Lippert chassis modification

Nightshifter

I just finished fabricating and installing the three spring shackle cross braces according to the Lippert technical information bulletin. I’m not sure that they are necessary but I feel a whole lot better with the braces in place. I know how the axels and tires twist during a hard turn on blacktop and while backing in to some spots. Here are a couple of picturures. The one in the rear I had to offset a section down to clear the water tank and insulation. I was afraid of putting to much pressure on my tank heating mats.

.0C271EBF-3D2D-4201-8EA5-036823984432.jpgEAB60719-6CBF-4C61-BBB6-A7D3E07EA78F.jpg3794CE5A-0416-429E-A381-D55D8B6700D8.jpg

Dawnnira

New Jersey Chapter Leaders-Retired
Just recently added three to our Bighorn also
0219a60994adfdca1ae77ae2341088fb.jpg

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using Tapatalk

lynndiwagoner

Looks really good. Now, is this something Lippert recommends? IMO, if this is to correct some failures due to poor engineering and could present a safety hazard, then it should be part of a general recall. Kind of like recalls on vehicles , seeing as how this could affect innocent folks driving down the road and not just property.

danemayer

Looks really good. Now, is this something Lippert recommends? IMO, if this is to correct some failures due to poor engineering and could present a safety hazard, then it should be part of a general recall. Kind of like recalls on vehicles , seeing as how this could affect innocent folks driving down the road and not just property.
Recalls are driven by the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA). Generally, recalls are a result of investigations into actual failures that present safety issues.

If you experience a failure on the suspension, or other components of your trailer that you think result in a safety issue, reporting that failure to NHTSA could lead to a recall.

sengli

By looking at the photos of the install, looks like the coroplast was removed. Do you run yours down the road w/o the coroplast? Also looks like to tied into the inside run of the shackle?

Dawnnira

New Jersey Chapter Leaders-Retired
Failures, engineering bulletins or recalls...no. I look at it differently, peace of mind. Nothing more than that, like many that go rving with loved ones...can this be helpful? My common sense, experience and or stories of others that have had situations happen lend me to decide how when or where to spend a few extra dollars. There are many of us with upgraded brakes, suspension and numerous electrical, solar, hot water and water filtration mods on our rigs. I cant blame anyone for us wanting better just blessed that you and your loved ones go down the road more to your liking. Lots of variables go into everyone's decisions but thats what makes us all different, choices. Thank god I know smarter people than myself. Almost forgot yes, chloroplasts comes off gets tweeked and put back up. I dont think anyone purposely goes without it. Safe travels

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using Tapatalk

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
I have been in contact with MorRyde about their version of braces. I have to wait until the ElkRidge is out of the snow to get some pics for them.

Just a piece of mind upgrade.

danemayer

What Lippert technical information bulletin?

I have almost 500 Lippert Lip Sheets (technical bulletins) that I FTP'd off their website a year or so ago. There's a lot of redundancy, so it's not like there's that many advisories.

But searching the text of all files pulled up about 80 files with the word 'frame' and none of those 80 talked to braces.

Also don't see anything current on the LCI1.com website.

Nightshifter

WDK450
The bulletin the you referenced is exactly the one I went by. I did it because it gave me piece of mind knowing that the spring hangers were braced more solidly. My Landmark is heavy and the hangers take a lot of stress when the rig has to be jacked hard in a turn.

- - - Updated - - -

Sengli
i dropped the Coroplast to gain access for welding. I also disconnected the springs from the shackles so the bushings in the springs wouldn’t melt from the welding heat. Reinstalled the springs and the coroplast. Ready to go.

rdufek

Dexter also has published recommendations to reinforce the axle hangers which I have done to my BH 3750FL after the axle hangers tore off.

Attachments

• IMG_2485.jpg
    IMG_2485.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_2483.jpg
    IMG_2483.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_2480.jpg
    IMG_2480.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_2459 (1).jpg
    IMG_2459 (1).jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:

wdk450

I have been in contact with MorRyde about their version of braces. I have to wait until the ElkRidge is out of the snow to get some pics for them.

Just a piece of mind upgrade.

Mr. Walker:
Although MorRyde is a highly respected RV aftermarket supplier, I wonder if their X Factor crossbeam solution is truly rigid enough for the side forces involved. The MorRyde product is a TELESCOPING cross beam brace that is secured to length with bolts/nuts/washers in SLOTTED bolt holes in the steel tubing. See: https://www.rvupgradestore.com/v/vspfiles/assets/pdf/UO21-003-Instructions.pdf page 2, step 6. I prefer the SOLID steel tubing welded in place as prescribed by Lippert. In fact, when installing the MorRyde Independent Suspension solution (the BEST 5th wheel suspension solution, in my opinion), MorRyde welds in SOLID steel tubing between the I beams to make a rigid steel box to mount their Independent Suspension wheel assemblies.

I had an independent craftsman welder (former trucker) in Cloverdale, California weld in my tubing crossbeams as part of a MAJOR repair to my twisted I beams system. What he said is that this problem is pretty much common to all large 5th wheels, and he had just completed the same repair on a Cameo 5th wheel a few weeks before repairing my Bighorn.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
The X Factor Crossmember is a great product. It is very sturdy. It attaches to the Spring Hangers using the Wetbolts mainly. Which in essence is attached to both side of the Spring Hanger. It does 2 things, it strengthens the weakest part of your suspension, while also strengthening the Spring Hangers, preventing, stress fracturing of the Spring Hangers. Which prevents settling on the side of the road, waiting for a repair. Performance Trailer Braking installs these, and will do the installation at the National Rally. Each Crossmember, for trailers without Correct Track, run $300 each installed. They really are not hard to do yourself, and save $100 on installation. We will have them on hand, contact us to pre-order!

WRIGHT ll

retired Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
I added the braces to our Bighorn because there was some discussion about spring shackles failure on the forum. There is that Lippert bulletin that tells what and how to do the mod. Mainly I just don’t want the hassle of a breakdown while on the road so I try things to maybe prevent them. At the same time I replaced the old spring with a six leaf .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk