2019 Gateway Pin Box

Rickmill

Ordered a 2019 Gateway 3810 RLB at the Tampa RV show. It is supposedly in transit to the dealer I bought it from. I have been unable to get a VIN number yet. Since I have a short bed truck, I want to get a Reese Airborne Sidewinder to put on the Gateway, but I need to know the chassis # or pin box information on the Gateway to get the correct Sidewinder. Customer service at Heartland could not assist me without a VIN number, Lippert customer service won't help me without a chassis ID number. I would think that the chassis / pin box would be the same on all of the 2019 Gateway 3810 RLB units being manufactured. Not sure why I can not get the info. Does anyone out there have a 2019 3810 RLB that can get me the pin box info on their rig? Thanks...

Last edited:

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
If you purchased a unit from the dealer then they should be able to get you a VIN. Your paperwork on the purchase should also have the VIN on it.

Rickmill

It was an ordered unit (wanted double pane windows) so there was no VIN because the unit hadn't been manufactured yet. It seems to me that the dealer would have a VIN now that it is built and in transit. I've called the sales person a couple of times requesting info and the VIN, but they still have not yet provided the info. Frustrating.

CoveredWagon

Ordered a 2019 Gateway 3810 RLB at the Tampa RV show. It is supposedly in transit to the dealer I bought it from. I have been unable to get a VIN number yet. Since I have a short bed truck, I want to get a Reese Airborne Sidewinder to put on the Gateway, but I need to know the chassis # or pin box information on the Gateway to get the correct Sidewinder. Customer service at Heartland could not assist me without a VIN number, Lippert customer service won't help me without a chassis ID number. I would think that the chassis / pin box would be the same on all of the 2019 Gateway 3810 RLB units being manufactured. Not sure why I can not get the info. Does anyone out there have a 2019 3810 RLB that can get me the pin box info on their rig? Thanks...

How short is the box ?

Gary521

I think I would hold off on the sidewinder. You definitely need an air pin box. However, I have a short bed with a slider hitch and have never used it.

danemayer

The dealer gets a build confirmation early in the process, with the VIN #. If the trailer is en route to the dealer, they've had it for quite a while.

SLO

I think I would hold off on the sidewinder. You definitely need an air pin box. However, I have a short bed with a slider hitch and have never used it.

The Reese Airborne Sidewinder is an air pin box.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bones

There are a couple different versions of the sidewinder. The Reese elite is the air version.

Here are the pin boxes it fits
For Wing Set Make and Model Numbers:Lippert 1621; Lippert 1621HD; Lippert 0719; Fabex PB-600 Series
This is is from their install sheet.
I don't think the Gateway pin box is going to change from the 1621 model.

Gary521

The Reese Airborne Sidewinder is an air pin box.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know that. The point I was trying to make is that you probably do not need a swinging pin box with a short bed. Does not Heartland advertise an 88 degree swing on their 5th wheel trailers?

CDN

B and B
I know that. The point I was trying to make is that you probably do not need a swinging pin box with a short bed. Does not Heartland advertise an 88 degree swing on their 5th wheel trailers?

Hello,

I have Reese sidewinder on Bighorn moving it to the Landmark. In some instances in forested parks the only way to get into a spot is tight turning the Sidewinder provides. My storage lot requires it at times too depending on which trailers are in .

Brian

Rickmill

Problem solved.... The unit showed up at the dealer today, and the sales rep texted me pics of the pin box, VIN, Chassis #, etc.

This Gateway has a Lippert 1621 HD pin box. So, with a few internet searches, it looks like the correct Reese 16K Airborne Sidewinder is #RP61422.

The Sidewinder is $1,400 and change on Amazon. I do want an air ride pin box. A Flex Air (for the 1621 HD) is about $1,200 on Amazon. So for about $250, I get the piece of mind, with the Sidewinder, that I wont hit the back of the truck in the event of uneven terrain when turned at the "88 degrees" that Heartland touts.

The only issue I have is that the GVWR of the Gateway is 16K. The Sidewinder is max 16K. So I would be running this at its limit. I talked to a Reese engineer about this today, and he assured me that the 16K Sidewinder would be fine with the 16K coach, there is a lot of cushion built in to the rating. So.... here I go with blind faith that they are conservative with the ratings.

CDN

B and B
Problem solved.... The unit showed up at the dealer today, and the sales rep texted me pics of the pin box, VIN, Chassis #, etc.

This Gateway has a Lippert 1621 HD pin box. So, with a few internet searches, it looks like the correct Reese 16K Airborne Sidewinder is #RP61422.

The Sidewinder is $1,400 and change on Amazon. I do want an air ride pin box. A Flex Air (for the 1621 HD) is about $1,200 on Amazon. So for about $250, I get the piece of mind, with the Sidewinder, that I wont hit the back of the truck in the event of uneven terrain when turned at the "88 degrees" that Heartland touts.

The only issue I have is that the GVWR of the Gateway is 16K. The Sidewinder is max 16K. So I would be running this at its limit. I talked to a Reese engineer about this today, and he assured me that the 16K Sidewinder would be fine with the 16K coach, there is a lot of cushion built in to the rating. So.... here I go with blind faith that they are conservative with the ratings.

I am running 16 k Sidewinder on a 16 k trailer. What hitch do you have? Make sure you get the correct wedge for the hitch.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Rickmill, I just saw a B&W companion on display at the rv show in Dallas this weekend. It had a sticker saying not to use with offset pinboxes like the sidewinder. You might want to confirm with B&W before making the decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
The FlexAir and Anderson has been a great improvement for us.

If you have any large RV shows near you, you might want to check pricing at the show. 2 years ago, we were able to walk out of the Hershey RV show with a flexAir pin box for $700 out the door. There might be some great deals there on B&W. Especially on Sunday....when they don’t wanna take anything back.

Rickmill

Rickmill, I just saw a B&W companion on display at the rv show in Dallas this weekend. It had a sticker saying not to use with offset pinboxes like the sidewinder. You might want to confirm with B&W before making the decision.

I had checked into it, and according to etrailer, a puck mount B&W Companion CAN be used with a Sidewinder, but not the gooseneck mount model. Here is a link to he article...

https://www.etrailer.com/question-205757.html

I think for even more piece of mind I will call B&W this morning.

Thanks for bringing this up and posting.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I checked into it, and according to etrailer, a Ford puck mount B&W Companion CAN be used with a Sidewinder, and not the gooseneck mount model. Here is a link to he article...

https://www.etrailer.com/question-205757.html

I think for even more piece of mind I will call B&W this morning.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Yes when you said "B&W Companion", I thought the gooseneck adapter version, because that's what we have, and that's the sticker I saw... I looked at it because I didn't think our hitch had that sticker.

Glad to offer some help, if you have the puck mount you'll probably be good to go!