RV Security Camera to monitor front door

david-steph2018

Wife and I are talking about a security camera style for our RV. We are looking at the "Ring" type of device, so we can see who comes to the door. Any ideals or advice as to how this may work or advice on what type to use for this application?

NP_Chief

We have a Ring Doorbell at our house, never thought about it for the TT. The only issue I would worry about is wifi connectivity. If you can get reliable wifi in your rig, I think it would work. You may not be able to use the motion detect feature in close quarters parks.

danemayer

Not clear what problem you're trying to solve.

If you're in the trailer and want to know who's at the door, most people would look out the window adjacent to the door. But maybe you don't have a window that looks out on the entry.

If you're away from the trailer and want to know who's at the door, you could use a Ring doorbell. As mentioned, reliable WiFi is a must for remote usage. Also, you'll either have to run 12V to the Ring doorbell, or get a model with internal battery and change the battery periodically.

If you're leaving the trailer in a setting with nothing close by, you might enable motion detection. But if people or wildlife are near the trailer, you'd be likely to get a lot of motion detection alerts.

LBR

Wife and I are talking about a security camera style for our RV. We are looking at the "Ring" type of device, so we can see who comes to the door. Any ideals or advice as to how this may work or advice on what type to use for this application?
Not sure how intensely you wish this security camera, but you could look at the Arlo Go. It doesn't need wifi, runs off of batteries, and I believe a solar panel charger is also available for it. Sends videos to your phone when triggered....just an option to be aware of.

orion7144

Another problem I have found with the WIFI cameras is that sure they work locally but you can not remote into them when not on the same network. Cell providers are blocking using a Dynamic DNS. I have tried on an ATT hotspot (it allows you to setup a DDNS), Verizon, and Tmobile. I have yet to get any to work remotely via DDNS. They will record to my NAS so at least I can see later if something happened and maybe who or what.

danemayer

Another problem I have found with the WIFI cameras is that sure they work locally but you can not remote into them when not on the same network. Cell providers are blocking using a Dynamic DNS. I have tried on an ATT hotspot (it allows you to setup a DDNS), Verizon, and Tmobile. I have yet to get any to work remotely via DDNS. They will record to my NAS so at least I can see later if something happened and maybe who or what.
I think many of the security cameras have a subscription service that uses the company server at the middle man. The camera maintains communications with the server and sends video/audio to the server and audio back to the doorbell. Your phone app gets video/audio from the server and sends audio back. In my experience, it's not as fast as the commercials would suggest.

Ring charges around $30/year for the server to give you remote access.

orion7144

I think many of the security cameras have a subscription service that uses the company server at the middle man. The camera maintains communications with the server and sends video/audio to the server and audio back to the doorbell. Your phone app gets video/audio from the server and sends audio back. In my experience, it's not as fast as the commercials would suggest.

Ring charges around $30/year for the server to give you remote access.

Thats why I use my Qnap NAS as my "cloud" video server. You can use the app Surveillance station on the NAS as your "cloud" I do not think Ring devices allow you to use it that way. I have 2 ring devices in my home but am still on my free year through Costco so I have not tried..

'Lil Guy'

Sounds like a solution in search of a problem that doesn't exist for most of us.

This response doesn't seem to aid in a solution.lol I've never felt the need to monitor my front door either unless it was George Speir coming over to BS. We just act like we're gone till he leaves.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
This response doesn't seem to aid in a solution.lol I've never felt the need to monitor my front door either unless it was George Speir coming over to BS. We just act like we're gone till he leaves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I have Arlo Netgear cameras at the house. Although the cameras are battery powered, the system requires WiFi to work. The base actually plugs into an Ethernet port on my router/modem. Probably the same for anything other than a recording trail-cam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

avvidclif

By my count the two of you are the first arrivals. He doesn't have anyone else to talk to, be nice.