DC charge from tow vehicle

carl.swoyer

14 to 14.6 on charge pin on truck but nothing going to batteries. What color wire is in pin box for the charge pin to the batteries?. And how many breaker/ fuses are there in that line and there location ? 2012 Landmark Rushmore VIN # 246324

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

mlpeloquin

On my fifth wheel:

Pin Box
1.) Break away SW - Brown & Black Wire
2.) Break away SW - Three Black and One Red Wire
3.) +12V - Black Wire
4.) Left Turn - Red, Brown Wire
5.) Ground - White
6.) Tail Light - White & Green Stripe, Green Wire
7.) Right Turn - Brown, Black & Green Stripe Wire
8.) Brake - Blue wire

So you should find and trace the +12V black wire. Use a multimeter with ground being the white negative wire and find the +12V black. Then trace it back.

danemayer

Carl,

Am I remembering that you've done some modifications to your 12V electrical system? If so, something may have gotten connected in the wrong place.

carl.swoyer

Mlpeloquin,
Thanks for your kind response.
I appreciate your information.

carl.swoyer

Carl,

Am I remembering that you've done some modifications to your 12V electrical system? If so, something may have gotten connected in the wrong place.
Dane,
No 12 volt modifications to my Landmark.
Last spring I moved my magnum ms2812 to the factory battery box along with my 4 deka group 31 batteries. I have a new Silverado with dual alternators and the fifth wheel charge pin has 14 ,14.6 volts. I will start working on it to figure out where the issue is.

danemayer

Last spring I moved my magnum ms2812 to the factory battery box along with my 4 deka group 31 batteries.

Well, adding a Magnum ms2812 and a couple of batteries sounds like you made some changes.

My point is that in the original build, a wire goes from the pinbox to the battery, probably with an auto reset circuit breaker in the path, near the battery. You should start look for that wire. In the course of adding the inverter and extra batteries, maybe it got left disconnect and tucked up somewhere. Or maybe it's connected somewhere where it's not helping you.

carl.swoyer

Well, adding a Magnum ms2812 and a couple of batteries sounds like you made some changes.

My point is that in the original build, a wire goes from the pinbox to the battery, probably with an auto reset circuit breaker in the path, near the battery. You should start look for that wire. In the course of adding the inverter and extra batteries, maybe it got left disconnect and tucked up somewhere. Or maybe it's connected somewhere where it's not helping you.
My 05 Silverado never put out any significant charge.
My new to me 2015 Silverado has dual alternators and 14.6 I'm looking I'll figure it out.

mlpeloquin

While you are at it, check to make sure that one side of the break-away-switch is connected directly to the battery(s). There should be nothing in between breaker or fuse. Otherwise it isn't a properly wired safety break-away-switch. Make sure it has the 12V on one side of the switch and the other to the blue break wire. Just in case you changed the wiring by accident.

danemayer

While you are at it, check to make sure that one side of the break-away-switch is connected directly to the battery(s). There should be nothing in between breaker or fuse. Otherwise it isn't a properly wired safety break-away-switch. Make sure it has the 12V on one side of the switch and the other to the blue break wire. Just in case you changed the wiring by accident.

Marc, I think you'll want an auto reset breaker in between battery and break-away switch. Those switches have been known to short out. Without a breaker, the wire will get extremely hot, and so will anything the wire is touching.

But I wouldn't want a fuse as that could blow, disabling the break-away function.