No propane hot water heating...

CPDDet

Hot water tank works fine on electric but not on propane. Tries to light 3 times and then goes into DSI Fault.

I can hear the solenoid click and smell gas but no spark at the ignitor / sensor. Removed it, cleaned and reset the gap, same problem. Removed the wire harness from the main board and cleaned the contacts, same results.Replaced the ignitor / sensor (checking the gap again) and same problem.

Then I used a grill lighter to manually light the gas (just to be sure I was getting gas). Fires right up but only burns for about 3 seconds and then the solenoid cuts off the gas.

My guess is the board isn't sending voltage to the ignitor (or it thinks it is but isn't) and when I light it manually the board isn't sensing the flame to keep the gas flowing.

I think it must be the board. Am I missing something?

Dave

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Hot water tank works fine on electric but not on propane. Tries to light 3 times and then goes into DSI Fault.

I can hear the solenoid click and smell gas but no spark at the ignitor / sensor. Removed it, cleaned and reset the gap, same problem. Removed the wire harness from the main board and cleaned the contacts, same results.Replaced the ignitor / sensor (checking the gap again) and same problem.

Then I used a grill lighter to manually light the gas (just to be sure I was getting gas). Fires right up but only burns for about 3 seconds and then the solenoid cuts off the gas.

My guess is the board isn't sending voltage to the ignitor (or it thinks it is but isn't) and when I light it manually the board isn't sensing the flame to keep the gas flowing.

I think it must be the board. Am I missing something?

Dave

Did you clean the contacts on the gas valve, as well? Might not be getting the signal to open properly if the contacts are oxidized. Mine will do this after the gas has been shut off at the tanks for an extended period. Turning on a stove burner for a minute of so clears the air from the lines, enabling the water heater to operate on propane. Water heater circuit board costs about $80 for a new one.

CPDDet

Thanks John, I'll check that as well.
We are here in Florida for another 7 weeks or so and will have full hookups on the way home as well. So as long as the electric option is working it's not an emergency.
But it does give me something to play with. LOL

danemayer

I think I recall that the igniter also has a flame sensor as part of the assembly. After the burner lights, the control board looks for a signal from the flame sensor - if no signal, it shuts off the gas valve.

When you manually lit the burner, the shutdown after 3 seconds sounds like a failure on the flame sensor.

Could be the igniter/flame sensor, or maybe the board.

Based on posts to this forum, I would say it's far more likely to be the board.

CPDDet

Yep, I replaced the igniter / sensor assembly since it's way cheaper than the board. But the problem is still there. So I agree on it most likely being a board issue.

Bogie

I had the same problem with my Suburban water heater. Turned out the circuit board had failed. When I took it out, a transistor was obviously burned. In fact I found a picture on the internet that showed the exact same burned component. (Possibly a manufacturing problem?)

Suburban makes at least two versions of the circuit board. The failed unit was new style. The replacement I bought on Amazon was the old style. Works just fine now.

CPDDet

While mine is an Atwood water heater I'm sure its the board as well. When I pull it Ill be sure to check for burned components / tracks.

CPDDet

I'm embarrassed to say I haven't installed it yet.
Got back from Florida on April 1st and haven't gotten the camper back out since. I wasn't in any hurry because it worked fine on electric.

I have the new board and should get it in next week. Busy this week with the village wide garage sale.

I'll keep you posted but you may have yours fixed before me. LOL

2PawsRiver

We had the exact same thing in our 4270. Mobile maintenance came out and checked it. Said it was the board and that a batch of bad boards had came out and were installed. Put a new board in, all is good.