Thread: Storing RV for summer in SC

1. Print this Post   #1

Storing RV for summer in SC

Hoping someone can give me some advise. We are snowbirds soon to put our 36 ft fifth wheel in storage until Xmas. It will be stored in a lot in SC in the sun. We have several pails of damp rid. Is there any out advice from some experienced folks? ie some say close it up right others say give it some ventilation.

2. Print this Post   #2
    Prolifically Gabby Member JohnDar's Avatar

Re: Storing RV for summer in SC

Remove batteries from all devices. Leave fridge doors ajar. Id remove the smoke and CO detectors, too, as high temperatures in a closed environment can kill the sensors. If you have covers over the roof vents, I leave the vents open about an inch just to help remove some of the summer heat. Cover the tires, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Camp Gotchurwallett
    John & Darlene (with feline fuzzbutts Ally, Merlin & Mickey)
    Max the Cat - RIP
    2009 GMC 3500HD SLT CC D/A DRW
    2009 Bighorn 3670RL

H.O.C. #1225

3. Print this Post   #3

We pull all of the batteries, doors ajar (refrigerator, cabinet, etc), damp rid in multiple locations, shades closed. We don't suggest ventilation since it's during hurricane season.
    Paul & MarthaWinston & Buddy (spoiled rotten canines)2012 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax 6.6L Turbo-Diesel V-8 with Allison 6-speed transmission2013 Big Horn 3670RL You're not too old and it's not too late!

4. Print this Post   #4

Inspect your slide seals, especially the ones under the rooms, for any damage.

We we used to store in FL over the winter and when we found some mildew it was always because an under slide seal had been breached in that area.
    Gary Powell

2013 Bighorn 3010 RE
    2015 Chevrolet 3500 SRW Diesel

5. Print this Post   #5

When we had a class C before our Big Horn, we were told to do ether of two things. If you have a power source, use a dehumidifier. Otherwise keep the top vents open and allow the air to flow in and out through them. I did not have power so I kept the vents open after putting vent covers over them. The windows never fogged and it never was damp inside. The only other thing would to keep it locked tight and use a water absorption product such as Dry-Z-Air and/or EVA-Dry. The best for the class C was to keep all the vents open. Both Dry-Z-Air and EVA-Dry work well, but Dry-Z-Air need to be drained out and new material out in every two to four weeks depending on just how humid it is. EVA-Dry can be recharged thus it is reusable, but again you need to check them every few weeks. I have used both in our fifth wheel when storing in the fall through spring. They work well. Remember anything with slides are not truly sealed like a drum and will let humid air in. Dry-Z-Air just inside the door on the floor and the EVA-Dry in the closets. We do not have a problem with humidity in the summer here.
    Marc & Carol with Luci & Abby the Boston Terriers

2013 GMC Denali Crew Cab with XTREME Bed Liner
    Air Lift System with remote, Huskey 26K Hitch

2014 3010RE Big Horn
    TrailAir Flex Air 5th Wheel Pin Box
    Goodyear G614 LT235/85R16 Tires
    Splendide Washer/Dryer Combo External Vent
    Keyless RV Lock
    Progressive Surge Protector EMSHW50C
    12V 20A Socket in UDC
    12V 15A Socket in Bedroom
    Torklift Glow Step and GlowGlide Handrail
    On-The-Go Water Softener
    Whole-House Filter System
    Disk Brakes
    All LED Lights

Converter Voltage & Current Monitor
    CNBOU 2000 Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter

Joy Rider Shocks

2014 Chapter Rally, Jackson, CA -------- 2017 Regional Rally, Canyonville, OR
    2014 Regional Rally, Sparks, NV
    2014 Chapter Rally, Temecula, CA
    2015 National Rally, Goshen, IN
    2016 National Rally, Las Vegas, NV
    2016 Regional Rally, Jackson, NV
    2016 Chapter Rally, Temecula, CA

6. Print this Post   #6

SC has a lot of humidity. In my reading of the OP, it seems that they aren't nearby to close vents in case of our nasty summer & fall storms or check on the status of the dehumidifiers.
    Paul & MarthaWinston & Buddy (spoiled rotten canines)2012 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax 6.6L Turbo-Diesel V-8 with Allison 6-speed transmission2013 Big Horn 3670RL You're not too old and it's not too late!

7. Print this Post   #7

That is one of two reasons I installed vent covers on the vents. I can leave them open and not worry. Now hornets can get into the vent covers, but not past the inside screens. Don't ask me why I know. The second reason I put vent covers on is there are a lot of RVs that loose the vent covers in high wind. My neighbors son-in-law showed me his. He kept his locked down tight because he witness other RVs loosing them when going through the desert with high wind. He got into his camp site feeling smug only to see the stars up through where his vents were.
    Marc & Carol with Luci & Abby the Boston Terriers

2013 GMC Denali Crew Cab with XTREME Bed Liner
    Air Lift System with remote, Huskey 26K Hitch

2014 3010RE Big Horn
    TrailAir Flex Air 5th Wheel Pin Box
    Goodyear G614 LT235/85R16 Tires
    Splendide Washer/Dryer Combo External Vent
    Keyless RV Lock
    Progressive Surge Protector EMSHW50C
    12V 20A Socket in UDC
    12V 15A Socket in Bedroom
    Torklift Glow Step and GlowGlide Handrail
    On-The-Go Water Softener
    Whole-House Filter System
    Disk Brakes
    All LED Lights

Converter Voltage & Current Monitor
    CNBOU 2000 Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter

Joy Rider Shocks

2014 Chapter Rally, Jackson, CA -------- 2017 Regional Rally, Canyonville, OR
    2014 Regional Rally, Sparks, NV
    2014 Chapter Rally, Temecula, CA
    2015 National Rally, Goshen, IN
    2016 National Rally, Las Vegas, NV
    2016 Regional Rally, Jackson, NV
    2016 Chapter Rally, Temecula, CA

8. Print this Post   #8

I'm in SC and mine sits in a storage yard most of the time. I leave the vents open and haven't had any mildew issues. The problem is the sun ... it has destroyed my decals. Consider covering it.
    John and Lisa Miller
    JR and Nicole
    SC HOC #2004
    Babe - Yellow Lab ;
    Lucy - Havanese
    Jingles - cat in charge

2016 Ram 3500 DRW Limited
    2009 Big Country 3490 RB

9. Print this Post   #9

Quote Originally Posted by mlpeloquin View Post
    That is one of two reasons I installed vent covers on the vents. I can leave them open and not worry. Now hornets can get into the vent covers, but not past the inside screens. Don't ask me why I know. The second reason I put vent covers on is there are a lot of RVs that loose the vent covers in high wind. My neighbors son-in-law showed me his. He kept his locked down tight because he witness other RVs loosing them when going through the desert with high wind. He got into his camp site feeling smug only to see the stars up through where his vents were.
    I see what you're saying, however leaving vents open - with or without covers (we also have them) - is problematic where humidity is a problem. We have the kind of humidity that doesn't encourage sweating. The difference between east coast and wear coast weather is like night and day. We were extended an apology for the high humidity when we were in Nevada or Wyoming or Idaho (don't remember which). It was 30%. Right now our humidity is 90% - no, it's not raining.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Miller0758 View Post
    I'm in SC and mine sits in a storage yard most of the time. I leave the vents open and haven't had any mildew issues. The problem is the sun ... it has destroyed my decals. Consider covering it.
    You're in the Peedee. Grand Strand weather is different. I'm assuming this person is looking to store coastal.

10. Print this Post   #10

Quote Originally Posted by kowAlski631 View Post
    I see what you're saying, however leaving vents open - with or without covers (we also have them) - is problematic where humidity is a problem. We have the kind of humidity that doesn't encourage sweating. The difference between east coast and wear coast weather is like night and day. We were extended an apology for the high humidity when we were in Nevada or Wyoming or Idaho (don't remember which). It was 30%. Right now our humidity is 90% - no, it's not raining.

- - - Updated - - -

You're in the Peedee. Grand Strand weather is different. I'm assuming this person is looking to store coastal.
    I don't remember seeing where in SC they will be storing but you're probably right. Vents open, vents closed ... whatever is best but that doesn't have any impact on the exterior getting destroyed by the sun. Find a covered spot (good luck) or get a cover
    John and Lisa Miller
    JR and Nicole
    SC HOC #2004
    Babe - Yellow Lab ;
    Lucy - Havanese
    Jingles - cat in charge

2016 Ram 3500 DRW Limited
    2009 Big Country 3490 RB