Landing gear position indicator

Occo

Hello All,
How many of you have jammed the landing gear up when retracting it and causing expensive damage? Well, I have and it made me mad and feeling stupid. The experience caused me to consult with my engineer son for a solution. We came up with something that will help to stop this from happening inexpensively and fairly easy to install. Enclosed are some pics and videos.

Needed is a good quality roller tip micro switch, 12v LED, fabricated mounting bracket, and some 22ga wire. A very simple circuit using a 12vdc source to the arm of the micro switch. The Normally Open contact to the +side of the LED. The common side of the LED to ground. Adjust the switch bracket on the gear leg to position the microswitch to activate before the leg retracts all the way in. Mount the LED right next to the 'EXTEND/RETRACT' switch. (see pics and video)

We could build you a kit to install yourself.

Attachments

• switch mounted.jpg
    switch mounted.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 50
  • switch detail.jpg
    switch detail.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 48
  • gear limit sw. .mp4
    7.7 MB
  • gear limit indicator .mp4
    3.4 MB

wdk450

Other people have simply painted lines on the landing gear legs showing the mechanical upper/lower limits of movement.

Occo

Other people have simply painted lines on the landing gear legs showing the mechanical upper/lower limits of movement.

That is fine if you can see the end of the tubing. When the tubing end is up inside the compartment and out of sight the white line is useless.

Gary521

If I recall my electric landing gear from Memory, I had a spring loaded pin the you pulled to extend the inner leg. If you retracted the landing gear too much, this pin would get crushed. I do not understand your problem. Perhaps a picture of the exterior leg would help us.
shopping

Occo

The legs are hard to see where a reference point for a painted line. I have been looking at the foot for a long time and that has been ok until my attention was diverted for a second and CLUNK!! This little fix is so easy to monitor and it is very inexpensive. Just a little helpful tool if wanted, no big deal..