How to move the slide, awning and tongue jack with dead battery

farupp

We have a 2018 NT 24 foot travel trailer. This hasn't happened yet but how would the slide, awning and tongue jack be operated if the battery goes dead and no way to charge it?

Just wondering.
'
Thanks, Frank

ram22

We have a 2018 NT 24 foot travel trailer. This hasn't happened yet but how would the slide, awning and tongue jack be operated if the battery goes dead and no way to charge it?

Just wondering.
'
Thanks, Frank

There is a special tool supplied, flexible bit used with cordless drill, to manually turn the motor. You should have been checked out on it upon delivery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

farupp

Thank you. We have that tool but the tech who was explaining the trailer did not know what it was used for. Will it work on all three of the motors I asked about and where would it connect to the motor, especially for the slide?

danemayer

If you carry jumper cables in your truck, you can solve a dead battery problem pretty easily. And even without jumper cables, if you hook the umbilical cord to the truck, you can charge the trailer battery - might take 30 minutes to get enough charge for slides, etc.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Plug your umbilical cord into your truck, with the engine running. Should give you enough power to run one at a time without damaging anything. I've done this with a dead battery to operate my jacks. When we had a 27ft. TT, this was a common thing until I learned to disconnect the battery in storage.

If your trailer is going to sit idle and not plugged into shore power for extended periods, it's highly recommended you either install a battery cut-off switch or disconnect the cables at the battery. There are devices inside the trailer that have a parasitic current draw, such as the LP detector and any digital clocks/radios that are part of the trailer.

ram22

Thank you. We have that tool but the tech who was explaining the trailer did not know what it was used for. Will it work on all three of the motors I asked about and where would it connect to the motor, especially for the slide?

Mine inserts into the center of the back of the electric slide motor.

rhodies1

If your battery goes dead just hook up to your tow vehicle, plug into tow vehicle,start tow vehicle and retract awning,slides and tongue jack using the battery power from the tow vehicle until your trailer battery is charged.

farupp

Good idea. But we have a 2015 Ford F-150 and have been told that even with the truck's engine running and the trailer connected that it won't charge the RV battery, just maintain the current state of the RV battery. And, we don't have jumper cable long enough to go from the truck battery to the RV battery. We do have a portable generator and a battery charger so we could do it that way.

I was just curious about how to run the various RV motors with out a battery.

berky

Good idea. But we have a 2015 Ford F-150 and have been told that even with the truck's engine running and the trailer connected that it won't charge the RV battery, just maintain the current state of the RV battery. And, we don't have jumper cable long enough to go from the truck battery to the RV battery. We do have a portable generator and a battery charger so we could do it that way.

I was just curious about how to run the various RV motors with out a battery.

You should be able to run each item from your truck's 7-pin connector, even with the trailer battery discharged. It happened to me one time, and I had no problem running the tongue jack from the truck connector.

The tongue jack should have a removable weatherproof seal on the top of the housing. Inside you will find a shaft extension that you can put a standard socket and ratchet on.

If your awning is the LCI Solera, there's a similar arrangement. There's a rubber plug near the top of the motor housing. The motor housing is the one at the top of the arm on the right side of the awning (when facing the awning from outside the trailer.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If you’re running off the umbilical cord to the truck, you need to have the battery in place and connected. It’s part of the circuit. And your truck will charge the battery, just not quickly.

In the past, I’ve picked up my rig from the dealer after an extended service call and had a dead battery (didn’t have a shut-off switch then). Used the truck to operate the jacks and get hooked up to take it home.

farupp

Mine inserts into the center of the back of the electric slide motor.

ram22: I found the motor for the slide and there is a place to insert the tool as you described. But i can't reach the slide motor to use the tool. Do I have to remove the wood trim to access the motor? If not how do I get to the motor?

Thanks.
Frank

ram22

ram22: I found the motor for the slide and there is a place to insert the tool as you described. But i can't reach the slide motor to use the tool. Do I have to remove the wood trim to access the motor? If not how do I get to the motor?

Thanks.
Frank

Yes! Exactly. And when you reinstall the wood trim use deck screws so you can get in there easier in the future. Not very user friendly, is it?