Need Dehumidifier?

Dustdevil

We will be living in a Heartland Pioneer QB300 travel trailer starting this fall (october-april) near Valdosta GA. I think that I need a dehumidifier to control the moisture buildup in our unit. Having never did this before, I am asking if anyone has been through this? Our unit is new, and I sure don't want mold or mildew building up on our walls, etc. We have about 300 square feet or around 1600 cubic feet. There will be two adults and 2 cats living in the unit through the winter months. Haven't quite figured out how we are going to transport two cats in our SUV yet, should be a "learning experience". It will be almost 1600 miles and the most the cats have traveled is to the vet (25 miles). I'm wondering how large a dehumidifier I might need, any thoughts out there?

BarbandFrank

We are full time and live in a 42 foot fifth wheel with four slides. We spent the last two winters in Florida and Alabama and found a portable dehumidifier is a necessity. We use an Eva-Dry model, purchased on Amazon, and it sits on our island countertop. It’s quiet, compact, and easy to empty the water and small enough to store in a cabinet on travel days. We also use a product called Damp Rid that comes in containers that we place throughout the rig. We have a large container on the floor near our refrigerator, another small container behind the toilet in the bathroom, and a hanging unit for our closet. Since we don’t use the dehumidifier every single day, the Damp Rid products serve as extra protection. We buy Damp Rid at Walmart or Home Depot. Read the information/specifications about the Eva Dry dehumidifier to determine if it will work for your needs. Our unit is about 14” tall.

Barb

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We will be living in a Heartland Pioneer QB300 travel trailer starting this fall (october-april) near Valdosta GA. I think that I need a dehumidifier to control the moisture buildup in our unit. Having never did this before, I am asking if anyone has been through this? Our unit is new, and I sure don't want mold or mildew building up on our walls, etc. We have about 300 square feet or around 1600 cubic feet. There will be two adults and 2 cats living in the unit through the winter months. Haven't quite figured out how we are going to transport two cats in our SUV yet, should be a "learning experience". It will be almost 1600 miles and the most the cats have traveled is to the vet (25 miles). I'm wondering how large a dehumidifier I might need, any thoughts out there?

Put the cats in carriers on the back seat. Feed them some calming treats before putting them into the carriers. Ours manage the 3 hour, 200 mile trek to our rig during the summer with little complaint until we hit rough freeway or stop at a rest area mid-way. You may need to let them use the litter box and have some food/water in your trailer when you make rest stops. I would release one at a time and stay with them so they don't hide someplace.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We also use a dehumidifier inside our 5th wheel. It makes a used difference controlling the humidity within the coach.

Dustdevil

We are full time and live in a 42 foot fifth wheel with four slides. We spent the last two winters in Florida and Alabama and found a portable dehumidifier is a necessity. We use an Eva-Dry model, purchased on Amazon, and it sits on our island countertop. It’s quiet, compact, and easy to empty the water and small enough to store in a cabinet on travel days. We also use a product called Damp Rid that comes in containers that we place throughout the rig. We have a large container on the floor near our refrigerator, another small container behind the toilet in the bathroom, and a hanging unit for our closet. Since we don’t use the dehumidifier every single day, the Damp Rid products serve as extra protection. We buy Damp Rid at Walmart or Home Depot. Read the information/specifications about the Eva Dry dehumidifier to determine if it will work for your needs. Our unit is about 14” tall.

Barb

Thanks Barb, that info helps a lot! I saw that Eva-Dry model, but didn't know if it would be large enough for us or not. It sounds like it might do the trick. I've also seen several references for the Damp Rid products. That's also probably something we will need. Our unit will be stored in the same RV Park, probably in the same space from year to year, only without electricity when we aren't there (though the summer months). So we won't be able to run a dehumidifier or any electric. But the Damp Rid products would work somewhat anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Put the cats in carriers on the back seat. Feed them some calming treats before putting them into the carriers. Ours manage the 3 hour, 200 mile trek to our rig during the summer with little complaint until we hit rough freeway or stop at a rest area mid-way. You may need to let them use the litter box and have some food/water in your trailer when you make rest stops. I would release one at a time and stay with them so they don't hide someplace.

We don't have a tow vehicle so that's the reason our unit will be set down on a long-term basis, with storage through the summer months. Our trek from Fargo ND to Valdosta GA will be around 1500 miles. We plan on discussing our problem with our vet next month, and get his ideas for transporting. Our two felines are sisters and haven't been outside since they were found by my d-i-l's parents when they were about 2-3 weeks old by their dog. They live on a farmstead in the Minnesota lake country (thick trees).

Kathi-27

we give are cat composure when we travel. travels in truck with us. some people use a thunder shirt also. have thermostat/humidity gauge on kit counter and bath sink to keep I on it. right now it is 25 outside temp bath reads 30 percent kit reads 40 percent. ranges between 30 to 70 percent depending on humidity outside and when showering. bough a dehumidifier have never used it. live just south of atlanta ga full timeing. when we go over to the coast it gets a little hi some times but not enough to be worried about. if was on the coast all the time might have to use it. hope that helps. the more we travel the better the cat has gotten. goes to sleep once we get out of traffic and are just cruising on hwy.

david-steph2018

We also use a dehumidifier inside our 5th wheel. It makes a used difference controlling the humidity within the coach.

Which dehumidifier do you guys use? We plan on going full time this year and trying to get stuff we will need for the Road Warrior

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
Dehumidifiers do work. Ours fills up about every 3 days in high humidity climates. I am not sure how much good it really does as the humidity level on our weather station never changes with it running. We have wintered in SC and S TX and the AC does more to control high humidity IMO. The lowest we can get the humidity lvl in our rig is about 53 % with the AC. But it will climb right back up quickly once you turn it off.

carl.swoyer

Lowes has one on clearance. Normally 199 now 99 dollars with a drain hose.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

garyroee

I have used the RV dehumidifier Pro Breeze in my 2002 Riatla QD. My motorhome is about 1000 cubic feet. This winter was very wet and the interior was showing signs of mold on some interior surfaces. I am well aware of the damage mold and mildew can do to motorhome interiors. I use two small rechargeable dehumidifiers that turn pink when wet and blue when dry. These were not enough this winter. So, I bought the Pro Breeze Mini and couldn't be happier. I have a gauge in my motorhome that shows the temp and humidity. It has reduced the interior humidity by 20%.

Last edited: