Going to look at a 2012 BC 3650RL tomorrow. Newbie to Heartlands.

Evindcarr

Going to check one out tomorrow that is a private party sale. Any advice on what to look for with Big Country's and, specifically, the 3650RL? We full time in a 40ft Monaco DP currently and looking to make the switch. Hear good things about HL and have a buddy with an 09 LM, so liking the brand reputation so far but looking for first hand advice from owners or previous owners. TIA

danemayer

Hi Evindcarr,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. We've got a lot of Big Country owners who are active on the forum, so I'm sure you'll get some feedback shortly.

Let me suggest you check the date code on the tires. If over 3 or 4 years old, plan on getting new tires. If they are Towmax tires, plan on getting new tires before towing.

Evindcarr

Hi Evindcarr,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. We've got a lot of Big Country owners who are active on the forum, so I'm sure you'll get some feedback shortly.

Let me suggest you check the date code on the tires. If over 3 or 4 years old, plan on getting new tires. If they are Towmax tires, plan on getting new tires before towing.

Thanks danemayer! The tires have been replaced but will definitely check the date codes. I'm all about good tires on my vehicles. New Michelins on our Jeep toad and less than 2 year old Toyos on our Monaco :)

rhodies1

Also,check All the caulking on the unit,you need to ensure current owner kept up with the maintenance.Climb up on the roof and look for missing caulking on seams,vents etc and No tears in the roofing material. Check caulking around windows as well,
I would also ask the owners if they have any maintenance records for repairs done on the unit like brakes,wheel bearings, axle bushings ,spring hangers etc.. these types of items will give you a feel got how it was maintained..
Good luck.

Garypowell

Not sure if the factory will cooperate but call them with the VIN code and ask them if they have any history on the rig.

Maybe the unit had frame flex that they fixed....not that this should stop you...but just good to know.

I had frame flex flex and it was totally fixed with no long lasting repercussions.

NP_Chief

I bought a used Torque less than 2 weeks ago and used a PDI form created by one of the members. You can find it on their website rvwiththetanners.com. It takes a few hours to complete but well worth the time.

Evindcarr

Not sure if the factory will cooperate but call them with the VIN code and ask them if they have any history on the rig.

Maybe the unit had frame flex that they fixed....not that this should stop you...but just good to know.

I had frame flex flex and it was totally fixed with no long lasting repercussions.

Hey Gary,

what is the frame flex issue? Is it common on these? How do you tell?

cheers,
Evin

- - - Updated - - -

I bought a used Torque less than 2 weeks ago and used a PDI form created by one of the members. You can find it on their website rvwiththetanners.com. It takes a few hours to complete but well worth the time.

Thanks NP_Chief. Checking that out now. Today I’m just going to look at it to get a general idea. If it looks decent upon first glance, will go back with my gf and have her check it out and do an inspection. I looked for a level 2 NRVIA inspector but there are no qualified ones I found within 100 miles so I guess it’s up to me.

-Evin

Garypowell

Evindcar,

sorry did not mean to worry you, just used frame flex as an example. It is not a prevalent problem and probably occurs across all brands.

The root is a frame weld breaks or the self taping screws used to hold the sides to the frame break.

If you want to learn more you can search on the term.