Toyhauler too Steep?! Problem solved - Extended ramp w/pics

I purchased my Torque 327 one month ago and 3 weeks ago I promptly took it out for a shake down trip. I found a couple things the dealer needed to address and I found some I need to address. Mainly the incline of the ramp. I have a 2019 Road Glide Special with some exhaust pipes that extend outwards. Nothing out of the ordinary but they are the 4.5" tip so their diameter basically puts them closer to the ground that most standard pipes. That was problem 1 - ascending the ramp was getting my exhaust tips less than a quarter inch from the payment and that was slowing creeping up the ramp as to not rebound the rear suspension. Coming down might make it scrape the payment. Problem 2 - the incline was so steep that when I got to the beaver tail of the garage and my rear tire was about to transition from ramp to actual garage floor my tire would just spin out on the aluminum frame of the ramp. This made for a very scary situation. With all this said you know this wouldn't make for a very comfortable scenario every time we load/unload the bike. There had to be a better way. I hope this helps someone else.

I came up with this:

First i bought this fold-able truck ramp:

It measures 1' wide x 6' long give or take. What I did next was to disassemble the two pieces and actually bolt them side to side effectively making a 2' wide x 3' long ramp.
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200672550_200672550

Then i purcahsed 4 steel heavy duty weld-on hinges that I measured and drilled to the ramps then positioned where I wanted on the ramp and drilled and screwed those in. I used self tapping screws.

This helps to get the rear tire further away from the ground faster than it gets to the actually ramp and to further help the angle I place two 4" x 6" blocks that I had laying around right under two of the bumper stops already screwed on to the ramp.

Let me tell you!!! This makes loading/unloading so much better. It's amazing what that extra 6" of height and 3' of length does to loading. My pipes are far from the payment and the transition from ramp to garage floor are way less scary.

take a look at the pics and I hope this helps someone. ramp 2.jpgramp 4.jpgramp 3.jpgramp 5.jpgramp 8.jpgramp 7.jpg

View attachment 61097View attachment 61098View attachment 61103

avvidclif

The best thing I found is to unload on level ground and if needed raise the front of the trailer up.

The best thing I found is to unload on level ground and if needed raise the front of the trailer up.

Yep. I tried that and it still wasn't gonna work for me. So I came up with this for just about $100.00 and no need to find level ground or have to raise up or any other inconvenience. I like fast and easy(er)

Sniper

Ditto. I have to decrease the angle of the ramp regardless cause the Commanders sled sits so low so I raise the front of the rig as well to load our bikes. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Yep. I tried that and it still wasn't gonna work for me. So I came up with this for just about $100.00 and no need to find level ground or have to raise up or any other inconvenience. I like fast and easy(er)
Looks good and if it suites your needs is what matters. I was wondering how you secure them for travel. What keeps them from slapping fore and aft during transit with the ramp up? :)

- - - Updated - - -

Looks good and if it suites your needs is what matters. I was wondering how you secure them for travel. What keeps them from slapping fore and aft during transit with the ramp up? :)

I actually just use some bungees that attach to my patio rails. haven't had any issues yet. But I'm currently going to try somethin else. I will report back once I get it.

Sniper

I actually just use some bungees that attach to my patio rails. haven't had any issues yet. But I'm currently going to try somethin else. I will report back once I get it.
Sometimes the easiest solution is the best solution. :)

Safe travels.

avvidclif

Where you put the screws into the ramp make sure you covered it solid on top and under the hinges with silicone sealant. A little water intrusion and the ramp wil come apart.

Where you put the screws into the ramp make sure you covered it solid on top and under the hinges with silicone sealant. A little water intrusion and the ramp wil come apart.

Yep. did that just in case but the part where the screws go are never exposed to the outside. except, obviously when it's down.

avvidclif

Yep. did that just in case but the part where the screws go are never exposed to the outside. except, obviously when it's down.

That's what I thought too. Some dark night have the DW wife shine a bright flashlight along the top of the ramp from the inside. You stand outside and see how much light you see. So much for sealing.