Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Garage a/c heat strip?

1. Print this Post   #11

Re: Garage a/c heat strip?

Quote Originally Posted by cookie View Post
    It sounds like you have power if you are trying to run a heat strip.
    My suggestion is to get one out two 1500 watt electric space heaters.
    We have Pelonis brand, they work well and are quite small.

Peace
    Dave
    I appreciate the suggestion. I mentioned that we used a space heater, but I was saying that I can only use them when we are hooked up to power. How do I keep my boys warm in the winter when dry camping (boondocking)? It's a toy hauler and should be designed for the dry camping option. There are limited places to take your "toys" with power hookups. We can't run our generator all night just to power a space heater. There has to be another solution

(soap box) We cannot go camping this weekend to our go-to off-roading spot because it will be too cold for our kids. We just sold our small 30 ft TT toy hauler to get this 43 foot beast...that can't be used for what it's made for and that is to haul our toys to toy riding places (usually deserts and wide open range locations without hookups)

2. Print this Post   #12

Quote Originally Posted by WBandSB View Post
    I appreciate the suggestion. I mentioned that we used a space heater, but I was saying that I can only use them when we are hooked up to power. How do I keep my boys warm in the winter when dry camping (boondocking)? It's a toy hauler and should be designed for the dry camping option. There are limited places to take your "toys" with power hookups. We can't run our generator all night just to power a space heater. There has to be another solution

(soap box) We cannot go camping this weekend to our go-to off-roading spot because it will be too cold for our kids. We just sold our small 30 ft TT toy hauler to get this 43 foot beast...that can't be used for what it's made for and that is to haul our toys to toy riding places (usually deserts and wide open range locations without hookups)
    Well, a couple of things to note.

While I don't know if you have heat strips on the A/C unit, even if you do, they require shore power or a generator.

Secondly, the furnace uses quite a bit of battery power, so unless you have a lot of batteries, or plan on recharging them daily, using the furnace while boondocking for more than a short trip is problematic. Your old 30' trailer may have had a smaller furnace that used less battery power to heat a smaller area. You'll have to figure out how to manage power consumption.

On long trailers, the ducting from the furnace (closer to the front) to the garage is a pretty long run. The hot air cools off quite a bit on the way to the register. You may be able to get some improvement by wrapping insulation around the duct. You should also check airflow in the garage register. If it's not pushing much air, you'll need to make sure the duct isn't pinched somewhere in the underbelly.

You may be able to divert some of the air in the bedroom or bathroom by partially blocking the floor registers. But if you try this, you need to understand that the furnace manufacturer recommends against doing anything like this. If you restrict air flow, it can cause the furnace to overheat, triggering the hi-limit switch. While it will reset itself, repeated activation could eventually cause the switch to fail.

There are heaters intended for indoor use that run off propane, like this one. I'd recommend locating the product manual to see exactly what safety warnings the manufacturer has that may not have made it to the Amazon listing.

Dan and Ann Mayer & fur baby Callie the Rally Dog
    2011 Landmark Rushmore
    • MorRyde 8K Independent Suspension
    • 8K Kodiak Disc Brakes
    • Goodyear G114 17.5" tires
    • RV Comfort Systems Cheap Heat
    • MorRyde 33x90 Sliding Cargo Tray
    • Torklift Glowstep Revolution Aluminum Steps & Dirt Destroyer

2014 RAM 3500 Laramie
    • Cummins 6.7 Diesel, AISIN Transmission
    • 4x4, Long box, Crew Cab, DRW 3.73
    • Sailun Terramax A/T 4S, 235/80R -17. 5 Tires
    • Hensley BD3 TrailerSaver Hitch
    • Garmin RV760 GPS

Is club membership right for you? Click here to learn more

Check out our Owner-written User Guides and Troubleshooting Guides

3. Print this Post   #13

We have a 17.5 long' garage in our CY that we spend 90% of our awakened indoor time in. Here's 2 of our cats loving the Wave 8 Cat I installed hanging on the wall.... it's more than enough heater for our ~1,120 cubic' garage in cold weather.

Before you reply.....**YES**... it is safe for indoor use if you use common sense with proper venting for overnight sleeping quarters.

4. Print this Post   #14

I have a 2018 Cyclone 4151 and use the garage for my hunting buddies when its as low as the teens. We are boon docking as well. My wife made insulated window blankets with snaps for the back windows, helped a lot. I put down carpet with padding, removable, and that helped a lot as well. I lined the tool box with 2 inch hard foam and also put some 1 inch foam under the floor where i could get it.

The heat vent is useless as stated before. I use a wave 6 heater in the garage and love it. I run a long rubber gas hose from the quick connect underneath and up through a hole i drilled in the garage floor. Put a piece of conduit up through the floor so the hose is protected etc and easy to push pull through the floor. I crack the upper and lower fuel vapor vents in the garage and no deaths yet.

The wave heaters are awesome. I want to rig one for the main camper as well.

I do agree that manufacturers should do something with this issue though, second furnace or something.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2