favorite recipe

wireless

Veteran
I cook quite a lot. Some of the recipes I remember from when I was a kid (had to help mom), others I kinda come up with as I go, and based what's available in my pantry closet.

Here is one of my favorites. The recipe is about 1000 years old and the one below is a variation of it.

Bigos aka Hunter's Stew

1 medium green cabbage
1 liter jar of sauerkraut
1 medium can of tomato paste
1/2 lbs bacon
1 lbs pork
1 lbs Polish kielbasa (not the one made of sawdust by Homedepot and the likes of PathMark or Food Emporium, but the real thing, found only in ethnic stores)
1 large onion
1 clove of fresh garlic
1/4 lb of dried mushrooms (Cow Bolete or Chanterelles)
4 bay leaves
pimento
salt
pepper

Pour boiling water over mushrooms and let them soak in it for 10 to 20 minutes.

Wash cabbage and chop very finely. Boil in a pot with a gal water until cooked and drain. Boil sauerkraut in a separate pot with 2 cups of water until cooked, drain to a clean container and save the sour water.

Wash pork meat and chop in about 1" squares or so. Heat some vegetable oil on a saucepan and fry the meat until cooked.

Cut bacon and kielbasa also in small squares (about 1/3 of the meat chunks size since they won't shrink as much). Peel and finely chop the onion and garlic cloves. Fry bacon, kielbasa, onion and garlic together in a separate pan until golden brown.

Combine in a tall pot all precooked ingredients. Add tomato paste, spices, mushrooms and saved earlier sour water to taste. Some people like it sourer, or some people like it more watery, so feel free to add more fresh or sour water if needed. Mix well and leave to stew for about 1 to 3 hours until meat and cabbage are soft.

The stew can be stored in a fridge for days. As a matter of fact it is best when frozen and reheated.

Best served with fresh bread or potatoes.

123.jpg

Jonaha

I really love mushroom cream soup. Here is the recipe:
Ingredients
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
1/4 cup chopped onion
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
1 cup half-and-half cream
In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium-high heat; saute mushrooms and onion until tender.
Mix flour, salt, pepper and one can broth until smooth; stir into mushroom mixture. Stir in remaining broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat; stir in cream. Simmer, uncovered, until flavors are blended, about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Rowe53

This sounds awesome, I love mushroom soup! My favourite is French Musroom Soup with sherry, shallots, garlic and parmesan. After cooking the soup you need to cool it and then again reheat, it helps soup to be thicker. You can garnish with herbs, cheese and yogurt. Actually I love all kinds of French food. Even though the recipes are very simple, as you use high quality ingredients the food you cook is always high quality. I met with a French cook when I was in France 5 years ago looking for a flat for sale on the French Riviera and he taught me the most important rules in French cuisine. Maybe I can share them here with you one day :)

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Leg’s Inn, Crossville, Mi, has an excellent Bigos dish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kbvols

Leg’s Inn, Crossville, Mi, has an excellent Bigos dish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We were ate leg’s inn last week. First time ever. Great place! Great atmosphere and good food!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cowolter

Sriracha meatballs. They're a weekly staple and I and good godddddd are they ever tasty.

I have the recipe I go off of, but I add/use a few different ingredients. We have an abundance of ground moose and deer meat, so I use that. And sometimes I'll substitute with brown rice, but lately it's been kale and peas with the meatballs.

meal templates

Last edited:
If you are going to the park for a couple of hours with a small group, there is no point in preparing a lot of food. In that case, choosing the main dish and a couple of light snacks you make on the spot is better. Cooked on the fire, tomatoes, potatoes, eggplants, and mushrooms have a completely different taste. You can thread the items on skewers and make a vegetable shish kebab. Or roast them on a grill at https://www.amazon.com/pie-iron-for-campfire-cooking/dp/B088H42W2L. This light and a healthy snack are handy for a short picnic in the park or a hike in the woods. To keep fruit from getting wrinkled on the road, pack it whole, and you can make a cutting plate later. By the way, you can also make small kebabs out of fruit. And if you take a grill, try baking apples or pears in foil.

Last edited: