Ford or Chevy honest opinion needed.

avvidclif

The location of the DEF tank eliminates errors and is no big deal to fill. Actually easy as the 2.5g jugs sit on the underhood stuff and you don't have to hold it up in the air. The Ford has these big old warts sticking out over the rear wheels. That's more objectionable to me than a DEF tank underneath.

danemayer

Our 2011 GMC had the DEF fill under the hood on the passenger side. I always found filling with jugs slightly inconvenient and didn't care for spilling DEF on stuff around the engine (is it possible to never spill?). But the real annoying part was using the bulk DEF hose at truck stops like Flying J. If I pulled up far enough to use the diesel fill, the DEF fill wouldn't reach. And vice versa. I'd have to fill diesel, then back up a few feet to put in DEF. Having the DEF next to the Diesel on the RAM is much more convenient. But I did add a cap to the diesel fill spout to reduce the possibility of error.

WillyBill

The location of the DEF tank eliminates errors and is no big deal to fill. Actually easy as the 2.5g jugs sit on the underhood stuff and you don't have to hold it up in the air. The Ford has these big old warts sticking out over the rear wheels. That's more objectionable to me than a DEF tank underneath.

X2 Cliff!!!

LOL

WB

avvidclif

Our 2011 GMC had the DEF fill under the hood on the passenger side. I always found filling with jugs slightly inconvenient and didn't care for spilling DEF on stuff around the engine (is it possible to never spill?). But the real annoying part was using the bulk DEF hose at truck stops like Flying J. If I pulled up far enough to use the diesel fill, the DEF fill wouldn't reach. And vice versa. I'd have to fill diesel, then back up a few feet to put in DEF. Having the DEF next to the Diesel on the RAM is much more convenient. But I did add a cap to the diesel fill spout to reduce the possibility of error.

I am just getting used to DEF as I've only had to dump some in 3 times. Have yet to spill a drop. When the truck says feed me it will hold 2.5 g, convenient.

Fox

The Ford has these big old warts sticking out over the rear wheels. That's more objectionable to me than a DEF tank underneath.

Please point out these warts?

Attachments

• 20180710_110150.jpg
    20180710_110150.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 70

Mark-Roberta 051995

I had to add this just because - :cool:

You can't go wrong with any of the new big 3 trucks - we all just have preferences on which one we like. Enjoy the new ride once you figure out what is best for you.

new truck.jpg

SNOKING

I had to add this just because - :cool:

You can't go wrong with any of the new big 3 trucks - we all just have preferences on which one we like. Enjoy the new ride once you figure out what is best for you.

View attachment 61117

What ^^^ said. Go drive all three and pick the one you both like the best. With the RAM drive one with the rear air suspension option and the optional Aisin transmission. Sadly trucks on the lots usually have the rear tires over inflated for driving around empty and that effects handling and ride quality. With a dually the rears only need 35 pounds inflation when not loaded. Which reminds me that I still need to let a little more air out of my SRW rear tires after towing the Little Guy trailer last week. Chris

avvidclif

The Ford has these big old warts sticking out over the rear wheels. That's more objectionable to me than a DEF tank underneath.

Please point out these warts?

The fenders that are bolted onto the bed rather than made a part of like Ram and GM do.

But I agree with several posters, just drive all 3. There's not a nickels worth of difference in the capabilities of the big 3.

jnbhobe

I'll stick with my replaceable rear fenders rather than replace the bed

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

rhodies1

I just watched a video. The New 2020 Chevy,a lot of new changes to the unit. Def tank now like the other 2 ,no longer under hood,rear heated seats,led box lights,full power mirrors like Ford,fold and in and out ,fold up into body side steps on box,larger and wider foot step on rear bumper Plus 6 way tail gate,heater plug outlet built into front fender. .... these are just some of the new upgrades...I have had Chev and now have a Ford. Both good units.Would not own a Dodge.

NYSUPstater

I'll try to keep this short. When we 1st were looking for a new truck back in '03 our DS was still in a car seat and DD wasn't. We looked/sat in both GM/Ford CC trucks and felt the Ford just had more room. Ended up going w/ a '03 F250 CC,4x4,SB 6.0. Had that truck until late '14 and upgraded to a '15 F350 CC,4x4, SB 6.7 simply based on past experience w/ Ford (despite the 6.uh-oh). Made a very good decision as this was a great truck even if off the lot purchase. HOWEVER, when we decided to upgrade the RV a couple years later, we were over truck's everything. Sadly, as much as I didn't want to do it, we traded in the '15 for a '17 F350 DRW, CC, 4x4, LB, 6.7 and quite frankly am impressed w/ the room it has and slight uptick in power over the '15 but the '17 also has 4.10 gears. FWIW, our DD is now married and 2 hrs away, DS is attending college so just the DW and me. I will not give up the CC, but still sorely miss my SRW trucks.

Now as for GM VS Ford, OP, you've gotten some great answers/replies and most are very passionate about what they drive. You won't go wrong w/ the towing/pulling ability of either brand. GM has the D-Max/Allison down pat and so does Ford w/ their OWN Powerstroke/Torqueshift. You'll just simply have to look at, sit in, test drive each one to see what you like best. What I'd suggest is that the 2 of you go at same time, write down notes separate from each other (also make/model/trim level of each truck), take turns driving, etc, etc. Once you've done all this, sit down at home, make a spread sheet and compare what you liked/disliked. Then from here you'll reach a decision. I along w/ probly many others don't agree w/ the prices they are asking for new rides, but not much we can do about that. While things seem to be pretty quiet for pick-ups, the DEF systems are an absolute nightmare on semis. When they work, all is great. When they go down, biggest pieces of junk no matter what brand. In saying that, once a pick-up goes out of warranty, can be pretty pricey to get fixed. So it's either keep trading in every few years to have a warranty or "suck it up buttercup".

Each truck, just like anything, has their own set of quirks. While my all time fav truck is a GMC, I simply have had decent luck with Ford and the Ford IMO just looks like "muscle" truck.

Sorry for not keeping this short.

LBR

Before our truck purchase, I shopped the used Freightliner Series 5 MDT market for almost a year for our puller. Could not find the one I wished to have anywhere.

After much discussion, the DW summed up our truck purchase by stating "what about servicing if a break down happens? How many shops in our travels will handle Freightliner repairs compared to 1 of the big 2?" Yup, dingding, the scales were tipped.

It had to be an MTD as I will never own an LDT pickup as most like. I wished to have the massive brakes, heavy duty chassis, and heavy rearend (gears, bearings, axles, etc) for our CY pin weight.

Been with Ford for decades, so GMC/Chevy was out of the picture. The '17 F-450 is our MDT, and we chose it with the Platinum features.

SNOKING

Would not own a Dodge.

I would not either, as Dodge no longer makes trucks starting in MY 2011 I believe. I have had two Dodge/Cummins and one RAM/Cummins, liked all three at the time.

The 2015 RAM is the best vehicle I have every owned with the exception of maybe the 67 Camaro SS/RS 350 4 speed. No other car/truck has cruised at 80 MPH as effortlessly as this RAM. Chris

Last edited:

NYSUPstater

The 2015 RAM is the best vehicle I have every owned with the exception of maybe the 67 Camaro SS/RS 350 4 speed. No other car/truck has cruised at 80 MPH as effortlessly. Chris

Well except for an early 70's Caddy Sedan DeVille w/ a 472 4 barrel carb.Now that cruised. Course the gas gauge went down just as fast...........

BLR

I will take my wart fenders..lol
966497524ba92b81bb1ca8b1e4e36adb.jpg

Sent from BLR Logistics

lynndiwagoner

It's too bad that Epa has mandated this DEF crap for light duty, privately owned trucks. A complete nightmare when it has problems, and I guarantee that it will have problems at some point. Now that I've got that off of my chest.......Ford or Chevy? Good info on here, get what feels comfortable. Good luck.

Lynn1130

Consumer Reports publishes an excellent rundown of all makes and models of vehicle. This includes customer feedback and repair history. It is worth researching it there. It is a look at thousands of the same type vehicles.

In all honesty I am not sure how one can make a totally unbiased review without having owned all three major brands, of the same year and class, in the same year and put enough miles on each of the vehicles to evaluate them. On top of that one might be a lemon and one of a hundred thousand bad vehicles. Consumer Reports is a better way to evaluate. These threads are interesting and in some way helpful but it goes back to what I said earlier. Where you sit is where you stand. I would not buy a $75,000 vehicle because someone on the Internet said it was the best there is :)

chiefneon

Howdy!

We also recently shopped around for a new TV. Our situation was different we downsized from a MDT 4400 International Custom Hauler. My lovely wife wanted a new truck so we looked at all three Ford, Dodge and Chevorlet. Out of the three we choose Chevrolet 3500 DRW/ LDZ Custom Hauler from 2L Custom Trucks.

My my suggestion would be Drive them all and then choose which one you like the best.

This is what we choose.

95ADCABA-E19A-4DD1-852B-5AD20B14CA80.jpg

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon

Dmetcalf

Howdy!

We also recently shopped around for a new TV. Our situation was different we downsized from a MDT 4400 International Custom Hauler. My lovely wife wanted a new truck so we looked at all three Ford, Dodge and Chevorlet. Out of the three we choose Chevrolet 3500 DRW/ LDZ Custom Hauler from 2L Custom Trucks.

My my suggestion would be Drive them all and then choose which one you like the best.

This is what we choose.

View attachment 61148

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon

That is one gorgeous rig right there ..!