he did get them up somehow. don't really think you can really give me an answer to this.im going to have to try closing the slides in and try the system again to see if it works the way it should. i really hope it does i hate to think when I get ready to leave and it scews up on me. thanks for you help roy

Hey Roy, where are you in AZ. We have a lot of chapter members in various locations in AZ that may be able to assist.

roy2

Hey Roy, where are you in AZ. We have a lot of chapter members in various locations in AZ that may be able to assist.
we are in quartzsite for the winter.I thank you for the offering for an assist. right now ill hold off thank you. I did get a hold of la mesa RV were I bought from they can send someone out to take a look at it. I just hope they can fix it here on my space. thanks again for the offer. roy

roy2

we are in quartzsite for the winter.I thank you for the offering for an assist. right now ill hold off thank you. I did get a hold of la mesa RV were I bought from they can send someone out to take a look at it. I just hope they can fix it here on my space. thanks again for the offer. roy
just an update la mesa RV sent a tec out to look at my levers he messed around with it he did reboot it turned it on and tried to bring the levers up on it red light come on again he called someone. then he went to the control panel by the front door. went into the lever section when he went there was an error on the screen pushed the button on it cleared it and went back to the control panel in the basement pushed the hitch button again levers went up fixed it. i did try it a couple of times before the tec left. works like it suppose to so i hope it's a one-time thing, on my other 5 th wheel i had them they worked good never had a problem with the system. the only problem i had with them they seeped a lot had to change them out a couple of times. just love my levers.thans for your help.

roy2

hello i had my 5th wheel in the repair shop i d like to show pics i have in my email i taken. someone showed me how to do that in one of the post. can you repost it again thank you.

danemayer

hello i had my 5th wheel in the repair shop i d like to show pics i have in my email i taken. someone showed me how to do that in one of the post. can you repost it again thank you.

Here ya go

insert image.jpg

roy2

sorry i tryed it but dont know what im doing. so any way the tec said i had a loose wirer on the solenoid causing low voltage.we will see next monday when we move.ill give you a follow up on that hope he fixed it. i had them look at my awning couldnt find anything wrong with it went in and out like it was supose to do.ill have to see what s going to happen when i cant close it when the wind comes up.will see. thanks all

roy2

sorry i tryed it but dont know what im doing. so any way the tec said i had a loose wirer on the solenoid causing low voltage.we will see next monday when we move.ill give you a follow up on that hope he fixed it. i had them look at my awning couldnt find anything wrong with it went in and out like it was supose to do.ill have to see what s going to happen when i cant close it when the wind comes up.will see. thanks all
i forgot to say when it was in the shop i had them look at the water inlet valve. i tryed filling my water tank couldnt turn it at all the tec said he lub it. ok was looking at it wondering how he lubed it have you done that if you have what spray do you use tec also said turn the valve sometimes so it dont get frozen again. ok now the problem i have now i put water in the tank and tryed the water pump now that dont work.maybe is there a reset button on the pump. thanks for your help.

danemayer

i forgot to say when it was in the shop i had them look at the water inlet valve. i tryed filling my water tank couldnt turn it at all the tec said he lub it. ok was looking at it wondering how he lubed it have you done that if you have what spray do you use tec also said turn the valve sometimes so it dont get frozen again. ok now the problem i have now i put water in the tank and tryed the water pump now that dont work.maybe is there a reset button on the pump. thanks for your help.

Anderson says that particulates in the water will stick to some lubricants and cause excessive wear on the O-rings. They recommend only using Dow Corning Molycote 111 O-Ring Lubricant.

The cartridge must be removed to lube the O-rings. Not difficult to remove. There's a video in this folder.

roy2

Anderson says that particulates in the water will stick to some lubricants and cause excessive wear on the O-rings. They recommend only using Dow Corning Molycote 111 O-Ring Lubricant.

The cartridge must be removed to lube the O-rings. Not difficult to remove. There's a video in this folder.
thanks for the info i tryed turning the valve last night it very hard to turn cut my finger doing it some how. do you have to take the valve out to take it apart.iknow the tec didnt take the valve out because i had a lot of stuff around the wall he had to take it out. to get to the valve. thanks for your help i realy dont like this valve they have on here.

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited by a moderator:

danemayer

The cartridge is easy to remove from the outside of the RV. The entire assembly does not need to be removed. Watch the video referenced earlier to see exactly how it's done.

roy2

will we moved and levers didnt come up again. loose wire i guess thats not the problem.i tryed something new this time.after i hit the hitch button it goes to error i clear it. go back down to the panel i push the auto levering button it moves the levers some when it stops i hit the hitch button again and it works suprize.i just hope i dont scew it up so i cant get them up when i move.not sure what id do then.oh well were good for now. i have 3 more moves before i can take it back into the shop.

LBR

will we moved and levers didnt come up again. loose wire i guess thats not the problem.i tryed something new this time.after i hit the hitch button it goes to error i clear it. go back down to the panel i push the auto levering button it moves the levers some when it stops i hit the hitch button again and it works suprize.i just hope i dont scew it up so i cant get them up when i move.not sure what id do then.oh well were good for now. i have 3 more moves before i can take it back into the shop.
IMO, I think you need some professional help. Call a mobile RV technician, pay the service call, and get him to your trailer to help you understand the workings of it.

You're going to get frustrated with it by trying to understand what members here are attempting to steer you towards. Please call a technician.

roy2

IMO, I think you need some professional help. Call a mobile RV technician, pay the service call, and get him to your trailer to help you understand the workings of it.

You're going to get frustrated with it by trying to understand what members here are attempting to steer you towards. Please call a technician.
im going to try one more time i have to bring it in on the 10 this time i m going to try useing the inside panel to bring the jack up we will see.this time when i pick it up if thy say they fixed it im going to try it first before i leave. and hope its fixed..thanks for your help.

roy2

im going to try one more time i have to bring it in on the 10 this time i m going to try useing the inside panel to bring the jack up we will see.this time when i pick it up if thy say they fixed it im going to try it first before i leave. and hope its fixed..thanks for your help.
ok i had to bring it back into the shop yesterday for some other work so i tryed to bring the levers up from the inside panel this time didnt work the first time.on the panel lower right side on it it has auto lever and next to it hitch height buttons i tryed the hitch height button after i pressed it went to abort mode. then i tryed hitting the lever mode it sounded and moved the jacks some to relevering it guess it did after it stopped i tryed the hitch button again and it worked. suprize the shop tryed it again and it worked just fine.so i had it in the shop twice now.what is happening i think now.its loosing something sitting there. it has to sit for a few days i guess. i havent lost any elect at the time we been sitting here.the tech did call lci they cant figure it out to.this time the tech said when it goes in abort or error mode try turning the batteries off and on he said it resets the system. so next monday we will try it again and see.