Considering Bighorn - Worried about issues I've read about

We have a 2018 Keystone Cougar 279RKSWE.' Half -Ton Towable'. We want to trade in for
a 2018 Bighorn 3160 or3010, as we want to stay on the shorter side. We are not happy with our Cougar.

When I look at the Bighorn Forums, I find, disapointingly, the same kinds of problems and complaints I've found on the Keystone Cougar forums !
I have been told by severeal RV owners, that' what we want / need, is a Bighorn, as the quality / construction and liveability, are way higher than Keystone's Cougar.

Can anyone give us a perspective and or experience on the truth ! Is there a much bigger diference in a Half ton Towable 2018 Cougar 5er, and a 35 foot 2018 Bighorn. What about Keystone vs. Heartland ?,
The cost diference is about twice as much ! I have come to realize the diference between 'live-ins', and' weekender rv's, and the lightweightness in half-ton towable's...(should have figured that out b-4 purchasing)....

I do see where Thor owns both manufacturers, but we're looking for long-term quality in the construction without so many rinky-dink fails, that should not exist in a NEW product.

mlpeloquin

We have a 2018 Keystone Cougar 279RKSWE.' Half -Ton Towable'. We want to trade in for
a 2018 Bighorn 3160 or3010, as we want to stay on the shorter side. We are not happy with our Cougar.

When I look at the Bighorn Forums, I find, disapointingly, the same kinds of problems and complaints I've found on the Keystone Cougar forums !
I have been told by severeal RV owners, that' what we want / need, is a Bighorn, as the quality / construction and liveability, are way higher than Keystone's Cougar.

Can anyone give us a perspective and or experience on the truth ! Is there a much bigger diference in a Half ton Towable 2018 Cougar 5er, and a 35 foot 2018 Bighorn. What about Keystone vs. Heartland ?,
The cost diference is about twice as much ! I have come to realize the diference between 'live-ins', and' weekender rv's, and the lightweightness in half-ton towable's...(should have figured that out b-4 purchasing)....

I do see where Thor owns both manufacturers, but we're looking for long-term quality in the construction without so many rinky-dink fails, that should not exist in a NEW product.

I do not know about Keystone, but our 3510RE has has a few odds and ends. Most of them I took care of myself and as I look back it was annoying, but most were an easy fix. One was major that occurred after warranty. Heartland stepped up and covered 50%. I did not ask for coverage, but was wanting it fixed correctly. They offered the payment and was quite happy. If you want to do your own repairs, under warranty, they will send you the parts directly. This eliminates the time the fifth wheel is in for repair. With prior approval, they will pay for a mobile repair so long as you pay the service call portion. From what I have heard, not common to have the manufacture support the owners the way Heartland does. Heartland works hard to improve quality and has a separate building to inspect a sample off the production line. Things that are found are reported back to help improve the production. That being said, they are relying on everyone in production to do a perfect job. Many have complained about parts, microwave, TV, fridge, etc., which ate not produced by Heartland and carry the manufactures warranty on them. So, would I purchase another Heartland, yes. From what we have seen at the trade shows, definitely yes.

Kathi-27

there are always going to be something that needs fixed which is part of rving. that being said. had 2017 bighorn traded up to landmark. other wise would still have our bighorn loved it. going full time wife wanted the landmark. just got back from the tampa fl rv show and looked at alot of 5th wheels. we felt like the bighorn had better quality compaired to other manufactures of the same level. good luck on what ever you choose.

CDN

B and B
Been there with lower end Forest River. Bought a Bighorn 2 years ago and have had 2 small issues, fender skirts cracked, replaced under warranty. Water pump had a leak, dealer gave me a new one. I had a slide adjustment took 15 minutes.

Compared to FR failing first trip out we have had no issues.

We just traded and Bought a Landmark at 2 ft less . Happy with Heartland! Have a good look you can buy a Landmark Louisville for discount right now, discontinued. We have Version 2 with no dinnte and no booth either. We eat outside all summer so table chairs are not needed.

What size truck do you have?

Brian

kowAlski631

Just think about the number of people posting vs the number of units actually on the road. We've had our 2013 since 10/2012 and despite some repairs we've had to make, we'd buy it again.

TahoeCamper

Founding Nevada-North Chapter Leader-Retired
We purchased a 3010re Bighorn new. We've had a few issues that were taken care of by Heartland. A few other items that we took care of as an owner. I consider some of the roads we travel and chock it to being a responsible owner. We've attended many Heartland rallies and everyone has had issues during ownership. But most all remain loyal to the brand, and if you look at the posters on the forum you'll note quite a few have owned numerous Heartland rigs thru the years as we upgrade.
Do your research on brands, explore this forum and ALWAYS PERFORM A VERY THOROUGH PDI.

WBG

WBGavin
We had an Elkridge (Heartland product) for three years then upgraded to a Bighorn (3570 RS) and have had it for 6 years and counting. We plan to stay with this unit until we retire from camping, something we hope will be long time in the future. While we have had a few minor issues, most of them I have been able to handle on my own, and I am no wiz at repairs. Heartland took care of the few warranty issues very quickly and with no hassle. Our very positive experience is in marked contrast to my many friends that have SOB (some other brand). Their collective tale of woe is truly sad. Good luck with your decision and by all means take the time to have a really thorough PDI. We camped out near the dealer for the first few days, just so we had easy access to them should we have trouble working out any gremlins, of which there were few.

CoveredWagon

W have a 2018 3270RE boughtit new. There were a few nickle and dime issues that were fixed before we left the dealer. Fortunately for us the dealer was a large one, and had camping spots where we could live in the unit until we were ready to accept it. Can I say Lakeshore Rv in Muskegon MI.

Last edited:

NYSUPstater

Had a Cedar Creek before and was seriously considering another one. Went to Hershey show and was really not impressed w/ CC and their floorplans. Didn't want anything to do w/ Montana, but will give credit to them for they always seem to bring something new/different each year (even tho they do have a good following). At that time, not a lot of tree top hollering for Grand Design units. Walked into the HL area cuz the DW wanted to see if they had any 1/2 bath units. They did and we liked how "roomy" it was compared to the CC unit's. My 1st impression was "This is out of our league" as it appeared to me to be a high end unit (Big Horn) over the Creek. We left the show, pretty much undecided still, which was okay as that years camping season was nearing it's end. Month later at last hoorah camping trip, it was raining so we went on a road trip to local RV dealer just for something to do. Didn't know they were having some kind of Open House. Got there and asked what units had rear living rooms and given brochures and off we went.

Dealer handled BH & BC and as we went into each unit w/o a salesman in tow, nothing really struck us. THEN we went into the BC 3560SS and as we went thru it, DW shouts out, "This is it!". Now we really start to look at things closer. Jotted down price and left and finished out the season. 4 months later, we now start to pursue things w/ the BC. Ordered it in March, picked up near mid/late May. Okay, picked up on a Sat, drove it home (500 miles), cleaned and loaded it up and off to 1st trip the following Wed. This was spring 2017.

So what issues did we have? 2017: 1. Wheel bearings on a couple wheels were bad from Dexter. Dexter re-imbursed us for entire costs incurred. [FONT=Libre Franklin, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Found during NYS inspection. 2. Outside trim separating from main hallway slide wall (can't recall off hand if slide was in or out). Heartland had local dealer do a temp fix and a more permanent one at their sister shop an hour away as we were going away on vaykay within a week. Problem fixed. 3. Water seeping into basement. Advice thru this forum, added silicone to screws for door frame on basement doors. Problem solved. 4. Not a problem, but found out we cannot run both fireplaces at same time like we can with the A/C's. 2018: 1. RR brake went south while enroute to FL during the summer. Took brake apart/removed all components/cut wires to it and carried on rest of way/ summer. Initially called HL who said to call Dexter. Told Dexter what happened and what I did, sent pics. They in turn sent, pads, drum, bearings, seals--free of charge. All to be put on during this years inspection. Problem solved.

Our son being Mr Tech savvy did a little re-wiring of main tv and stereo. Not of his doing this tho, but for some odd reason at times the LR tv picture is a bit fuzzy while the BR tv is crystal clear. Can live with it. Have to adjust the roller shades on a couple---no biggy. So, overall, we've been VERY pleased and happy with this coach and it is a bit of a twist from my thinking it was out of our league just few months before. Like AP said, this may be our last coach, but not retiring for several more years. Not all are perfect, that's why a GOOD PDI needs to be done before signing remaining paperwork. Two things I never took into account. 1. The heavier the unit usually translates into a better built one and rides better. 2. Despite having a '15 F350 SRW, CC, 4x4, SB to which I knew I was over weight w/ this coach and did a good job for the 1st year we had the BC, it really requires a dually which we ended up doing last spring.

When we bought our Creek in '05, it was based on quality of unit and Creek's customer service to which now has suffered both in reading and what I've seen. Bought the BC in pretty much the same way and have nothing but good to say about HL's customer service to which some have said it's not what it used to be, but above that of other RV mfr's. Grand Design seems to be getting a lot of nods as of late--but don't think they are in same ballpark as LM, BH, BC, but we are very content with our coach despite not putting a whole lotta miles on it like others may. If we were looking, HL would be at top of my list (LM, BH, BC). Just do a through PDI[/FONT]

mlpeloquin

Our son being Mr Tech savvy did a little re-wiring of main tv and stereo. Not of his doing this tho, but for some odd reason at times the LR tv picture is a bit fuzzy while the BR tv is crystal clear. Can live with it. PDI

It may be caused by a loose RF connector. First was the living room TV with a week signal from the amplifier and we had a problem with the bedroom TV with the park cable. The living room was a loose connector behind the wall plate. For the bedroom, I changed the splitters and put new RF connectors on the cables. I use Direct TV connectors. Same problem. I added a cable RF amplifier and all is well with park cable. We don"t opt for the park cable unless I am tired or the wife's baseball game is on (MLB network is her birthday gift). I put up a home Direct TV dish otherwise. If we need local news, we put the antenna up. So check out your RF connectors to make sure that they are tight. You will have the check the ones behind the amplifier in the bedroom, the connections behind the wall plates, as well as the ones in the splitters, and the feed through connectors behind the UDC. Most likely not behind the UDC, but while you are at it you might as well check all connections.

NYSUPstater

It may be caused by a loose RF connector. First was the living room TV with a week signal from the amplifier and we had a problem with the bedroom TV with the park cable. The living room was a loose connector behind the wall plate. For the bedroom, I changed the splitters and put new RF connectors on the cables. I use Direct TV connectors. Same problem. I added a cable RF amplifier and all is well with park cable. We don"t opt for the park cable unless I am tired or the wife's baseball game is on (MLB network is her birthday gift). I put up a home Direct TV dish otherwise. If we need local news, we put the antenna up. So check out your RF connectors to make sure that they are tight. You will have the check the ones behind the amplifier in the bedroom, the connections behind the wall plates, as well as the ones in the splitters, and the feed through connectors behind the UDC. Most likely not behind the UDC, but while you are at it you might as well check all connections.

Thanks for the tip. Unable to do so until late April/early May.

aatauses

We have been full timing in our 2010 BH for the past 10 years---yes, we have had a few issues, but the customer service at HL is super. I have heard from other owners of other mfg and never did I hear that the customer service was any where near as good as HL---buy the BH you will not be disappointed!!!
al

Piperflyer

We have been full timing in our 2010 BH for the past 10 years---yes, we have had a few issues, but the customer service at HL is super. I have heard from other owners of other mfg and never did I hear that the customer service was any where near as good as HL---buy the BH you will not be disappointed!!!
al

I have to disagree about there customer service.

chiefaret

Well good luck with the Bighorn. I bought a 2018 the end of 2017, and the quality was not good. Thought most things were fixed after the shake down run, but you have to make sure everything is fixed within the year. The interior of the entry door suddenly filled with cracks. Because it was 18 months they told me to go pound sand, and get hold of lippert. Did so, and got the same answer, but if I wanted to buy a new door it would be 20% off. Anyway, good luck if you buy a Heartland.