Suggestions for leaking seam repairs

BobTheBuilder

My 2011 Bighorn that was destroyed a few weeks ago had no cracking of caulking on end caps, around skylights, etc. Our replacement 2012 has several leaks from rain and almost all of the caulking has failed. The newer unit came from AZ so perhaps the intense summer heat was harder or maybe Heartland changed caulks and what was used in 2012 did not hold up as well.

In any event, I am pretty confident they can be repaired OK but I have thought of several methods and wanted to see what others opinions were.

1) Scrub the existing caulk clean and use a good sealant such as 3Ms 5200 or Lexel and fill the cracks and skim over the existing caulk.
2) Try to remove most of the existing caulk and redo it (what product would you use for this?)
3) Scrub the existing caulk clean and cover it with Eternabond tape.
4) Combine 2) & 3) by trying to remove the existing caulk and then replacing it with Eternabond.

These all have varying amounts of labor and material but the best method to insure stopping leaks is primary.

Or any other suggestions or advice on how to do the above.

I went with just cleaning the caulk and surrounding areas really well with the cleaner sold by eternabond, and the running the eternabond tape over the old caulk and seams. I made sure that the edges of the tape were sealed to a portion of roof or metal and not just the caulking. I did that 2 years ago and have not had a single issue since. I do a check of the tape every 3 months or so and it still looks as strong as when I put it on.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I went with just cleaning the caulk and surrounding areas really well with the cleaner sold by eternabond, and the running the eternabond tape over the old caulk and seams. I made sure that the edges of the tape were sealed to a portion of roof or metal and not just the caulking. I did that 2 years ago and have not had a single issue since. I do a check of the tape every 3 months or so and it still looks as strong as when I put it on.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I also covered all of the roof seams with 4" Eternabond tape this past summer. Never had a roof leak, but decided to do it instead of continuing to caulk it periodically.