2018 Ram 3500 rw sb Which hitch for Elkridge 31RLK

edf1951

I am looking for information on which hitch to purchase. I want something that is as light as possible. The Anderson hitch is out because Lippert will not honor the warranty. Do anyone have my truck without a slider. I like the option of a Reese Goose Box, but don't know if it will work. Another option I have been looking at is a Demco Recon and Reese sidewinder. Any help would be appreciated. I can google it my trying to weed through advertisement is hard and not much information. Thanks, hope I posted in the right place.

Bones

I am looking for information on which hitch to purchase. I want something that is as light as possible. The Anderson hitch is out because Lippert will not honor the warranty. Do anyone have my truck without a slider. I like the option of a Reese Goose Box, but don't know if it will work. Another option I have been looking at is a Demco Recon and Reese sidewinder. Any help would be appreciated. I can google it my trying to weed through advertisement is hard and not much information. Thanks, hope I posted in the right place.

Where did you hear the Andersen hitch is voiding warranty?

edf1951

Where did you hear the Andersen hitch is voiding the warranty?
I called Lippert. They told me if you put an adapter on the kingpin and something happened to the frame they would not honor the warranty.

- - - Updated - - -

Howdy!

I installed the Reese Goose Box on my 5er and really like it. I researched a lot about it before install mine. I also use a 4” Reese offset gooseneck ball. Below is a link to a post on IRV.NET regarding the Reese Goose Box including some that have short bed trucks.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f44/any-last-warnings-before-i-buy-reese-goose-box-371605.html

”Happy Trails”
Chiefneon
Thanks, I have been reading and That has the best information about the goose box that I have read. There is one gentleman that has a close my setup. I am trying to get more information from him thanks again.

Bones

I called Lippert. They told me if you put an adapter on the kingpin and something happened to the frame they would not honor the warranty.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, I have been reading and That has the best information about the goose box that I have read. There is one gentleman that has a close my setup. I am trying to get more information from him thanks again.

Lippert has trouble covering your frame even if you didn't put something on the kingpin. LOL..... By the way head over to ANDERSEN's website and read up on the info they provided about the hitch I think you would be pleasantly surprised as the hitch offers many benefits and their warranty claim. The hitch adapter is in the same plane as the Kingpin where a lot of other adapters put leverage forces on the kingpin and pin box.

Also check out this section in the owners group. Andersen

If you don't like any of the above your next step would be to get a Fifth wheel hitch that slides and rotates rearward. You could look at the Reese Sidewinder Pin Boxes which modifies the Pin Box pivot location rearward.

Hopefully some of this information helps you out.

danemayer

Lippert sold me their Lippert-designed 1-1/4" receiver hitch that mounts on their Lippert frame, using brackets from Lippert. When I spoke with them, they told me that installing it would void their frame warranty. When I asked why usage of their parts, on their parts, would void their warranty, the answer was that they didn't know how I would use it.

So obviously, Lippert feels very free to say that anything will void their warranty.

With typical goosenecks, as you would see on a ranch, the gooseneck has a long extension that puts a lot of stress on the trailer frame. And on gooseneck trailers, you'll also note matching reinforcement of the trailer frame to deal with that stress.

On fifth wheels, the standard pin has a very short extension that puts much less stress on the trailer frame. The frame design does not include the same level of reinforcement found on a gooseneck frame.

So when you put a gooseneck on a fifth wheel, you're introducing more stress than the frame is designed to handle. The Goosebox, used in conjunction with a gooseneck, is designed to deal with the excess stress so it isn't transferred to the frame.

My understanding of the Andersen hitch is that while in some respects it is like a gooseneck, it has a shorter extension and is believed to present a lower risk to the trailer frame.

That all said, the Andersen hitch is pretty popular, and I don't think we're seeing reports of frame issues. And while you should check with Andersen, I seem to recall they have some type of high-dollar guarantee that would deal with damage caused by their hitch.