Storing RV for summer in SC

Watson

Hoping someone can give me some advise. We are snowbirds soon to put our 36 ft fifth wheel in storage until Xmas. It will be stored in a lot in SC in the sun. We have several pails of damp rid. Is there any out advice from some experienced folks? ie some say close it up right others say give it some ventilation.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Remove batteries from all devices. Leave fridge doors ajar. I’d remove the smoke and CO detectors, too, as high temperatures in a closed environment can kill the sensors. If you have covers over the roof vents, I leave the vents open about an inch just to help remove some of the summer heat. Cover the tires, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kowAlski631

We pull all of the batteries, doors ajar (refrigerator, cabinet, etc), damp rid in multiple locations, shades closed. We don't suggest ventilation since it's during hurricane season.

Garypowell

Inspect your slide seals, especially the ones under the rooms, for any damage.

We we used to store in FL over the winter and when we found some mildew it was always because an under slide seal had been breached in that area.

mlpeloquin

When we had a class C before our Big Horn, we were told to do ether of two things. If you have a power source, use a dehumidifier. Otherwise keep the top vents open and allow the air to flow in and out through them. I did not have power so I kept the vents open after putting vent covers over them. The windows never fogged and it never was damp inside. The only other thing would to keep it locked tight and use a water absorption product such as Dry-Z-Air and/or EVA-Dry. The best for the class C was to keep all the vents open. Both Dry-Z-Air and EVA-Dry work well, but Dry-Z-Air need to be drained out and new material out in every two to four weeks depending on just how humid it is. EVA-Dry can be recharged thus it is reusable, but again you need to check them every few weeks. I have used both in our fifth wheel when storing in the fall through spring. They work well. Remember anything with slides are not truly sealed like a drum and will let humid air in. Dry-Z-Air just inside the door on the floor and the EVA-Dry in the closets. We do not have a problem with humidity in the summer here.

kowAlski631

SC has a lot of humidity. In my reading of the OP, it seems that they aren't nearby to close vents in case of our nasty summer & fall storms or check on the status of the dehumidifiers.

mlpeloquin

That is one of two reasons I installed vent covers on the vents. I can leave them open and not worry. Now hornets can get into the vent covers, but not past the inside screens. Don't ask me why I know. The second reason I put vent covers on is there are a lot of RVs that loose the vent covers in high wind. My neighbors son-in-law showed me his. He kept his locked down tight because he witness other RVs loosing them when going through the desert with high wind. He got into his camp site feeling smug only to see the stars up through where his vents were.

Miller0758

I'm in SC and mine sits in a storage yard most of the time. I leave the vents open and haven't had any mildew issues. The problem is the sun ... it has destroyed my decals. Consider covering it.

kowAlski631

That is one of two reasons I installed vent covers on the vents. I can leave them open and not worry. Now hornets can get into the vent covers, but not past the inside screens. Don't ask me why I know. The second reason I put vent covers on is there are a lot of RVs that loose the vent covers in high wind. My neighbors son-in-law showed me his. He kept his locked down tight because he witness other RVs loosing them when going through the desert with high wind. He got into his camp site feeling smug only to see the stars up through where his vents were.

I see what you're saying, however leaving vents open - with or without covers (we also have them) - is problematic where humidity is a problem. We have the kind of humidity that doesn't encourage sweating. The difference between east coast and wear coast weather is like night and day. We were extended an apology for the high humidity when we were in Nevada or Wyoming or Idaho (don't remember which). It was 30%. Right now our humidity is 90% - no, it's not raining.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm in SC and mine sits in a storage yard most of the time. I leave the vents open and haven't had any mildew issues. The problem is the sun ... it has destroyed my decals. Consider covering it.

You're in the Peedee. Grand Strand weather is different. I'm assuming this person is looking to store coastal.

Miller0758

I see what you're saying, however leaving vents open - with or without covers (we also have them) - is problematic where humidity is a problem. We have the kind of humidity that doesn't encourage sweating. The difference between east coast and wear coast weather is like night and day. We were extended an apology for the high humidity when we were in Nevada or Wyoming or Idaho (don't remember which). It was 30%. Right now our humidity is 90% - no, it's not raining.

- - - Updated - - -

You're in the Peedee. Grand Strand weather is different. I'm assuming this person is looking to store coastal.
I don't remember seeing where in SC they will be storing but you're probably right. Vents open, vents closed ... whatever is best but that doesn't have any impact on the exterior getting destroyed by the sun. Find a covered spot (good luck) or get a cover