RV Hitch Recommendations

Redrider007

My 3010 did not come with a Hitch receiver-Any suggestions on a quality one for a couple bikes or even a 230lb dirt bike? I’m guessing a bolt on!

Last edited by a moderator:

MTPockets

Re: RV Hitch Reccomrndations

My 3010 did not come with a Hitch receiver-Any suggestions on a quality one for a couple bikes or even a 230lb dirt bike? I’m guessing a bolt on!
I had one custom made by a welder.... having said that, I don’t recommend anything be carried on the rear due to the bouncing and abuse to the equipment. At most, two light weight bicycles, but they will get a lot of hammering. We were full time, so a lot of miles travelled from Alaska to Florida. We removed the receiver and bikes after first year and losing one of the bikes.

Fox

I also had a welder fabricate me a 2" receiver hitch (on an earlier 5th). Structurally it was quite robust but the carried contents (a portable fireplace - estimate 50 pounds) eventually vibrated to pieces. And when 'down' my folding carrier would occasionally drag on some fuel stop / restaurant driveway / roadway transitions.

I removed the 1.5" factory receiver from my current 5th.

jnbhobe

I think that's a Lipert CYA, I have had a rack and generator on mine for 10yr and it's been in the Lipert shop a few times with nothing said.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mlpeloquin

That maybe a Lipert CYA, but found a one inch crack in mine and had it welded and braced. This was on the outside and I never have had an rear hitch. Behind the crack on the inside was the cross brace installed by Lippert. The welder does many for the local RV dealers. He says it happens more than you think. Seems to happen to owners that put a lot of miles on them like us. Adding more weight and stress to the frame contribute to this? Perhaps or perhaps not. I have the 12k frame and it appears to be just adequate. So just do as you wish and keep a close eye on the frames. Have your fifth wheel weighed to make sure you are not going to go over the weight rating of your frame.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I had one custom made ans welded it on to my frame rails a few years ago. I carry 2 Electric bikes (no batteries) on there, about 110lbs. I can watch them in my camera and have friends following us that say they don't bounce around much at all.

As for a 230lbs dirt bike you better over engineer it and kiss your 5 year structural warranty goodby.

https://heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/54076-Project-LM-365?p=439083&viewfull=1#post439083

We are down here in Rancho California if you want to look at it.

Hope this helps

Jerrod.

jnbhobe

That maybe a Lipert CYA, but found a one inch crack in mine and had it welded and braced. This was on the outside and I never have had an rear hitch. Behind the crack on the inside was the cross brace installed by Lippert. The welder does many for the local RV dealers. He says it happens more than you think. Seems to happen to owners that put a lot of miles on them like us. Adding more weight and stress to the frame contribute to this? Perhaps or perhaps not. I have the 12k frame and it appears to be just adequate. So just do as you wish and keep a close eye on the frames. Have your fifth wheel weighed to make sure you are not going to go over the weight rating of your frame.

I also have Mor-Ryde IS witch stiffens up the frame quite a bit and extra cross braces across the frame in three places.

brianlajoie

I put a class three hitch on the nose of my truck for our 2 mountain bikes. There have been a couple of member's bolted/welded hitches fail. I too have a 3010RE.