Large P/U as daily driver

Dippytwo

We are thinking about getting a Heartland Big Horn 3850ML, and with it maybe a Ford F-350 Supercab with 8' box, DWR, diesel. We will be full timing and using it as a daily driver. The brochure says it will be about 21' long. For those who have trucks that size and use it as a daily driver, how much of a hassle can I expect. We will travel across the country, do sight seeing, etc. I know parking will be tight, but how about parking garages? Anyone have problems on some of the narrow roads? Going to Natural Parks (not for camping, we will be to long)? What kind of gas mileage can I expect using it as a daily driver?
Thanks.

MTPockets

We were full time for nearly five years and will say the DRW as daily driver was never an issue. There were some tight spots at times, but you quickly become accustomed to planning ahead; such as parking in spots where you have an easy exit. I always preferred backing in spaces. The backup camera made it a breeze and leaving my spot was easier. Parking garages post the ceiling clearance and I never had an issue. I placed a small sticker on my dash to remind me of my height clearance. Ours was 4WD and we took many 4WD roads with narrow passages and some crazy roads, enjoyed every one. All in all, I never felt intimidated or had any problems. I loved my truck more than any other vehicle I ever owned. Go for it! PS, my overall MPG was about 10. 16-18 when not towing. Always planned well ahead for National & State Parks, plenty of room...

mlpeloquin

It takes a while to get used to it, but once you do it isn't a problem. Pick spots that you can back into or ends spots. I just need to see what is available. My wife is handicapped, so if a spot is available, we will use it so long as I can angle it to get the back in enough not to stick out. If I need to use two spot lengths, I pick a spot far out. The walk does us good and I do not tick people off. A friend of mine would park at an angel up close taking up four spots. He got keyed. One thing about the dully is to not use valet parking. Once in Vegas I got into the valet line. The attendant told me that they are know longer allowed to park dully trucks ever since one went in as a dully and out as a single wide! He told me it may seem too tall for the parking garage, but it is not. It cleared the height bar. Your judgement gets better as you have more and more driving experience. I can almost hit between the lines every time without backing out and repositioning. It feels good when each tire is between the lines. Some parking lots are narrow. I have nailed two inchs over the parking lines each side. So the more you drive the better you will get.

Fox

Please allow me to be the nay-Sayer. Yesterday my DD (Scooter) was stolen and wrecked; today that placed me in the drivers seat of my dually.
This morning, while headed out of town (to collect my remaining belongings) I again noticed ...

while usable a Super Duty is not satisfying for around town duties. YMMV.

This (two time previous FELONY) Perp is once again in jail.

pjones1969

I bought my first dually in July 2016, a FX4 Ford Crew Cab...... the drive home was the hardest part, once you figure out that the mirrors are wider than the rear fenders you’ll drive it just like a regular truck. I drive mine daily, always back in, park farther out or pull through parking spots when going somewhere. I was taught to plan your departure upon your arrival, meaning that the place you are going will change while you are there so your best opportunity for parking is when you get there rather than trying to figure out how you are going to get out when you want to leave. Most of my driving is city/highway and I average 13.5-14 and 10-11 when towing. We travel quite a few single lane rural roads with no shoulders on the weekends and haven’t ever had an issue. I’ve parked in a few airport parking garages but due to lack of parking spaces while they were doing construction I started parking off-site and likedmit so I just stuck with it.

orion7144

I am in the process of upgrading my F250 (hopefully ordering it this week). I was all set on the F350 DRW until I drove the F450 DRW with the wide track front end. The turning radius is significantly better in the F450 and the cost is not much more. Besides the turning radius you get much bigger brakes and a bigger rear axle.

CoveredWagon

We are thinking about getting a Heartland Big Horn 3850ML, and with it maybe a Ford F-350 Supercab with 8' box, DWR, diesel. We will be full timing and using it as a daily driver. The brochure says it will be about 21' long. For those who have trucks that size and use it as a daily driver, how much of a hassle can I expect. We will travel across the country, do sight seeing, etc. I know parking will be tight, but how about parking garages? Anyone have problems on some of the narrow roads? Going to Natural Parks (not for camping, we will be to long)? What kind of gas mileage can I expect using it as a daily driver?
Thanks.

Ask your partner if she can drive it.

Take the advice of Orion 7144 in post #6.
I have a 2011 F-350 Dually Crew Cab FX/4 Long Bed Diesel.
In hindsight, I wish I would have gotten the F-450, for the reasons Orion mentioned.
Something else to think about is the option list.
I ordered the Lariat package with heated & cooled leather seats, backup camera, diesel quick heat option, in other words order the truck instead of buying off the lot and get what you want.
If you lease, you can still order what you want then lease it.
Something else to consider is your dealer can do a dealer search and possibly find the truck with the options you want and get it for you.
Resale value stays up on these big trucks also.
The options make life a lot easier when towing for long distances.
We spend the Winters in Foley, Alabama and my wife drives the truck most every day going to Line Dance, and she has no problems.
She really looks good driving it and she impresses the other gals in the park.
Park farther out and back in is what we do also.
The only place you can’t go is through the car wash, so you have to wash it yourself.
This is my daily driver at home.
I had an F-250 Diesel before this and the difference is amazing.
I’m partial to the Fords after 45 years as a GM/GMC man, I think it’s a better truck, & it’s a Ford engine.
Good Luck on whatever choice you make.

Hockster

jbeletti

I am in the process of upgrading my F250 (hopefully ordering it this week). I was all set on the F350 DRW until I drove the F450 DRW with the wide track front end. The turning radius is significantly better in the F450 and the cost is not much more. Besides the turning radius you get much bigger brakes and a bigger rear axle.

I've had an F550 followed by 2 F450s. Really loved them for the turning radius and the bigger brakes were a plus too. HD all the way around - really nice for towing the bigger rigs.

NYSUPstater

A friend used to say: "if the front end fits, the rest will follow". As a semi driver for past 33 years and owning short box 4x4 crew cabs and ext cab past 20 years, figured driving a DRW CC 4x4 LB would be a walk in the park. Man it took some getting used to. Like what others have said about parking towards outer areas of lots and mpg's is true. I haven't tested the parking garage fitment tho. One thing not mentioned is that you have to be careful of drive thru's and fuel pumps. I do miss the SB SRW for pretty much all I do, especially in the winter. BUT with practice and patience all can be done w/ the DRW. Other driver's (cars) give you a lil more respect as well---not much, but some. Be mindful too that when you're hooked up and depending on length of RV, you are pushing 55'-60'. The DRW makes it nice too when hooking up to RV's that are 96" wide as the fenders are same width.

BLR

I have driven a DRW as a daily driver since 1997, 1st F350 then we went up to F550 in 06 when our 350 was totaled..once we picked up our Cyclone in 16' we knew the older F550 was not up to the braking capabilities that we needed. So we ordered 17' F450 picked it up in Nov.
Never looked backed.
The tighter steering over a F350 is night and day
The braking is great, no more white knuckles going downhill.

Barbara

Sent from BLR Logistics

Dave_Jari

I have driven my Ram 3500 DRW daily since 2014 when new. There was some anxiety at first but soon went away. As was said before, if your mirrors will clear, your fenders are no problem. I use mine foe work and purchased with the 3:73 rear end, which on the highway has averaged as much as 23.1 mpg driving conservitavely. Just recently went to Fort Morgan Alabama and averaged on whole trip 21.1 mpg. My mpg varies greatly with/without bed cover installed. These mpg' were with it on. Without it is nearer 19 mpg. Towing our 427, it drops to around 9 mpg, burn does handle the rig pretty well. If I were to trade, I believe I would get the 4:10, 4:11 rear ends for our rig. If our rig where smaller/lighter I'd stay with the 3:73. Parking is no issue any longer, just a matter of getting used to. My wife don't seem to notice much around her when she is driving, so she has not driven my truck other than to move it at the house. (Her choice by the way).

carl.swoyer

Thanks.
I recently changed from a srw to a dually. Occasionally I might have to do a two point turn to park. I have not found any negative effect of the dually to include parking in Key West.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Alan_B

Just a word of caution about parking garages. You may be under the height limit but that’s not the only obstacle.

Recently in a parking garage in Savannah GA we just barely fit down the circular exit ramp in our SRW short box F-350. Very tight turns. The cement walls showed signs of many encounters with sheet metal.

kowAlski631

Be careful with parking garage ramps. They jump out and smack your truck. Don't ask - what happened in Vegas didn't stay there.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Even in Parking garages with clearance marked at the entrance, There may be clearance changes marked and unmarked in other areas of the garage that may be lower than the marked clearance at the entrance. Found that out when I entered a ramp marked over 8 ft clearance and found that a section of the main drive in the garage dropped to 7 feet but was not marked. There was then another section marked 6' 10" as the clearance. All in the same garage. I no longer even consider parking a tall vehicle in that particular ramp. I did notify the parking office of that ramp and eventually some parts of that ramp were further marked but not all and the entrance was still marked at the higher end of the ramp clearances present.

Dippytwo

Thanks for the responses. I’m sure with a little practice I will get used to it. The hard part will be talking DW to get behind the wheel.

avvidclif

Thanks for the responses. I’m sure with a little practice I will get used to it. The hard part will be talking DW to get behind the wheel.

My DW would rather drive the dually than our 1/2T or her Equinox. Now when the RV is hooked up she will pull it, no problem, BUT "R" does not exist. If that position is needed she's off the seat covers.