Reason to have a water filter!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Quick connect fittings now that's a pretty good idea! I never thought of those, that would make hooking up much easier. What kind would you recommend getting?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I get them from RV Water Filter Store. Better made than what’s on most store shelves. The plugs and covers are good to keep gunk and bugs out when not in use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GK2018

That's awesome, I'm definitely going to look into getting some of those. I didn't know RV water filter store sold them. I didnt think of tractor supply either but now that you mentioned that I remember buying some for a spray rig several years ago from there.

JohnDar

That's awesome, I'm definitely going to look into getting some of those. I didn't know RV water filter store sold them. I didnt think of tractor supply either but now that you mentioned that I remember buying some for a spray rig several years ago from there.

Anything’s better than trying to manipulate standard screw on fittings inside the UDC. Once the male connect is in place, it stays there. I even have one on my air line adapter for blowing out the plumbing.

GK2018

I wish we had a UDC but I think they reserve those for the 5th wheels. I've thought about making my own UDC this summer when it warms up and locating everything in the outdoor kitchen since we dont really use it all that much.

jbeletti

I wish we had a UDC but I think they reserve those for the 5th wheels. I've thought about making my own UDC this summer when it warms up and locating everything in the outdoor kitchen since we dont really use it all that much.

After 14 years of 5th wheeling, soon we will be back in a travel trailer. I'm going to use the bin-method where my 3-canister filter and hoses will be stored and the filter system will be permanently installed. I'll toss it in the back of the truck or in the shower for travel. That's the plan anyway :)

GK2018

The UDC does look pretty convenient and so does a couple other things they put on 5th wheels and leave out on travel trailers but I havent found a 5th wheel yet that has caught my eye good enough that I'm willing to lose the bed space in the back of my truck. That's really the only reason we went travel trailer over 5th wheel. Ya'll definitely gave me some good ideas on the water topic though, I appreciate all the info!

Alan_B

Quick connect fittings now that's a pretty good idea! I never thought of those, that would make hooking up much easier. What kind would you recommend getting?

For those that use quick connect fittings: do you notice any reduction in water pressure or flow volume?

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
For those that use quick connect fittings: do you notice any reduction in water pressure or flow volume?

Nothing noticeable if any
As it is all of our in house fixtures, I’ve changed 2 of 3, are low volume anyway
We like to dry camp so low volume for water conservation is important
Keep in mind the rig is all 1/2” pex with insert fittings of ~3/8” ID diameter.

BTW-while rooting through my tool box this morning I measured the openings in my spare “will leak eventually Kantleak valve core”. The openings are exactly 3/8”. Just saying

Last edited:

GK2018

So this is the new 5 micron filter I had just put in 7 days ago when I first posted how dirty the other one was. I can't believe all the sediment it's catching in our current location in just 7 days! I also noticed by playing around with the various filters I get pressure flow rating between .38 GPM and .47 GPM using the carbon filter with or without a combination of a 1 micron sediment filter, 5 micron sediment filter and or metal trap filter but when I remove the carbon filter and use any combination of a 5 micron, 1 micron and metal filter my flow rate increases to 1.33 GPM to 1.45 GPM which is a drastic increase/decrease. I currently removed the carbon filter and am running a 5 micron filter, 1 micron filter and then a metal trap filter. I'm going to wind up getting either a single or dual canister system for under the kitchen sink to put the carbon filter and or metal trap filter in.
0e9f40ac4f205a0e460770e3f5d9ca1b.jpg
d399b0fd49b7b92d8b17a86d3f2c84b0.jpg

JohnDar

If you ever pull out one of those plastic PEX fittings, you’ll find the actual orifice is considerably less than 3/8”. More like 3/16”. Brass replacements have larger openings.

Mark-Roberta 051995

I know this is an older post but wanted to share it here vs. starting a new thread. I am not 100% completed on this project but after seeing the inside of my hot water tank on our 365 Charleston this year along with the anode rod I knew I had to do something for the upcoming season.
We have had smelly water and the fridge filter did not last 6 months - and we are not full timers. We stayed in our camper 81 days this past summer. This year we project 86 days.

We have a new anode rod for the hot water heater, new in line filter that is standard in the belly box coming out of the UDC and a new fridge filter. As we hook up this new filtration system I am putting in an in line water meter to monitor the amount of water we use. I started using that this past summer and it makes as a great tool to monitor when I am flushing the black tank. This way I know I have sufficient water in the tank during the flush and not overflowing it - like I have seen from other folks.

This will force me to log all of this into a book but will tell a story on when I need to change the filters and determine if the filters do indeed do their job. This will be based on the fridege filter, filter after the UDC and the hot water heater anode. 5 Micron - 1 micron and then a carbon filter.

water filter system 1.jpgwater filter system.jpg

GK2018

Hey, we never ran into the smelly water issue but that's probably because we are always cycling through the water on a daily basis but we washed out our water heater too and the amount of sediment was unbelievable! I put a flow meter on ours also to calculate our average water usage as well I used a digital one and so far has worked really well, I just had to calibrate it for accuracy. I also put a manual and electronic water shut off in line so I could change out the filters without having to turn off the water at the hydrant, the manual shut off is because I don't always trust electronic parts haha. Last but not least I also put a mechanical water pressure regulator on it to adjust the incoming flow so we don't bust our lines with too much pressure. Definitely keep us posted on the final product it would neat to see your setup!

I know this is an older post but wanted to share it here vs. starting a new thread. I am not 100% completed on this project but after seeing the inside of my hot water tank on our 365 Charleston this year along with the anode rod I knew I had to do something for the upcoming season.
We have had smelly water and the fridge filter did not last 6 months - and we are not full timers. We stayed in our camper 81 days this past summer. This year we project 86 days.

We have a new anode rod for the hot water heater, new in line filter that is standard in the belly box coming out of the UDC and a new fridge filter. As we hook up this new filtration system I am putting in an in line water meter to monitor the amount of water we use. I started using that this past summer and it makes as a great tool to monitor when I am flushing the black tank. This way I know I have sufficient water in the tank during the flush and not overflowing it - like I have seen from other folks.

This will force me to log all of this into a book but will tell a story on when I need to change the filters and determine if the filters do indeed do their job. This will be based on the fridege filter, filter after the UDC and the hot water heater anode. 5 Micron - 1 micron and then a carbon filter.

View attachment 63531View attachment 63532

david-steph2018

View attachment 63531View attachment 63532

Nice, I like the stand you made.

JohnDar

Where will you put that filter system while in use? If it will be outside, I’d recommend putting it in a large tote with a lid to protect it and under a slide for shade.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Are you parked somewhere permanently? That’s a lot of extra stuff to tote.
I run with a single 5 micron T&O filter and water softener. The water softener is recent because of our winter stays in Texas and the SW.

Mark-Roberta 051995

It will be outside on a semi-permanent site at our local campground. I have a tote ready to go (need to modify it) and can sit under the camper. I have an idea on how to keep it secure (theft) but won't know until I get set up in the spring.

Where will you put that filter system while in use? If it will be outside, I’d recommend putting it in a large tote with a lid to protect it and under a slide for shade.

- - - Updated - - -

We are for the most part permanent at a local place but do some travels during the year. The PVC breaks down easily in a few pieces and will fit in my belly box. Remember that since we are not full time - we do not need all of the gear as others need when full timing. Once I get this set up in the spring I will take additional photos of the setup and storage.

Are you parked somewhere permanently? That’s a lot of extra stuff to tote.
I run with a single 5 micron T&O filter and water softener. The water softener is recent because of our winter stays in Texas and the SW.

JohnDar

Fortunately? In the 11 summers my water filtration tote has sat under the rig, nobody has bothered it while we were gone.
I depressurize the system when we leave for extended periods after shutting off the valve at the pedestal. In the unlikely event someone turned it on, there is a valve in the box and another inside the UDC.